Dog's pool has begun!

Isaac, Thanks for the reply regarding heat. I am stubbing for both options, because I am not sure yet and wanted to get the pool going. We do have a flat roof (see scupper issue for drainage), so I don't think surface area is a problem being that we are one story, but I haven't seen panels rolled out on a flat roof and will the water affect it since drainage is a bit slower than a pitched roof? and what about moisture condensation between the material and when I have to re seal the roof which is recommended every 5 years or so and what about the radiant heat cracking the roof foam? Oh, No. So much easier on tile. ugh... This is something I just though of. My husband says I am pool obsessed, but really the more I find out the more complicated it is! Kudos to those who start on this forum way before their pool build. wendy p What is the best way to find the folks with flat roofs and solar panels on here to ask?

Yeah, we wouldn't put a sand box in for our kids either because of neighbor's cats. Yuck!

I even saw one set-up that was a giant pool table and you kicked the 'cue' ball. Pretty neat ideas out there. I may or may not have a Pinterest problem. [emoji5]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a sporadic Pinterest problem, but I have found so many great ideas on it. When rehabbing a cabin from the 1980's pink kitchen tile and big flowered wallpaper (even the doors were glued giant green and pink fabric: outlets too), there was so much to find that helped me from river rock back-splash, to black bear handles, and fake field stone for the fireplaces. It was a real transformation. If I can just figure out the yard and irrigation that will go around the pool... speaking of which I need to contact the PB for that outlet I asked for by the controls on the left back wall, so I can install plug in lights. The solar ones just don't last. If anyone knows a great reasonable kind. I am all ears.
My current yard is a dust bowl and probably full of valley fever mold spores, but soon I am hoping for a transformation.

Helen203, I hear you. When I was about 3, I asked my mom to go to the bank and get a pile of money for a pool not understanding that you have to deposit money in the bank first. At 8 or 9, I drew elaborate diagrams and pictures designing pools in our yard and my grandparents house just down the street. I remember my huge disappointment when no adult was interested. The worst was when I gathered the neighborhood kids and my 3 brothers to dig a backyard hole about 10x8x3 ft deep in one day. This was in Metairie, La near New Orleans where the water table is high and the dirt is very soft and black. It filled with water by itself and everyone was having a grand time in the mud hole until my father came home. It was not good. He even had to bring in more dirt because as you know a hole never fills the same after dirt is taken out. In my 1st home, I built a large ornamental pond with water lily and lotus. 2nd house, spa with deck surround. The 3rd, I wasn't in long enough, but the 4th was the fiberglass in PA, then no pool for 6 years, but I had plans on it. Thank God we didn't do it because during the market downturn lost 120K already. Next home in Phoenix had a small pool and now I get to build one finally with some choice on design.:splash:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Tile was installed. Went with the basic at the tile line and 18 inch back wall. Had the upgrade along the lagoon, bench and steps since it was only 6 sq ft. With install and upgrade to add a solid double line it was under $300.

20160307_170154_zpsnndzahsk.jpg

20160303_171349_zpsxcfuymyp.jpg

20160311_101903_zpswwv1jnu0.jpg

20160311_101917_zpswzawtm8y.jpg

20160328_172213_zpslspmogw7.jpg

IMG_20160311_1634431_rewind_zpsnie2dk6b.jpg

Last edited:
So much has happened this month. The concrete decking was also installed as you see in the pictures above with the tile. We decided against bringing it to the porch because the price was going to be another 5K, so instead we will install real grass around with some pavers so that we can help control rain water and dust/dirt from dogs
and kids. It is the plain salted green as they call it. Below is the white plaster being installed. We were really worried it was way too bright!
20160330_084924_zpsoe78uvro.jpg

20160330_084934_zpsb5sx85mx.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

pool filling... milky from plaster dust
20160331_084904_zpseztthqbq.jpg

20160331_094959_zpsuogyorvd.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

With water features and deck jets on. Water still a bit milky from plaster dust...
20160404_170822%201_zpstahcpe0y.jpg

20160404_170825_zpsgqp3tqsw.jpg

20160404_171149_zpsi0elftrr.jpg

20160401_121416%201_zpsdremzgij.jpg

20160328_163329_zpsmf5ns9ef.jpg

equipment cubby.
20160404_171212_zps58yfu32r.jpg

20160404_181539_zpsz2gqigth.jpg

20160404_191610_zps4ys2g6vm.jpg

Some things I would do differently...
I would install a light under each sheer descent. Also, we have the multi light, but it is not in a good spot to capture light coverage in the bench area on the deep end or the lagoon. We would rather it have been in the center of the back wall... even pointing at the house. So more lighting is needed... An extra would have been installing a light at each of the 3 steps on each side of the pool as it tiers up the 18 inches. I am going to install a light on the house to illuminate the lagoon.
I am glad we put the waterfalls, bubblers and jets on a switch instead of timer.
We are happy with the plain bright white plaster, but we were scared! as it went in. It was sooo white and blinding.
We decided against the slide and are stubbed for solar and regular heater for future.
I am struggling with dirt right now since the landscaping is not finished and gathering quotes for grass and pavers. I will update pictures as we do this. finishing the yard around is so important! OMG Dogs and kids, dust and dirt.lol

Thank you everyone! Not included in the price quote was the salt system that we purchased on our own, but the builder will put the salt in the pool after 30 days when the plaster cures. Also, the stubs for solar and heater. An extra outlet at the back of the pool and the accent tile on the steps, bench and lagoon.. oh, and a 3/4 stub for sprinklers to go along back since the trench was already there. Overall, I am very happy and the builders were great!! If anyone is interested, I will let you know who I used. A family operation for over 30 years. What I also liked is they didn't try to sell me something I didn't want and gave good advise along the way. He did warn me about the deck jets with the salt and eating away at the concrete over time, but an acid stain and sealer will help. Also, in thirty days, he will bring us a tile sealer for $40 that needs to be applied within 10 days or it will turn to gel in the can that will help with the calcium and salt build up along the water line. The extra concrete was a shocker price tag, but we just stayed with the quote instead and I am happy with that since it will be a better solution regarding dust and drainage using natural grass. We had it at our old house between the porch and rock garden (no pool), but it certainly helped. Tonight, I am ordering my kit since after the first 30 days I am on my own with chemicalization:) The builders don't maintain pools this far out in our area, but he has referrals that do. I want to do it on my own. This site and advise has been so helpful from members. So what do you think of the tile? Is it butt ugly? I actually love it. I will take a pic in the morning light when it is all sparkly. It reflects into the kitchen on the upper walls and ceiling like prisms. The water feature sound is amazing and drowns out any hwy noise we previously heard just as we had hoped. I should have added more jets!... Just love them. It gives a resort feeling.

You did it! You have a REAL pool and it is SO pretty!!!

I LOVE the tile! When I read you "only upgraded the steps and benches" I was wondering if you got it backward as the water tile and back wall look SO good! I LOVE them (oh wait I already said that LOL).

FUN times!

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.