I am ready to pull my hair out. We are going into our third season as pool owners. We have a 12,000 gallon in ground gunite pool. Last year we noticed this awful staining on our pool. We called the guy who opens and closes our pools and he explained it was likely a metal and we couldn't do anything about it until winter because chlorine had to be zero to treat.
In March, we treated the pool with Vitamin C and watched the stain clear up before our eyes. We were amazed! Our pool guy explained that we needed to treat the pool with Metal Free to get rid of the metal in the water and then be careful to bring the chlorine level up slowly. So we did that. We poured in one bottle of Metal Free, waited a week or so and then poured in another bottle. Then we filled our chlorinator duck with the 3" chlorine tablets and slowly started bringing our chlorine up.
We were doing GREAT.
After about a month we brought a water sample to the pool store to be tested. We explained what we did and they tested for metals and there were none in the water. Whoo hoo!
They said it was time to shock our pool and to add two pounds of shock.
We listened to them.
The next morning we had a green pool and that was when the fight began.
I called and explained what happened to my pool guy who replied "NOOOOOOOO!!!!!" and went on to explain that we got bad advice.
We purchased two more bottles of metal free as well as Cellulose to add to our Sand Filter. It took 48 hours but our pool returned to perfect. We ended up with two stains from the treatment. Not too bad...
We also purchased the CuLator Metal Remover bag to put in our skimmer to capture any additional metals.
Over the last two weeks we have been noticing more and more stains appearing. We have no idea where the metal is coming from and cannot figure out what to do about it. But THAT isn't even why I am posting.
On Wednesday my chlorinator broke and I had to purchase a new one. We also received our new solar cover and put it on the pool. Since Wednesday we have had ZERO chlorine in the pool. Scarred from the last time I shocked the pool, I added 1/2 pound of shock to the pool Thursday morning. Chlorine was still zero on yesterday morning. I added another 1/2 pound yesterday morning and ensured that my chlorinator is all the way open (to the setting of a 25,000 gallon pool) and still my chlorine is zero. From the lack of chlorine in the pool for two days now my pH is low.
I feel like my pool chemicals are slipping out of control and I have no idea what to do. I am scared to death to shock my pool and have it turn green again. I don't know where the metal is coming from (I don't have a heater). And I don't understand how you can have a reading that shows zero metals in the pool, shock it, and have metals be off the charts.