Plaster finally going in ... Bi Carb Questions and possible guidance

Finally...about full!

5dd8b0338550f0b21d8963c3faf54908.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Since the PH has stayed stable, is that odd or unusual? Anything to be concerned about? Should I aerate with my water features?

I added enough 8.25% bleach to get 1.5 ppm sanitizer reading, ph is a bit stronger than 7.2, but still shy of the next reading of 7.5. I would call it 7.3, will check things in the AM and post.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I guess I am just nervous because prior to the plaster, the pool was a green algae swamp due to no maintenance. I was worried that the plumbing lines and light fixtures may still have algae lurking. This morning I used the drop test and the C was 1 and the CC was 0. No sun hit the pool between tests. Since the floater with 2 puck are in, should have it lost nearly 1 ppm in 8 hours? I was hoping for less of a C loss, maybe this is par?

PH has risen to 7.5. Let it go a bit higher prior to adding any MA?

Thanks Brian, I will hold off on the CYA as it lowers PH as I understand? The ph is currently at 7.5, how far should I let it drift up prior to adding MA?
Right with ph of 7.5 the index is at .55, ph at 7.6 predicts .65 and ph at 7.7 predicts .75.

So if I want the range of +0.3 to +0.7, looks like a PH od 7.3(csi of +0.35) to 7.6(csi of +0.65) is the range I want to stay in.... Am I correct in this thinking and adding acid when ph reaches 7.7, or should I let it go higher? Sorry for all the questions.

One more question I meant to ask earlier, should I add a sequester for insurance against any iron or other metals? All iron test showed 0, but should I add "just in case"? I am going to pool store to get a new skimmer net, just wondering if I should pick any sequestering agent up.

You actually need the CYA if you are going to maintain the FC where you are. The pH drop isn't extreme and you could actually use it.

Maintain a CSI of +0.3- +0.5. Be cautious about going much higher than that. Looks like 7.5 pH is about as high as you can go until your TA get a little more reasonable.

Since you are on well water, you should add a sequestrant...cheap insurance.

Thanks Brian, I did add a sequester a few hours ago. I will go ahead and add the CYA. Can I put it in a skimmer or should I use socks? We are starting to get rain now, I never really thought about that, what does that do to pool chemistry? Looks like we're going to get quite a storm here.....

Thanks pooldv. I added 3.75 lbs, split up in two socks, one in each skimmer. That only calculates to 30 ppm, but since I am guessing at my pool size, I thought I would start low. I am pretty sure it is close to 15K, and also based on chlorine additions it seems close. Once I add MA, I will have a better idea. What concerns me is the C keeps dropping even with a floater in the pool? All the way to 0 if I do not add bleach. Does it take some time for the pucks to register? I use the drop test to confirm, so far the CC has stayed at 0. Here are the last tests after adding 16 oz of 8.25% Clorox:

PH 7.5
C -1
CC - 0
TA - 350
CH - 300 (checked this twice)
CYA - 0 (did this just to practice)

Still have not added any MA.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.