Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Lbs. of Chlorine?

1. Back To Top    #1

Lbs. of Chlorine?

My SWG Manual says that it will produce 2lbs. of Pure Chlorine in a 24 hour period.
    How many gallons of 10% Chlorine is that?

Thanks
    35,000 Gal. - 40x20x8 - Plaster - SWG Pentair IC 60 - Barracuda G3 Vacuum - Hayward c1750 Cartridge Filter - Blue Torrent VS 1.5hp pump - Pool is 45 years old.

"I'd build a deck over my pool if I didn't have a SWG"

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Lbs. of Chlorine?

Trade % = grams per liter available chlorine divided by 10

So 10% Trade = 100 g/L available chlorine

100 g/L * 3.785 L/gallon * 2.2 lb/1000 g = 0.8327 pounds per gallon of 10% bleach

2 lbs per day = 2.4 gallons of 10% bleach
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3

Just so you know... down at the bottom of http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html , where it says Effects of Adding Chemicals, 32 oz of Chlorine gas (which is what you're generating) will raise FC in your 30,0000 gallon pool by 8. Coincidently, when you go up and see how much 10% it will take to raise FC by 8, it says 2.4 gallons, exactly what Joel calculated!
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Remember that 2 pounds (8ppm of FC) is assuming you are running the output at 100% 24 hours a day. If you are only running the pump 8 hours at 100%, then you are down to 8/3 = 2.7ppm of FC. And if you have it set at 50% output, then you are down to 1.35ppm of FC added per day.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

I don't have an SWG but they shouldn't run it at 100% to save on cell life correct?
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by borjis View Post
    I don't have an SWG but they shouldn't run it at 100% to save on cell life correct?
    It really does not matter. I think what matters is the amount of time it is generating.

Running at 100% for 4 hours a day or running at 25% for 16 hours a day will produce the same amount of FC and should be similar wear and tear.

Some may argue that turning on and off more times could cause more wear ... I have no idea if that is true in this case though.

Of course, since running the pump costs money and nearly everyone generally should only need to circulate the water for a few hours, from a $$$ perspective, running at 100% for the shortest amount of time might be best. Although there could be other reasons to not do this, like running heaters, cleaners, etc.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks!
    35,000 Gal. - 40x20x8 - Plaster - SWG Pentair IC 60 - Barracuda G3 Vacuum - Hayward c1750 Cartridge Filter - Blue Torrent VS 1.5hp pump - Pool is 45 years old.

"I'd build a deck over my pool if I didn't have a SWG"