We just purchased a mid-century home, with a ~28k gallon pool (is what I'm told). It has had a saftety cover on it for a couple years, and we are opening it for the first time. Hired someone to come clean it, but the pump was broken so we had that replaced. Pump is working, sand filter looks fine, it only has one skimmer but that appears to be working. Pool store told me to shock it with 6lbs of a 25lb bucket they sold me. The pool cleaner told me to dump the rest of it in - it was labeled Oxidizer (granules). I dumped that in, scum floated to the top, then dissipated. Pool cleaner came and said Oxidizer is not shock, and added a few more pounds of Smart Shock in it - water is no longer green and dark, but what I would describe a "milky blue". He said it would take some days to become clear, then he'd come back and test the water and adjust. The pump has been running since Friday (so 3+ days), and I don't see the water getting any clearer. I'm told to be patient, but shouldn't some water testing happen right now? I know I need to read the ABCs of pool chemicals, but I'm so swamped right now with moving in and with work, so I would prefer to trust the pool cleaner guy - but not sure now if I need a second opinion. This thing is getting to be a money pit!
Please be kind - I'm a little overwhelmed right now - there's no heater but I don't even want to go there right now until we can get the water right.