Plumbing design

They are very similar, except for a few feet in size. I did have an issue putting the deep end skimmer in the corner where I thought the wind would blow debris completely away. That the only reason I moved it. Sorry. I hope you understand my rationale.
My thinking that if the wind was moving debris too fast for the deeper skimmer to pull it in, then it would keep going to another area in a corner generally where most surface debris should end up ultimately. And in that corner there is a skimmer and a return to focus debris to the mouth of the shallow end skimmer.

Thanks for responding quickly!

-Mickey

Sorry to revive, but I am now only days away from finality on ordering my kit.
Below is a drawing of what I hope the final landscape to look like and is a final pool spec diagram.

I have a few of questions:

1. Earlier in the thread BDavis was so kind to provide a plumbing schematic and some advice on skimmer and return placement. In my diagram My skimmers are on the same side of the pool. One is in the shallow end as my primary return becuase it is down-wind of my most often wind direction. I placed the second along the slope wall, also in the direction of the predominant wind direction.
As you may read, BDavis' advice was to place it on the opposite wall so I wouldn't have two skimmer close together.

Anyone else have advice in this placement? I just want to get it with the best chance to keeep the top skimmed.

2. The larger building at the top of the drawing is a 26' x 14' currently existing structure that I am going to use as my "pool house". My initial thought was to put the equipment pad behind it to keep noise down and be out of the way. I dont have any plans for anything extra in the way of water features, so I now wonder if my best bet would be to build a small 8' x 8' equipment building at the bottom because if I put my skimmer both on that side it would be much much closer for plumbing and I wouldnt have to plumb all the way around the pool house. Is there any benefit to having my plumbing runs to be shorter?
(i placed the small building on the drawing, but it does not yet exist in my yard)

3. I have debated over 42" walls versus 48" wals in the shallow end because generally we are tall in our family. It adds about 2500-3000 gallons to the pool and about $1000 to the cost of the kit. (steel walls and vinyl). Money is not non-existent, but is a consideration for us.
Thoughts from anyone who has debated this on their own pool?

landscape drawing.jpg

Pool spec.jpg

I was thinking that maybe it belongs more in the deep end to the left. Complete opposite corner than the other skimmer.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Brian:

On the plumbing layout you posted for me, you recommend 2.5" lines for my skimmer and main drains. Do I need skimmers that accomodate 2.5" lines normally or is it acceptable to reduce the 2.5" lines down to the 1.5" at or near the skimmer?

I ask becuase on my parts sheet provided in my pool kit, they have Hayward SP1085 skimmers which have 1.5" connections. Didnt know if maybe I needed to get different skimmers? I know nothing about one skimmer versus another in terms of how effectively they work how the plumbing affects them.

-Mickey

I don't know of any skimmers that come with ports larger than 2". Increasing the size of the pipe after the skimmer is perfectly fine but with 2 skimmers and a main drain making home runs, you have plenty of water flow and increased pipe size will provide little benefit.

Guys I have ordered my pool kit! Hooray! It should be here in about 10-14 days.

After getting much advice here and reading several posts about plumbing, I have created a plumbing diagram. It lists all pertinent information (I think). I would love some feedback on my design and any modifications that I may need to tweak before install.
My plan is to put a True Union ball valve on each skimmer line where it pegs up near the pad, then Tee those together and put that line and the line from my drain into a Jandy 3-way valve going into the pump.

Also, as is listed on the diagram, I plan to get a 1.5 HP Pentair SuperFlo VS (342001) pump, which is I think is an induction motor. What are your thoughts on using a permanent magnet motor pump and the benefits versus any difference in cost?

Pool Plumbing Detail.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.