Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: SWG output compared to bleach

1. Back To Top    #1

SWG output compared to bleach

I may install a new pump and SWG next week.

I know that 24oz of 8.25% bleach raises my FC 1 ppm.

how does that compare to pounds of chlorine that the SWG produces?
    In ground, 14,000 gallon, white plaster, unheated, stone waterfall, DE Filter, Rainbow 320 Cl, Polaris 3900, FloVis flow meter, F100 test kit, Circupool RJ30+ SWG, Circupool VJ1/Speck Badu EcoM3V variable speed pump.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: SWG output compared to bleach

2 oz of Chlorine gas adds 1.1 FC to 14000 gallons of water.

I'm not really that smart. It's down at the bottom of poolmath under Effects of Adding Chemicals.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks
    In ground, 14,000 gallon, white plaster, unheated, stone waterfall, DE Filter, Rainbow 320 Cl, Polaris 3900, FloVis flow meter, F100 test kit, Circupool RJ30+ SWG, Circupool VJ1/Speck Badu EcoM3V variable speed pump.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by WASP View Post
    I may install a new pump and SWG next week.

I know that 24oz of 8.25% bleach raises my FC 1 ppm.

how does that compare to pounds of chlorine that the SWG produces?
    Part of the confusion around these calculations is caused by the fact that you are (unintentionally, of course) mixing units. The "8.25%" listed on a Clorox bottle is weight percent (wt%) NaOCl (sodium hydroxide). But what you are adding to your pool is a measured volume of the solution (24oz of bleach). So, to figure out how that corresponds to weight of available chlorine (Cl2), one has to do a few calculations and you need to know what the specific gravity (ratio of bleach density to water density) of the bleach used.

So here's the math-

wt% Available chlorine = wt% NaOCl * ((Cl2 molecular weight) / (NaOCl molecular weight)) = 8.25% * (70.906/74.442) = 7.858%

Vol % of Available chlorine (also known as "Trade %") = wt% available chlorine * spec gravity = 7.858 * (~1.11) = 8.722%

So, the bleach you added is -

Vol. of available chlorine = 8.722% * 24oz = 2.1oz chlorine

Weight of available chlorine = Vol. of available chlorine * specific gravity = 2.1 oz * 1.11 = 1.88 oz by weight

So, if you put 1.88oz into PoolMath with your pool volume (14,000 gallons), you'll get 1ppm FC. So, 1.88oz by weight of chlorine gas is equal to 24oz by volume of 8.25% bleach.....or you could just do it like Richard320 did and use PoolMath as all of the equations, calculations, assumptions of specific density, etc, etc, are all built in.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by JoyfulNoise View Post
    Part of the confusion around these calculations is caused by the fact that you are (unintentionally, of course) mixing units. The "8.25%" listed on a Clorox bottle is weight percent (wt%) NaOCl (sodium hydroxide). But what you are adding to your pool is a measured volume of the solution (24oz of bleach). So, to figure out how that corresponds to weight of available chlorine (Cl2), one has to do a few calculations and you need to know what the specific gravity (ratio of bleach density to water density) of the bleach used.

So here's the math-

wt% Available chlorine = wt% NaOCl * ((Cl2 molecular weight) / (NaOCl molecular weight)) = 8.25% * (70.906/74.442) = 7.858%

Vol % of Available chlorine (also known as "Trade %") = wt% available chlorine * spec gravity = 7.858 * (~1.11) = 8.722%

So, the bleach you added is -

Vol. of available chlorine = 8.722% * 24oz = 2.1oz chlorine

Weight of available chlorine = Vol. of available chlorine * specific gravity = 2.1 oz * 1.11 = 1.88 oz by weight

So, if you put 1.88oz into PoolMath with your pool volume (14,000 gallons), you'll get 1ppm FC. So, 1.88oz by weight of chlorine gas is equal to 24oz by volume of 8.25% bleach.....or you could just do it like Richard320 did and use PoolMath as all of the equations, calculations, assumptions of specific density, etc, etc, are all built in.
    Thank you for the explanation. Though it did make my brain hurt. College chemistry was over 30 years ago. Pool Math is an awesome application.

6. Back To Top    #6

Matt is a technical Tour de Force, and just as smart as Pool Math.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem