Chemicals Slipping Out of Control....

One more note...the sun isn't quite up here in Georgia yet. I mean it's light out but there was no sun to turn my back to when I tested. Could that impact?
yes, you want full sun. Brighter light will probably bring the number down a little.

When your run the test you can just keep,pouring the solution back and forth between the mixing bottle and tube until you are sure of the number.

Get chlorine in the water first. Use the following table to determine the target [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]

Other than that bring the CH up to 300 or so and you are good to go. Like I said, keep it clear of algae with the correct amount of chlorine and the CYA will slowly come down.

Thanks tlm5055!

So you don't think it is necessary to drain anymore out at this time correct? That is great news!

Question about adding chemicals with a reminder that we had been struggling with metals and staining. We were told not to shock the pool but to bring the chlorine level up slowly to avoid it turning green. I have the 10% liquid chlorine and the poolmath says to add 92 oz to bring it up to a level 6 which is the recommend amount for my CYA level. Should I add that at once or over multiple intervals? Over the past week I have added as much as 64 ounces at a time without any problem so I am wondering if we are in the clear?

Also, how long do I wait after adding chlorine to bring up CH?

Many, many thanks!

Baffled...what is happening with my chlorine?!?!

So after two drains (first time about 35%; second time almost 50%) we finally got our CYA down to 50 and did the happy dance. Of course, that threw all the other chemicals off and we had to add back...

So...

Last night I added 38 ounces of liquid bleach to take it from 3.5 to 6.
In truth, I was shocked I got a 3.5 reading when we had just finished filling up the pool with new water and had not added any chlorine. I expected 0.

About and hour later we added about about 3 pounds of baking soda.

This morning we added about 9 pounds of CH.

We got all of these numbers using pool math and then doing a little less as encouraged by others.

I just went to test everything and I have ZERO chlorine.

Does adding CH or Alkalinity mess with chlorine levels? I am at a loss.

Just when I thought things were finally going to get simple...they blow up on me!

Help!
KG

Re: Baffled...what is happening with my chlorine?!?!

Sorry...meant to include that.
FC - 0
PH - 7.5
CH - 250
TA - 80
CYA - 50
Water is crystal clear. It has been this entire time even when I had super high CYA numbers. We only drained because people were saying we would have a nightmare on our hands once it got really hot.

I just added 96 ounces of liquid chlorine.

Had you waited for the water to mix first? 3.5 FC sounds extremely high for a fresh fill, unless, of course, the pump hadn't yet run long enough to full mix the new water. :) I know from my recent fill that my city water is .5 FC, so when I did my nearly total refill, I used a .5 start and nearly nailed my target FC on the first try.

After getting us a full set of test numbers, I'd personally immediately apply enough chlorine using PoolMath to go from 0 to your target.

Edit - just saw you post your numbers. Can you test for CC (combined chlorine)?

Can you test for CC (combined chlorine)?

I'm confused. I thought once the solution remains clear that means there is no chlorine and you are supposed to stop the chlorine portion of the test? Is that not the case? Once it stayed clear I dumped and went onto to the CH test.

I had not let the pump run for a while come to think of it. In fact, it hadn't really run at all. We got home and turned off the hose, I turned on the filter and then immediately tested the water. So maybe I was starting from a much lower number and, thus, didn't add enough to begin with?

If the solution is clear after adding powder that means the FC is 0. After that you still add the 5 drops of R-0003 and if it turns pink, you count the drops to go clear again, and that is your CC.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The test will be most accurate following procedures exactly and understanding the visual interpretations Taylor published. Still, even your darkened test lets you know that you need a lot of FC just for normal maintainece, even more for shock. Unless someone says different, use 90 as your CYA for now.

We can retest and adjust CYA later. Since PH is 7.2 you're ready for this SLAM. Reread the SLAM page and ask any questions. Get it to CYA 90 shock level and keep it there. Test 2x a day min, first two days 3-4 even better if you can easily.

- - - Updated - - -

Just pour the bleach in the pool really slowly right in front of the return water jet, again really slowly. If pouring the whole jug would take 2 mins i can't imagine that threatening the plaster since you have algae to fight. Wait 30 mins between chemicals is general rule I believe.

I don't understand...I am 100% LOST.

For the second night in a row I have zero chlorine. None. Last night I had none and added 96 ounces of 10% LC. We did get 1.5 inches of rain last night but still. I should have SOMETHING???? Pool is crystal clear. First thing hubs said when he got home was "man...can't believe how good the pool looks!"

At this point I have no idea what to do.

FC - 0
CC - .5
CH - 300
TA - 80
PH - 7.5
CYA - 50

Help!
KG:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

30 minutes later...

FC - 13ppm
CC - somewhere between .5 and 1. After 1 drop there was the very slightest tinge of pink. Adding a second drop made it disappear.

Worried I did something wrong. When you say "add 10ppm of FC to the pool" I thought that meant add enough chlorine to get me to 10 ppm. Is that right? If so, why is it at 13? I added 153 ounces of 10% LC to my 12,000 gallon pool.

Thanks for your help again.
Kristina

That is what I meant and that is the calculation I get. Bleach might be a little stronger than 10% and/or the pool is smaller than 12k.

Wait another 30 minutes and test the FC and CC and report back.

It does not appear that you have anything in the pool quickly consuming your FC, so the only other thing that could be consuming it is the sun.
FC is only lost to organics in the pool or the sun.

Is it ok to do the test inside? It is dark here now.

We got the 12,000 gallon measurement from the pool store who had it in their system from the previous owners. It is a freeform pool so it is not easily measured. However, we used the methods of multiple sites and always came up with a number right around 12,000.

I always do my testing inside. The only thing that needs to be outside in the sun is the CYA test.

Are you swirling the water the entire time you are testing? Are you holding the bottle vertically over the tube and adding drops slowly so they hang and fall (like 1 per second)?
Do you have a SpeedStir?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.