Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Why?

1. Back To Top    #1

Why?

TFP is one of the very few who recommend the Calcium level to be 350-450 with a SWG in a plaster pool. Most are much lower.
    How come?

Thanks
    35,000 Gal. - 40x20x8 - Plaster - SWG Pentair IC 60 - Barracuda G3 Vacuum - Hayward c1750 Cartridge Filter - Blue Torrent VS 1.5hp pump - Pool is 45 years old.

"I'd build a deck over my pool if I didn't have a SWG"

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Why?

Quote Originally Posted by Philo View Post
    TFP is one of the very few who recommend the the level to be 350-450 with a SWG in a plaster pool. Most are much lower.
    How come?

Thanks
    Are you referring to the Calcium Hardness?
    15k Gallon In Ground Saltwater Gunite Pool and Spa w/ Overflow
    Dolphin Nautilus Plus Pool Cleaner
    Main Filter Pump - 1.5HP Pentair Whisperflo connected to Triton II Sand Filter
    Spa Pump - 2HP Pentair Whisperflo w/ 2HP Polaris Spa Air Blower
    Resilience PSC3 SWCG

3. Back To Top    #3

The NPC and most SWG manufactures state 200-400. I'm not sure why the charts here recommend a slightly higher level for SWG users (someone will chime in), but the difference is pretty negligible if pH is maintained properly.
    Helpful Links: Pool Chemistry 101 - Recommended Levels - Recommended Chemicals - FC/CYA Chart - SLAM Instructions - Pool Math
    Test Kits:
    TF-100 - Taylor K2006 - SpeedStir Upgrade - Taylor K-1766 Salt Test
    My Pool:
    28k IG built May 2015 - Autopilot SWG - Pentair VS Pump/DE Filter/Heat Pump

4. Back To Top    #4

If the CH is kept on the higher side, the TA can be kept lower to help prevent the pH from rising. These numbers will help maintain the CSI in range.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

5. Back To Top    #5

I'm interested in this too. My CH was 170 and I have a SWG gunite/plaster pool. Someone recommended bumping it up some to at least 250 so I don't leach Calcium from the plaster. The previous owner must have been adding Calcium routinely bc he left a big 5 gallon bucket of it. I had some scaling around my waterfalls (moderate amount) and minimal amount on the tile line, but I don't know if that can be attributed to the previous owners letting the pH routinely become too high. It was at 8.0 when we first moved in about a month ago. Since then I've brought it down to 7.4 and now I'm questioning whether or not I should up the CH?
    15k Gallon In Ground Saltwater Gunite Pool and Spa w/ Overflow
    Dolphin Nautilus Plus Pool Cleaner
    Main Filter Pump - 1.5HP Pentair Whisperflo connected to Triton II Sand Filter
    Spa Pump - 2HP Pentair Whisperflo w/ 2HP Polaris Spa Air Blower
    Resilience PSC3 SWCG

6. Back To Top    #6

What is the fill water CH and how often do you need to add fill water? If it is high enough, the pool will have 200 CH soon enough. For now, keep the pH 7.6/7.8 range.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by CajunGuy View Post
    I'm interested in this too. My CH was 170 and I have a SWG gunite/plaster pool. Someone recommended bumping it up some to at least 250 so I don't leach Calcium from the plaster. The previous owner must have been adding Calcium routinely bc he left a big 5 gallon bucket of it. I had some scaling around my waterfalls (moderate amount) and minimal amount on the tile line, but I don't know if that can be attributed to the previous owners letting the pH routinely become too high. It was at 8.0 when we first moved in about a month ago. Since then I've brought it down to 7.4 and now I'm questioning whether or not I should up the CH?
    The thing that matters with preventing calcium scale/plaster damage is keeping CSI below .6 and above -.6. The recommended levels are designed to keep you within this range.

You can calculate your exact CSI with pool math by entering pH, TA, CH, CYA, Temp, Salt and Borates (if you have them).
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html
    Pool School - Calcium Scaling

That is all a bit beyond the "just getting started" category, but you don't really need to worry about calculating CSI if you stick to these guidelines: Pool School - Recommended Levels

I think I can answer the original question in this thread though. Salt and CH have opposite effects on CSI - the extra CH is to balance out the added salt with SWG users.
    Helpful Links: Pool Chemistry 101 - Recommended Levels - Recommended Chemicals - FC/CYA Chart - SLAM Instructions - Pool Math
    Test Kits:
    TF-100 - Taylor K2006 - SpeedStir Upgrade - Taylor K-1766 Salt Test
    My Pool:
    28k IG built May 2015 - Autopilot SWG - Pentair VS Pump/DE Filter/Heat Pump

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by ping View Post
    If the CH is kept on the higher side, the TA can be kept lower to help prevent the pH from rising. These numbers will help maintain the CSI in range.
    This is exactly what I was going to suggest was behind the reasoning.

In reality, you can not keep tight control on the CH as it will usually constantly rise due to evaporation (unless you have a lot of rain). So you need to compensate with the pH level you maintain to keep the CSI in range.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!