Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Insurance & Diving Boards

1. Back To Top    #1

Insurance & Diving Boards

Moderator Note - Moved form this thread: Diving Boards

USAA never asked us if we had a diving board (we don't, but I sure wish we did! lol)
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Diving Boards

Quote Originally Posted by YippeeSkippy View Post
    USAA never asked us if we had a diving board (we don't, but I sure wish we did! lol)
    Funny, USAA sent an inspector out to look at mine.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

When I bought my house, Farmers said I had to take it out, along with all of the other Insurance companies we went to. We have a 40x20 with a 12 foot deep end, and it still didn't matter. I had always had USAA, but I live in Florida and when we moved they wouldn't cover the new house.
    47k, 40x20 IG plaster,SWG, 24 jets, 3HP Pentair Whisperflo 2 speed,Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter36" Tank S360T2 TF-100

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxcmc View Post
    Farmers said I had to take it out, along with all of the other Insurance companies we went to. We have a 40x20 with a 12 foot deep end, and it still didn't matter.
    My HO is Farmers also, strange how they have different rules for different locations.
    DONE, 20 x 40, inground gunite, 30" raised bond beam with 3 12" sheer descents, 8' diving board, pentair 420 cartridge filter, vs-3050 pump, intellechlor ic-40, auto cvr, Tahoe blue pebble tech, 6ea 4' x 12.5' & 2ea 1' x 12.5' helicol solar panels, legend robotic cleaner.

5. Back To Top    #5

Wow, 12' and they all asked you to remove a diving board? I thank my lucky stars I've been fine so far with my 8.5 diving well. I actually think in some ways, having a diving board with a proper-sized well is safer than NOT. It clearly communicates WHERE to dive from...and visitors who don't get it are asked to kindly ONLY use the diving board. Side diving can be dangerous
    In ground extended Grecian, 22,000 gal, Hayward 220t sand filter, vinyl liner, dolphin m4 supreme.
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!
    Helpful Links:
    GET A TEST KIT Chlorine/CYA Chart How to SLAM About Metals & Stains

6. Back To Top    #6

Re: Insurance & Diving Boards

A few years back when we were looking at building our pool I called USAA also as thats who we have to understand the potential costs...and as I recall from memory a few years old. I was expecting a huge "oh a pool" here is a super high rate or we won't cover such an item. They didn't ask about diving boards and only the value of the pool, in the event it got wiped out from a hurricane or other disaster. The personal liability coverage is what would be used in the event of any personal/human accidents. We doubled that value over what we had for a very low cost and off we went to build. We could also get an umbrella coverage for events that would exceed the liability for a reasonable cost.
    18x30 Freeform In-ground Vinyl Lined. 11,500 gallons.
    4 returns, 2 skimmers, 2 main drains.
    Hayward TriStar 1hp 2-Speed Pump. Hayward S244T Filter.Hayward Goldline Panel + SWG.
    Polaris 280 cleaner. AquaComfort 75k BTU Heatpump
    TF-100

7. Back To Top    #7

For us, the first thing we were asked was does it have a diving board or a slide? We had both..... and found only one government underwritten plan (NC Beach Plan) that would cover us. We have since removed both.
    Last edited by ewkearns; 02-25-2016 at 12:38 PM. Reason: Poor Grammer/Spastic Typing

8. Back To Top    #8

Insurance can be crazy, we have a pond in the yard and a couple of years ago all of a sudden the insurance company required us to post no fishing signs around it.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

9. Back To Top    #9

One of our neighbors bought a trampoline for their kids. Their insurance agent happened to drive by, saw the trampoline, and immediately cancelled their homeowners policy.....

More and more folks are using Google Earth (and similar) to peer over your fence to see what you are doing. Our mortgage broker (250 miles distant) described, in detail, our neighborhood, having digitally walked through the neighborhood and peered over ours and the neighbor's the fence.

10. Back To Top    #10

According to my agent, State Farm is actually paying people in a call center to check on what all policy holders have hiding in their back yards via google maps.
    28K Gallon old-skool plaster hole in the back yard in desperate need of an acid wash and a fixed skimmer diverter (yes, it's still broken)
    Hayward SuperPumpVS pushing some giant hayward cartridge filter setup
    SharcVacXL and Zodiac G2 to keep things clean

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by ewkearns View Post
    More and more folks are using Google Earth (and similar) to peer over your fence to see what you are doing.
    I called a pressure washing company last year to get the driveway/patios pressure washed. He just pulled up Google Earth and calculated the footage and gave me a quote on the phone without coming to the house....

Another thing folks may not realize is that insurance companies utilize centralized shared databases for both policyholders and houses. They can see previous claims you have made, even with other companies and can see claims made against your house, even by previous owners.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

12. Back To Top    #12

We use Allstate insurance in Texas. Our insurance rate does not go up at all for having a pool and they said they do not care at all (nor do they charge extra) for having a diving board.

13. Back To Top    #13

I am using Homesite through Progressive. They didn't have any issue with the diving board and slide. We're still building though.

14. Back To Top    #14

We have a 6" high dive rock which prevented several insurance companies from giving us a quote. There is no consistency with the insurance companies.
    Free-form concrete walls with vinyl liner, 18,000 gallon capacity, Jandy 1.5HP e-Pump, Jandy DEV48 DE filter (using cellulose media), Jandy AE2500 heat pump, Jandy Aqualink Power Center with 14-blade cell kit and Jandy PDA-P8 wireless control system.

15. Back To Top    #15

I don't understand how they think a fibreglass board is better to crack your noggin on than the concrete decking or the giant diving rocks I've seen.

16x32 kidney-shape; 18K gallons approx.; vinyl; OmniLogic automation; 3HP EcoStar VS pump; Hayward H250 Natgas heater; Hayward sand filter; Hayward brominator; Hayward Navigator; Solar-Breeze NX