How long to run Stenner pump?

dschribs

Mar 14, 2013
CT
For those of you w fixed rate Stenner pumps, how do you go about calculating how long the pump should run for?

I am in the process of securing everything I need to set up my Stenner system for this season. I just bought my barrel

http://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-19418/Drums/Plastic-Drum-15-Gallon-Closed-Top-Natural

and I'll be grabbing this pump shortly.

http://www.lockewell.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_6_19_24&products_id=145

The pump will be on separate digital timer and I'm wondering how I would go about figuring out how long the timer should stay on for? I would normally shoot for a FC reading of around 8/9 when I was manually adding bleach once a day. My pool gets FULL sun from sun up to sun down all day long. I keep my CYA around 40.

Thanks!!

Dan

The 45MPHP10 pumps 10 gal/day=1.667 qts/hr=.889 ounces/min
Lets say you find you normally need 1 qt/day, which is 32 ounces. You would run the Stenner for 32/.889=36min.
I just set mine up. I'm monitoring it pretty close, with a low amount of run time due to cold water temps. I expect the demand to change as the water warms.

With full sun and 40 CYA, 3 ppm/day FC loss would be reasonable. That would be 93 ounces of 8.25% in a pool your size.

93 ounces/ .89 ounces per minute = 104 minutes per day. Testing every day will tell you if that's too high or too low.

You probably already know your pool's appetite, so if it's normally more or less than 93 ounces, adjust accordingly. I'd manually add to get to your target before starting the pump and just see how well it maintains things.

I have been more on the 93 ounces side the past few years when I add manually.

Thanks to both of you!!

Testing every day is fine but I am so looking forward to not having to add bleach each and every day. I can't tell you how many pair of pants I have ruined!!!

Another nice thing that I'm finding is since I can add chlorine at any time, I split it up between two parts of the day. I used to overshoot the target FC level a bit so it would never drop too much by the next chlorine addition. Now I pretty much stay at the target level, knowing that there are more frequent doses.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.