How Jacked up is my water ?

Apr 15, 2016
Dothan
This is long sorry but you need some background .This is a new pool about 2 weeks old the day after it was filled a guy with an excavator ran over my overflow line unknown to anyone the day after that it started to rain a lot !I ended up with the water 1/4 inch from the top of the pool .The builder showed up a day later cleared the over flow line then dropped off the planet! Water level was perfect after that .I assumed the pool builder was checking on it till he handed it over to me (wrong ) so 4 days later I had a low salt petri dish for two or three days ! I added salt & water got swg going again . I found you guys about 2 days later then added some bleach ordered a test kit which I got yesterday This is where I am at now .

4/21/2016 7:15am air temp 65 water temp 72
OTO test PH 7.5 CL 15<30 ORANGE
DPD test FC 24.5 CC 0 TC 24.5 CH 100 TA 200 CYA 40

Fill Water CL5 BR10 PH 7.5

Today I backwashed the filter Start up press was 13 psi added water to proper level added 320 oz of 10% bleach if my pool math is correct I should be at 33 FC target is 28 I cannot babysit the pool because I haven't moved in yet (end of the month I will) The water has started to clear some I can see the sides on the deep end now I will check chemistry again in the morning am I missing anything ? This is South Alabama your always about 10 min from a thunder storm!:confused:

Your CYA is low for a SWG pool, but don't raise it yet. Since you need to "SLAM" your pool, you might as well save on bleach. :) Your FC Shock/SLAM level is actually 16, so you can let that FC level drop a bit. That high and you're not making it go faster, only losing the extra FC to the sun. You'll need to follow everything on the SLAM page (link below), but that may tough if you're not living there yet. Do your best. Also, would you mind clarifying exactly which test kit you ordered? Thanks.

your cya is low for a swg pool, but don't raise it yet. Since you need to "slam" your pool, you might as well save on bleach. :) your fc shock/slam level is actually 16, so you can let that fc level drop a bit. That high and you're not making it go faster, only losing the extra fc to the sun. You'll need to follow everything on the slam page (link below), but that may tough if you're not living there yet. Do your best. Also, would you mind clarifying exactly which test kit you ordered? Thanks.
tf-100

It sounds like you're SLAMming, so don't bother checking anything but FC & CC until it clears. The more often you brush and add bleach to maintain the FC levels, the faster it will go. Since it's only a couple weeks old, you shouldn't have huge amounts of soggy debris to scoop out. It'll probably turn blue-grey in a day and slowly clear for a few days after. Watch the filter pressure.

Just so you know, the fastest SLAM I recall here was three days -- but that guy was obsessed and got up every two hours all night long for three days to test and dose and brush and vacuum.

We got ya! Take a deep breath...........you are on the right path now with your own test kit. I am going to give you a link since your plaster is new:

Pool School - Start-up New Plaster

I am also going to give you the links and such I give to all new people:

Print these out:

Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule

Pool School - Recommended Levels

Bookmark these:

Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Make sure to ask any and all questions you might have no matter how small! We have all been where you are at one point.

Kim :cat:

We got ya! Take a deep breath...........you are on the right path now with your own test kit. I am going to give you a link since your plaster is new:

Pool School - Start-up New Plaster

I am also going to give you the links and such I give to all new people:

Print these out:

Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule

Pool School - Recommended Levels

Bookmark these:

Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Make sure to ask any and all questions you might have no matter how small! We have all been where you are at one point.

Kim :cat:
Thanks already done! Chris [emoji3]

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I asked about halving my sample size to 5 ml Then I read this (For extremely high FC levels, you can use 5ml sample water and 5ml chlorine-free water (e.g. distilled water); then each drop of R-0871 counts 1ppm FC/CC. This can save on test reagent.) so I still need 10 ml sample ? Or can I just use 5 ml of pool water to test? Confused...

It's still only a 5mL sample. Just that some folks have trouble seeing 5mL in their tube. So by adding the distilled water, it might be easier to see. It's still just 5mL of pool water so that's what matters for the factor of 1ppm

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.