Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Safe time to wait between LC and CYA

1. Back To Top    #1

Safe time to wait between LC and CYA

After putting in LC, how long should I wait before putting in Liquid Stabilizer to increase CYA?

Here are my numbers (I use TFT100 testkits):
    poolmath.jpg
    14,000 gals; IG gunite - Wet Edge Primera Stone finish; Sta-Rite/Pentair Intelliflo variable speed; Sta-Rite/Pentair system3 S7M400 cartrige; Sta-Rite Max-E-Therm 400 heater; (Pentair Rainbow 320 Chlorinator- for vacation use only); built-in automatic pool cover; Trident II UV system (on recall not currently used); built 10/31/2012; TFT-100; MX8 cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Safe time to wait between LC and CYA

CYA can be added at the same time. See instructions on how to add on this page: Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by JVTrain View Post
    CYA can be added at the same time. See instructions on how to add on this page: Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
    Thanks JVTrain.
    (I am using the Liquid form, so no need for extra steps - just pour, I suppose)
    14,000 gals; IG gunite - Wet Edge Primera Stone finish; Sta-Rite/Pentair Intelliflo variable speed; Sta-Rite/Pentair system3 S7M400 cartrige; Sta-Rite Max-E-Therm 400 heater; (Pentair Rainbow 320 Chlorinator- for vacation use only); built-in automatic pool cover; Trident II UV system (on recall not currently used); built 10/31/2012; TFT-100; MX8 cleaner

4. Back To Top    #4

I also noticed that you were targeting 30 ppm from 20 ppm in your Pool Math. Unless you're planning on using pucks later in the summer or off and on throughout the summer, I'd suggest going to at least 40 ppm CYA if not 50-60. You'll consume less chlorine that way based on your location. But you might just be working your way up to that slowly.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by JVTrain View Post
    I also noticed that you were targeting 30 ppm from 20 ppm in your Pool Math. Unless you're planning on using pucks later in the summer or off and on throughout the summer, I'd suggest going to at least 40 ppm CYA if not 50-60. You'll consume less chlorine that way based on your location. But you might just be working your way up to that slowly.
    Yes, you are correct, I intend to use 4 - 3" Trichlor Tabs about (32 0z) that should raise another ~10 ppm when on vacation. Moreover, I have an opaque automatic pool cover that is closed most of the time (~95% in non season to 80% season), so that will most likely lessen the chlorine usage by some. -Thanks.