Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Slamming away....

1. Back To Top    #1

Slamming away....

Started the slam process on Tuesday...my cya is 80 and I have 38 as my fc. Cc is .5 I am beginning to see outline of my drain in deep end. Only lost .5 of chlorine over night. My question is do I keep the free chlorine level up by adding more bleach in the morning and night since water is still greenish in deep end and cloudy in shallow? Or should I just give it more time to clear? My guess is to keep adding but didn't want to cause harm to pool by keeping levels so high...thoughts??
    12k gallon inground pool with vinyl liner. Sandfilter, hayward 1.5 hp pool pump. Pool is approx 15 yrs.old. Liner is four years old. TF100 testing kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Slamming away....

Your instinct is correct - keep adding and maintain that SLAM/Shock FC level until you do indeed pass all 3 SLAM criteria. Even when the water starts to look clear, don't stop with any of the SLAM requirements until you pass. Algae is quite resilient and can return if you let-up. Good luck!
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

It won't cause harm to equipment and liner to keep that high correct?
    12k gallon inground pool with vinyl liner. Sandfilter, hayward 1.5 hp pool pump. Pool is approx 15 yrs.old. Liner is four years old. TF100 testing kit.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Herbie View Post
    It won't cause harm to equipment and liner to keep that high correct?
    As far as I understand, as long as your FC and CYA are within normal tolerances for their relationship, there should be no issues.

~Kevin (MN)
    13.5k gal, 24' Round AG Vinyl
    2HP Waterway Pump, 200sqft Hayward Element Filter
    BBB Method & AuquaSmarte Inline Chlorinator, TF-100 Test Kit
    Kevin, TFP Believer & Supporter
    (Yup, I drank the pool water)
    13.5K gal, 24' Round AG Vinyl, TF-100 Test Kit
    2HP Waterway Pump, 200 SqFt Hayward Element Filter
    Recommendations: Pool School, TFTestkits & Pool Math

5. Back To Top    #5

Kevin is correct. The CYA in your pool not only protects the FC from the sun, but also serves to protect the pool and swimmers from the effects of chlorine as long as they are balanced together as noted on the Chlorine/CYA Chart (link below). Have a nice day.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

6. Back To Top    #6

Do what you can to improve circulation in the deep end. If you can point a return eyeball down, do it. Open the main drain if you have one. If not, connect the vacuum and tilt in sideways or upside down so it acts as a main drain. You want whatever is suspended in the water into the filter so it can get removed. And don't neglect brushing and those hiding places like inside ladders. Water problems
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks guys appreciate it. Didn't think about turning the vacuum upside down.