Another Var. Speed vs. Dual Speed Pump Question

Found out my Aqualogic PS-4 is the 2.22 version. Bummer. One option is to replace it with the GLX-PCB-MAIN board, which sells for about $300 on ebay. But I believe the 2.22 version will allow for a dual speed set up.

My only concern with the Hayward VS pumos is the bad rap they have. 30% of 231 buyers on Amazon of the Eco Star gave it one star, and a boatload of those reviews are just recently. Evidently, known to have the drive go out after a short period.

Sure would like to integrate a Inteliflo into my panel...but with the cost of an upgrade on the board ($300) plus another $350 for the Intellicom adaptor, starting to get pricey. Dual speed looks like it might be the way to go.

My WFE-8 is pretty long in the tooth, so may opt for a new dual speed. Tho I still am wondering if I can get away with a 1.5 hp dual speed (rooftop solar, etc ler concerns raised in prior post).

Continued thanks.

I have a Pentair VS and IntelliComm controlled by a 25+ year old Jandi Ji8000 and it works great. I've got HI/LO pump control and the option for a third cleaner speed, but found I really didn't need it. The IntelliComm is $180 at Amazon (I got mine on Ebay for less) and was an easy addition to my system. Very happy with the results.

I live in SoCal and my highest tier rate was 31 cents /kWh from SCE. When I applied for the pump rebate at SCE, I discovered a new Time Of Use rate was available and I now pay 12 cents /kWh off-peak for most of my filtering and cleaning. With the new pump and reduced hours (thanks TFP!) plus changing to LED lighting throughout the house, I've cut my power consumption 25%. Switching to TOU and shifting to off-peak usage for filtering/cleaning, laundry, dishwasher I've cut my power cost nearly 50%. Last month my net average cost was 16 cents /kWh.

My WFE-8 is pretty long in the tooth, so may opt for a new dual speed. Tho I still am wondering if I can get away with a 1.5 hp dual speed (rooftop solar, etc ler concerns raised in prior post).
Solar isn't an issue. I ran mine (two story roof) with a 1/2 HP pump.

However, I did notice that you have a spa. Does the pump run the spa jets too? If so, you may not want to downsize or the jets will become weaker.

Also, pump wet ends can last for decades. As long as the housing is not cracked, I wouldn't give it a second thought.

The real problem with comparing the two speed with the VS, is assuming that the two speed will meet the needs of a specific task at the lower speed. In my case I'm using at least four different speeds and if I had a two speed, I might have to use the high speed for many tasks that I can do much cheaper with a VS pump. Just filtration takes a very low speed, but add the SWG and it needs to be a bit higher, pumping the water up through the solar system needs even more rpm, and cleaning the pool with the infloor is an even higher speed. The spa has its own needs. Now, figure out the speeds needed when you combine some of the various tasks and you begin to see why in all but the simplest pool set ups the VS makes sense.

The real problem with comparing the two speed with the VS, is assuming that the two speed will meet the needs of a specific task at the lower speed.
If you are only talking about energy savings then I would agree but just for "meeting the needs" (i.e. operating properly) a 2 HP two speed should easily handle an in-floor system on high speed, a standard vacuum on high OR low speed, an SWG on low speed (my 1/2 HP handles that just fine on low speed) and also solar on high speed and if setup properly, on low speed too (which I have done with my pump as well). Single speed and two speed pumps where handling these functions just fine long before VS pumps came to market.

The only thing a VS really has over a two speed, is that it can be optimized for the lowest energy use possible. And if that is the most important thing to the OP, then by all means go for that. But if upfront costs are an issue, the two speed is still a viable alternative.

Try Sunplay.com. they have great prices, a real store and I have been buying from them for years. Give them a call and get the real scoop on the Hayward pump. I'm sure they can help with the Intellicomm and connecting it to your system as well. Their Intellicomm is 157 bucks

Pentair IntelliCom 2 Interface Protocol Adapter 521109 | Pentair 521109
Pentair SuperFlo VS Pump 342001 | Pentair 342001
Pentair IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump 011018 | Pentair 011018

This is great stuff. Information of this nature is worth its weight in gold (I know, poor analogy) as it is both a time and money saving contribution. Many thanks.

