New to Pools - Pool Closed for FOUR YEARS.....HELP!

You are correct. Once it stays red you are done.

You are learning so much! Great job!

Kim
When he says raise it 10ppm......does that mean I put my goal at 10 in pool math? Using pool math and TFP goals, it tells me to go to 5ppm fc. Just double checking I am going to ten and not five. [emoji2] getting smarter by the minute!! [emoji12]

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

OMG - I had heard about wiping the bottle after every drop and something about static electricity, but, because I KNOW EVERYTHING, I ignored this step and now, since you said WHAT the static electricity can do - SMALLER DROPS - it makes entirely too much sense why my results are off - 110 one day, 140 the next!!!!!

I just love reading the posts - learn everyday!!!

Can't wait to do it CORRECTLY in the morning!

Sorry for the late response. Yes you should put 10 in the Target column for the free chlorine. This is just a quick test to see if you have ammonia in the water to worry about doubtful but might as well check.

OMG - I had heard about wiping the bottle after every drop and something about static electricity, but, because I KNOW EVERYTHING, I ignored this step and now, since you said WHAT the static electricity can do - SMALLER DROPS - it makes entirely too much sense why my results are off - 110 one day, 140 the next!!!!!

I just love reading the posts - learn everyday!!!

Can't wait to do it CORRECTLY in the morning!

You are doing the same thing I do. Reading everything to learn as much as I can. You never know what you will need in the future. Good job!

Kim:cat:

No problem at all! I'm just grateful you're here to help! :)

So, last night because I wasn't sure I just followed the pool math using the TFP goals. Target FC was 5 and it told me to add like 176 ounces of bleach or something like that so I did. But, when I checked this morning, I am at 9 FC. Do you still want me to try and put it to 10? My pool size might be off. When I use a pool volume calculator it had me at 26700. When I went out and measured with a measuring tape, it had me at a higher figure so what I did was I took the two figures and averaged them. If you think it is wiser to back it down to the 26700 then I definitely can do that.

Thank you!

Well first thing is first, you don't have any ammonia in your water which is what Jason was asking you to check for. So your next step is to bring your CYA up to 30 so you A, don't risk damaging your liner and B, protect the chlorine from sunlight.

Not sure why it jumped so high unless you are using a stronger chlorine than you think. I plugged your measurements in to a different calculator and got 29k, so you should be in the ballpark, not off by nearly half. Anyway, the next step is to get some CYA in there and you can try to figure your capacity out while you do that. I would maybe only put enough CYA in to bring you to 20 and see what you end up at. That might give you a better clue as to how close you are at measuring your capacity.

Well first thing is first, you don't have any ammonia in your water which is what Jason was asking you to check for. So your next step is to bring your CYA up to 30 so you A, don't risk damaging your liner and B, protect the chlorine from sunlight.

Not sure why it jumped so high unless you are using a stronger chlorine than you think. I plugged your measurements in to a different calculator and got 29k, so you should be in the ballpark, not off by nearly half. Anyway, the next step is to get some CYA in there and you can try to figure your capacity out while you do that. I would maybe only put enough CYA in to bring you to 20 and see what you end up at. That might give you a better clue as to how close you are at measuring your capacity.

Thank you! Curious.....how can you tell if there is ammonia or not?

If you put chlorine in and it is gone 10 minutes later, that indicates ammonia. Since the pool was closed for so long there wasn't much concern for it, but doing a quick check wasn't a terrible idea.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
OH, OK. That makes sense! Thanks! :)

I am reading around pool school and I am not quite sure about which form of CYA or stabilizer I should use. I googled CYA for pools and found several different things. One thing was a Natural Chemistry Liquid Stabilizer.....not sure if this is OK? My local big box store sells it. They also have powdered versions...but one video said that if you're using powdered and have a vinyl liner then you should dilute it with water for 24 hours...

I have all the big box stores where I am and some smaller hardware stores so I can get whatever is needed I am sure...I just want to make sure I'm buying the correct thing and then adding it properly. Sorry for all of the questions. Chemistry is not my strong suit and my O.C.D. and analytical skills make this process a little hairier then it probably needs to be because I am over analyzing everything.

Thanks again for your help everyone! I hope I can return the favor one day for others :D

You can use either liquid or granular. Granular costs much less and the preferred method here is to put it in an old sock or nylon and suspend it in front of the return so it can dissolve. In you prefer to use liquid you can just dose it however the instructions on the bottle tell you to. Once you add the liquid or have the sock empty assume your CYA level is whatever you dosed it to and give it a day or two to test for it again.

My thought on the site is don't return the favor, pay it forward. Once you have cleared up your pool and start to understand it a bit better don't be shy about welcoming others to the site and chiming in when you have information to share. We all knew next to nothing about pools when we started, I didn't join the site with an "expert" badge on :p TFP is also a non-profit organization that, in order to remain impartial, does not allow advertisers. As such there are supporter options available if you are so inclined at some point in the future.

You can use either liquid or granular. Granular costs much less and the preferred method here is to put it in an old sock or nylon and suspend it in front of the return so it can dissolve. In you prefer to use liquid you can just dose it however the instructions on the bottle tell you to. Once you add the liquid or have the sock empty assume your CYA level is whatever you dosed it to and give it a day or two to test for it again.

My thought on the site is don't return the favor, pay it forward. Once you have cleared up your pool and start to understand it a bit better don't be shy about welcoming others to the site and chiming in when you have information to share. We all knew next to nothing about pools when we started, I didn't join the site with an "expert" badge on [emoji14] TFP is also a non-profit organization that, in order to remain impartial, does not allow advertisers. As such there are supporter options available if you are so inclined at some point in the future.
Thank you very much!!!! Very helpful! :)

Get the powder CYA. Put it in a sock or two. Let them hang (tied to a chair or such) in the water. When you have a moment squeeze the the socks. You should see a big, white could come out. That is the CYA! Once all of the CYA is dissolved and mixed in the water good you can test for it. It MIGHT go up a little after that but on the most part we are finding it shows up pretty fast on the test.

Kim:cat:

STATUS UPDATE:

Increased CYA yesterday. New test results as of this morning:

FC: 8
CC: 1
TC: 9
CH: 165
TA: 110
CYA: 35

So.....how are we looking?

Oh, I should also note that I used 20ppm as my target and it's obvious my pool size is way off. I also calculated it at the 26,700 which is 3 feet on short end and 8 feet on deep end. I cannot imagine it's much smaller than that. It is a standard 18×36 that's 3 feet deep for the first 12.5 feet and then it slopes down to the 8 foot section.

Sorry to jump in the middle. You can wait for the folks that have been helping all along if you prefer.

But now that you have the CYA established, you can start to SLAM which will make the biggest difference in clearing up the pool.

I believe you have read the SLAM procedure and are familiar with the CYA/chlorine chart. With your CYA at 35, the appropriate SLAM level for FC is 14. When I slam I usually aim a little high since it will be dropping pretty quickly and continuously at first especially until you start getting close to clean.

The key is to test often, especially at first, and keep that FC at or a little above the SLAM level continuously until you pass the OCLT. Also keep brushing so the FC can penetrate any biofilm to keep killing. And keep a close eye on your filter and clean it when it needs it. As the SLAM does it's job the dead algae will plug the filter over and over. The FC kills it and the filter takes it out of the water and clears up your water.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Sorry OCLT is overnight chlorine loss test. It is in the SLAM procedure. As long as you have active algae the FC will keep dropping as it is consumed by the killing process. Once the FC holds overnight it means there is no more algae.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.