Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: few questions on pucks

1. Back To Top    #1

few questions on pucks

Hello to All,

My CYA is 40, and I want to bring to maybe about 50. Instead of Cyanic crystals, I was going to add a couple of pucks and was seeking folks recommendations on where to get them in the Hou/Katy area w the best value. If I recall, 2ppm CYA acid per puck. Don't need a lot of them, maybe 10-15. Can also use them when we travel for week+. I am using all HEB 8% liq CL and don't plan on going to pucks other than to raise CYA when needed and traveling.

Thank you very much, tstex

Other metrics are:

FC 5-6
    TA 70 [this was 40 and added 8lbs of NaHCO3 to get 70
    CYA 40
    pH 7.5
    CH 437.5 [17 to 18 div by 2 x 25 drops]
    InGround 15K gal, 18'x30' 3.5' to 5.5' depth w/ 9'x9' spillover Spa, Pebblesheen w/ Travertine, Hayward 3 HP VSP, Hayward C4030 Cartridge, Hayward 1.5 HP for 2 Scupper columns, ProLogic, PL-PS-8 Panel, Hayward 400K BTU Heater, 3 ColorLogic LED, Spa Blower, TF-100 w S-Stick, QC Tiger Shark, Autofill

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: few questions on pucks

Here they are cheapest at Wal-Mart. I thought I read here that one puck adds 9ppm? I use them in the spring to add CYA also. (about 1/3 of my pool is fresh filled after winter).
    HTH is brand
    15x54 swim & play vinyl metal wall AG
    Hayward S210T sand filter 1.5 HP Pentair Superflo vs
    Rheem raypak 130,000 BTU mv ng
    Jacuzzi 345 whirlpool bath
    TF-100 test kit, HM digital com100 Wanda the Whale

3. Back To Top    #3

I have no recommendations for where to find them. But I would advise you to use pool math at the bottom with the effects of adding chemicals section to see how much each 8-ounce Trichlor tablet will add to your pool.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Also remember the pucks are very acidic and will effect your pH
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

5. Back To Top    #5

Ok folks, you have me re-thinking my strategy...I sure what to see how my pH and if it holds fairly stable w my new readings after adding NaHCO3...Maybe the crystals are in order anyway...I'll punch in the numbers on the pool math chart and do some "what ifs"...Thank you, tstex
    InGround 15K gal, 18'x30' 3.5' to 5.5' depth w/ 9'x9' spillover Spa, Pebblesheen w/ Travertine, Hayward 3 HP VSP, Hayward C4030 Cartridge, Hayward 1.5 HP for 2 Scupper columns, ProLogic, PL-PS-8 Panel, Hayward 400K BTU Heater, 3 ColorLogic LED, Spa Blower, TF-100 w S-Stick, QC Tiger Shark, Autofill