The real problem with comparing the two speed with the VS, is assuming that the two speed will meet the needs of a specific task at the lower speed. .

If you are only talking about energy savings then I would agree . . .
The only thing a VS really has over a two speed, is that it can be optimized for the lowest energy use possible. And if that is the most important thing to the OP, then by all means go for that. But if upfront costs are an issue, the two speed is still a viable alternative.

While I recognize the cost of a dual speed set up makes a lot of sense, I do agree and am therefore opting to go with the higher cost (ie, less attractive ROI) VS set up. I am able to afford it and will make sure to maximize the VS's energy savings potential via proper/lowest optimal speed settings and the like.

I live in SoCal and my highest tier rate was 31 cents /kWh from SCE. When I applied for the pump rebate at SCE, I discovered a new Time Of Use rate was available and I now pay 12 cents /kWh off-peak for most of my filtering and cleaning. With the new pump and reduced hours (thanks TFP!) plus changing to LED lighting throughout the house, I've cut my power consumption 25%. Switching to TOU and shifting to off-peak usage for filtering/cleaning, laundry, dishwasher I've cut my power cost nearly 50%. Last month my net average cost was 16 cents /kWh.

Yes, this is something I will adhere to to maximize the ROI on a VS setup (vs an admittedly better ROI one could obtain with a dual speed pump)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have a Pentair VS and IntelliComm controlled by a 25+ year old Jandi Ji8000 and it works great. I've got HI/LO pump control and the option for a third cleaner speed, but found I really didn't need it. The IntelliComm is $180 at Amazon (I got mine on Ebay for less) and was an easy addition to my system. Very happy with the results.

Found a pool pro that will also be able to hook up the Intelliflo 2 VST to my 10 year Aqualogic PS-4 panel, even though my software is the older 2.22 version (thought for sure I would need at least ver 2.65). He's a reliable referral and evidently, had some desig input on Hayward automation systems several years back.

With the Intellicom adaptor, I'll be able to run all 4 configurations that I know enjoy from my panel (and my two remotes - in house and spa side). Nice to get the 3 year warranty with the pro installation. Including installation, parts, programming, it will run me $1700. But That will be reduced by the $200 utility company rebate plus Intelliflo has a $100 visa card offer (expires this July). So the net cost of $1400 out of pocket fell within my budget.

I understand a dual speed would give me a more attractive ROI, but I think I'll be okay in the long run with this investment.

That is good news! Yes, on the surge protector. If you have an empty breaker slot you can get one that fits in a breaker slot. Or wire one in and mount it on the panel.

Don't believe those calculators. They are way too optimistic and force you to a minimum of 1 turn per day which is overkill for larger pools. Also, they don't allow you to compare the pump to a two speed.

How is this accomplished for an exterior pool setup? Is the surge protector hard wired in at the pool panel? I'm guessing it mounts to the inside or exterior of the panel and connects to the bus bar. Definitely want to protect my investment.
Yes, it mounts in or to the breaker box and not too hard to wire.

For surge protection, I actually have two. A larger top of the line Eaton Ultra that protects my main service panel and my household electronics, and a smaller Square D unit that is on my pool sub panel. Cost less than $150 for both and installed them in one afternoon. I figured for $25 for the Square D unit, why not have seperate additional protection just for my pool equipment panel. Very cheap insurance.

Eaton Whole House Surge Protector-CHSPT2ULTRA-1 - The Home Depot

Amazon.com: Square D by Schneider Electric SDSA1175 Panel Mounted Single Phase Type 1 Surge Protective Device: Home Improvement

Last edited:
Just remember you get what you pay for. You want at least 10kA Nominal and 80kA maximum protection. The Eaton provides that but square D falls short of that.

But just to be clear, I'm using both the Eaton Ultra and the Square D. The Eaton unit is at the main service panel, the Square D is just on the pump circuit. Kind of a belt and suspenders approach. And since the total cost for both was less than $150 its a bargain compared to some of the other units.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.