Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: To SLAM or not to SLAM?

1. Back To Top    #1

To SLAM or not to SLAM?

I have been worried that i was losing too much FC during the days so I did an overnight test. Last night I had 4.5 & this morning 4.0 with .5 cc. Should I be concerned enough to SLAM?

14,000 gallon pool, plaster, Pentair FNS 60 DE, Variable speed pump, Chandler, AZ (Phoenix area)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: To SLAM or not to SLAM?

Borderline IMO. I prefer to do the OCLT starting up at least at 10ppm.

How does the water look? What is your CYA?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

CYA is 35. Water is clear. I'll try OCLT from 10 & see.

14,000 gallon pool, plaster, Pentair FNS 60 DE, Variable speed pump, Chandler, AZ (Phoenix area)

4. Back To Top    #4

Raise your CYA up to 50ppm and your FC loss will be less. The sun is starting to get intense.

I just bumped my CYA up from 40 to 80ppm for my SWG ... with no change to the SWG output, my FC is a good bit higher than it was. In fact, I meant to turn down the output over the weekend.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

5. Back To Top    #5

Seriously? I thought 30-35 was ideal. I just drained it to get it down again. I'm in AZ Phoenix area

6. Back To Top    #6

I know you are in PHX, I am in Tucson.

TFP recommendations are 30-50ppm, depending on your level of sun exposure.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

7. Back To Top    #7

Ok thx. I hadn't read anywhere that u lose less FC with higher cya. Since you're in Tucson, how much FC have u been losing in a day? How about in summer?

8. Back To Top    #8

Don't know, I run a SWG which is constantly adding FC.

It is fairly typical to have to add 2-4ppm of FC daily.
    It is a little counter-intuitive, since when you raise the CYA level, you need to maintain a higher FC level, but in fact you lose less ppm daily.
    You kind kind of think of the CYA as protecting a % of the FC. The higher the CYA, the higher % of FC protected. The danger with going too high though is that if a problem develops, extremely high FC are required.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

9. Back To Top    #9

To SLAM or not to SLAM?

Need some advice after a major screwup. I have stenner auto chlorinator. My power went out & even though the pump says it has batter backup it failed to kick in. So I had to reset my time & timer. I set it to start at 10pm & accidentally set the end time for 1115am & didn't realize it until day 2. The stenner dumped 12 gallons of chlorine into my pool over that period of time. My chlorine ppm is 26. With a cya of 40, what do u recommend? Let it come down by itself? Should I be worried about anything? What's the safe level I can swim?

10. Back To Top    #10

Meant to say the stenner dumped 12 gallons in without me realizing it.

11. Back To Top    #11

FC will come down on it's own due to loss from the sun. 26 ppm is just above shock level for 60 ppm CYA, shouldn't hurt anything. Seems a little high to be swimming until it comes down to at least 16 for your CYA.
    TF-100 kit, SpeedStir, Sample Sizer. Still in early stages of pool planning

12. Back To Top    #12

The sun will burn it off quickly. If your pool gets full sun I bet you're under 20 FC by dusk tonight. Heck - 12 gallons for a pool your size should be upwards of 80 ppm FC. So you've likely already burned off the majority of it.
    John - 16,000 gallon | in ground | pebble | Triton II sand filter | TF100 | speedstir | Hayward Phoenix 2x

13. Back To Top    #13

It's already down to 11ppm. I'm assuming because it me 110 degrees outside & cya is 40 so any ppm above a certain amount will burn extra quick.