Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hayward H200 pool heater

1. Back To Top    #1

Hayward H200 pool heater

I have a Hayward H200FDN I believe. I tried opening my pool yesterday. the pump is working fine but heater not working. When I try to change the heater from standbys to pool or spa mode nothing happens. The light for standby is lite. What could be the problem? Where should I start? Any suggestions?
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Hayward H200 pool heater

What you have is a Hayward ED2 heater. The FD is the newer units. Does it at least display the temp on the display? No error codes on the display?
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by ps0303 View Post
    What you have is a Hayward ED2 heater. The FD is the newer units. Does it at least display the temp on the display? No error codes on the display?
    No. The only think that's on is the standby light

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

So when you push the mode button does it go into pool or spa mode? If it does not switch to either of those modes you could have an issue with the keypad or the board. NO control system right?
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

5. Back To Top    #5

Correct. When I push the mode button nothing happens. The mode button light stays in standby. Is there a way to test the key pad?

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Not that I have ever seen other than plugging in a new one. However, on this model you have to buy the entire assembly including the board. Here is the part number, HAXCPA1932.
    Paul

7. Back To Top    #7

If I unhook every switch wire and jumper them wires shouldn't the heat try to come on

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

No it will not come on. The keypad controls the heater on/off unless you have a automation system and then it would control it.
    Paul

9. Back To Top    #9

does anyone no how to jumper or bye pass the gas valve to see if it's working?

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

I do!

Before doing this, do me a favor, press REALLY hard om the mode button. Sometimes you can use the handle of a screw driver.
    Paul

11. Back To Top    #11

I will try with screw driver tomorrow. I tried pushing very hard. Wingled my figure around on the mode button. I bye passed the pressure switch. It seems to be working. The little tab goes in and out out and pushes the switch from open to close. Measured with ohms meter. I also bye passed the limit switch to. With no wires attack it had continuity. With wires jumpers I try to push the mode button still nothing. So I want to test the gas valve, thermostat, and the igniter. But I not sure how to test either one yet. I also cleaned the infinitor metal I case it needs a ground. I also have about 28 volts out of the transformer. Is there a way to jumper the four wires coming off the key pad to the circuit board?

12. Back To Top    #12

I jumper end the gas valve right from the transformer and that works. So I am left with igniter, thermostat, or keypad. Does anyone know I I should test thermostat or igniter?

13. Back To Top    #13

In the Industry

All those parts might work as you are testing them but you will never know if the control board works which is what controls all the components in that heater. I would say it's safe to say that the unit works but you need to replace the keypad and or control board.
    Paul

14. Back To Top    #14

I think I might have it. I took apart the keypad and I don't have continuity between the mode center contact and the connector. But all other pins work

- - - Updated - - -

I see a guy one ebay sells them. Anyone know of a good place to get one?

15. Back To Top    #15

In the Industry

Yep the keypad is bad. For this model Hayward doesn't sell the keypads separately like the newer heaters. I haven't tried the Insync ones. Give it a shot and let us know if it works OK.
    Paul

16. Back To Top    #16

I replaced mine with the insync one a few yesrs back and it works great. The guy selling them designed it himself as a replacement instead of having to buy the whole thing. Probably save you a few hundred dollars. I recommend buying the insync one.

17. Back To Top    #17

He also sells a cover to put on to keep the elements from affecting it.

18. Back To Top    #18

Order one from eBay. $42 from CA. Suppose to be here by May 2. I will let everyone no. I have learn a lot about the heaters. They are not as scary to work on now. Auctaully kinda easy to trouble shoot

19. Back To Top    #19

If I am getting a "HF" fault code now. Could that be a bad igniter or a bad gas value?

20. Back To Top    #20

In the Industry

Is the gas turned on to the unit? Is the gas valve on? Could be a bad gas valve.

HF means Flame present with gas valve “OFF” error

IF is usually an indicator a bad igniter.
    Paul

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast