Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: First time I cleaned my filter by myself, it looked like this...Is this normal?

1. Back To Top    #1

First time I cleaned my filter by myself, it looked like this...Is this normal?

This is what my filter looked like when I cleaned it myself for my first time on 2/27/16. Is this how a dirty filter is supposed to look?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    IG, Plaster, 15,000 gal, Free-form (angular)
    Pentair FNSP 48 DE filter (48 sqft)
    Hayward SP3010X15AZ pump with 1.5 HP motor (installed 3/2015)
    Rock waterfall, large live oak shades half the pool
    Re-plastered April, 2017

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: First time I cleaned my filter by myself, it looked like this...Is this normal?

Looks pretty normal to me.. How many times do you backwash before you tear it down for a good cleaning.

What is your normal clean pressure and at what pressure are you backwashing or cleaning?

Jim R.

Edit.. have you put it back together yet? First time took me an hour and I thought I was going to have to call someone. Getting all the grids to line up in the right place and at the same time can be fun...
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Calder Spa.

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: First time I cleaned my filter by myself, it looked like this...Is this normal?

That looks pretty typical to me, maybe a few too many backwashes and too much DE on the recharges before you broke it down.

These might be helpful:
    DE Filter Cleaning Tutorial

Use and Care of DE Filters
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Jimrahbe View Post
    Looks pretty normal to me.. How many times do you backwash before you tear it down for a good cleaning.

What is your normal clean pressure and at what pressure are you backwashing or cleaning?

Jim R.

Edit.. have you put it back together yet? First time took me an hour and I thought I was going to have to call someone. Getting all the grids to line up in the right place and at the same time can be fun...
    I never did my own backwashes before this filter clean. I entrusted all maintenance to a pool guy for 2.5 years (as long as I've been living in this house with my first pool) and just last month cut ties with him. Before I did this filter clean, it was operating at 30-35 psi (well past the "clean filter" indicator mark ). After the cleaning, I added 10 quarts of D.E. thru the skimmer. I believe that is the correct volume of D.E. to fully charge my filter, but correct me if I'm wrong.

The pressure was 10 psi after the cleaning. I've backwashed 3 times since that 2/27 tear-down, each time when the pressure nudged past 20 psi. Post-backwashes, pressure drops back to ~12 psi. Also, every backwash I do is for 1.5 minutes, then I add another 5 qts D.E. thru the skimmer. Please let me know if that's not correct.

When I put the filter back together, everything fit into place without any hassle (guess I got lucky ). The most annoying/concerning part was the extremely loud squeaking sound that came from every quarter turn of my crescent wrench in tightening the barrel nut back onto the T-bolt. Is that sound normal?

Re-plastered April, 2017

5. Back To Top    #5

After a fresh cleaning, you do a full charge based on the manual. After a backwash, you add 80% of the full charge.

I've seen much worse.

Yes that wretched sound turning the bolt is normal
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    That looks pretty typical to me, maybe a few too many backwashes and too much DE on the recharges before you broke it down.

These might be helpful:
    DE Filter Cleaning Tutorial

Use and Care of DE Filters
    Thanks, I'll check those links out!

Re-plastered April, 2017

7. Back To Top    #7

It's not all black inside. You could have squeezed another month out of that!

Everyone else has said it all.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

8. Back To Top    #8

White lithium grease (WD-40 brand is ok) on the bolt threads helps reduce the sliding friction on the nut and t-bolt. I only hear the squeak when I get to the tightest point on the turn.

I would suggest far less with every backwash. I have a Pentair QuadDE-100 filter. I use 10lbs on a fresh recharge and never more than 4 pounds on a backwash. That is more than enough DE. You backwash far less than 50% of the DE (especially with only a 90sec backwash), using more than 50% of the fresh charge value will lead to excess DE sitting wasted in the bottom of the filter.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by JoyfulNoise View Post
    White lithium grease (WD-40 brand is ok) on the bolt threads helps reduce the sliding friction on the nut and t-bolt. I only hear the squeak when I get to the tightest point on the turn.

I would suggest far less with every backwash. I have a Pentair QuadDE-100 filter. I use 10lbs on a fresh recharge and never more than 4 pounds on a backwash. That is more than enough DE. You backwash far less than 50% of the DE (especially with only a 90sec backwash), using more than 50% of the fresh charge value will lead to excess DE sitting wasted in the bottom of the filter.
    Thanks for the tip! I'll definitely cut it back.

Re-plastered April, 2017