110 volt blower needs replacing, can I go with 230 volt?

Respectfully disagree, it might be.

W - unit of measure for power
V - vollts
A - amps

W = E X I

For the same power rating (horsepower) if you double the voltage, amps get cut in half.

Power loss is mechanical and electrical. For electrical it's Amps times connections resistance (disgarding fusing). So 220V has half the connection losses. It's why your utility companies run high voltage for power distribution.

How much do you save? No idea, could only be pennies a year (depends on actual losses). If 120 and 220 motors are priced the same seems you can't go wrong with 220 if your system accommodates either?

I'm new here so hopefully someone with more experience will chime in since there may be more to consider.

Reactions: 4xWTub
How much do you save? No idea, could only be pennies a year (depends on actual losses). If 120 and 220 motors are priced the same seems you can't go wrong with 220 if your system accommodates either?

It is not material.

He should go with whatever voltage he is wired for.

The cost to rewire will eat any savings.

Reactions: Methuselah
I agree that there is a marginal benefit in efficiency using 240 vs 120, due to lower losses due to heat in the conductors. But I also agree that if there are any 'installation costs' to effect a change, then its not likely to pay off.

There are plenty of low quality 'electrical' forums out there, but in my opinion the Mike Holt forum is one of the better ones. And this thread discusses this same issue:

Note the chart that one member posted has some 'caption labeling' issues, which he later acknowledged. But the numbers themselves show you can't save much at all by switching to a higher voltage.

I agree that there is a marginal benefit in efficiency using 240 vs 120, due to lower losses due to heat in the conductors. But I also agree that if there are any 'installation costs' to effect a change, then its not likely to pay off.

There are plenty of low quality 'electrical' forums out there, but in my opinion the Mike Holt forum is one of the better ones. And this thread discusses this same issue:

Note the chart that one member posted has some 'caption labeling' issues, which he later acknowledged. But the numbers themselves show you can't save much at all by switching to a higher voltage.
I think there is also interaction, because the current draw is through the entire circuit including mains, associated voltage drop leaves less for other load branches.

Again though, may be talking pennies a year for a circulation pump. For a main pump considerations would carry more weight.

It's interesting knowing this stuff, but if they are not both plug in and done, I must agree the above advice is golden 🙂

Last edited:
It's why your utility companies run high voltage for power distribution.
This part is correct, but they do so because of the high voltage drop associated with miles of wire. In a spa, there will be no real difference.
For me, it comes down to amp draw on each leg. Lower voltage means higher amp draw for the same wattage (hp), so a 120v blower might pull 8 amps on one leg, while the 240v will pull 4 amps on both legs. Put in all 120v components and you need a bigger breaker and wire.

You really can't look at amp draw per leg.

You have to look at amp draw through the whole circuit, which includes both legs.

For a 115 volt only motor, both legs (hot and neutral) and the windings see 8 amps.

If the windings are heavier, that will reduce power losses due to the higher amperage.

For a 230 volt only motor, both legs and the windings see 4 amps.

For a 115/230 volt selectable motor, there are two sets of windings which are in parallel for 115 volts and in series for 230 volts.

For a selectable motor, both sets of windings see the same 115 volts and 4 amps.

Outside of the windings, the wires see either 115 volts and 8 amps or 230 volts and 4 amps.

For a 115 volt circuit, you need larger wire due to the higher amperage, which costs more but it also reduces the voltage drop and the power loss.

Whenever there is a choice between 115 and 230 volt motors, I would choose a 230 volt motor all else being equal.

For 230 volts, you can use smaller wire (depending on the sizing requirements), you get lower losses and you balance the current on both hot legs of the panel which is always preferable.

1667931962830.png

Last edited:
Spa Pack has connections for either, is 230 more efficient?
Assuming that the spa pack will take either one, I would go with 230 volts.

Are you 100% sure that the system will accept a 230 volt blower without any modifications?

Is the spa pack wired for 230 volts?

Can you show the spa power supply breaker?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Assuming that the spa pack will take either one, I would go with 230 volts.

Are you 100% sure that the system will accept a 230 volt blower without any modifications?

Is the spa pack wired for 230 volts?

Can you show the spa power supply breaker?
The tub is wired through a 50 Amp 240v GFI breaker, the Arctic Spa pack has connections for either 110 or 220v blower.
I can get either voltage for a replacement, Arctic Spa changed from 110v blowers to 220v years ago, I upgraded my 2004 pack to their latest version a few months ago to accommodate a chlorine generator (Spa Boy), and Wifi control.
No additional wiring needed to accept the higher voltage blower, just need to connect to the proper blades on the board.

Reactions: RDspaguy and JamesW
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.