Pool Design Help - Treasure Coast, FL

Yep, another vote for Hawaiian! I also love that tile choice. I really like your selections!

Curious...Is there a reason the dig won't happen until May?

Thanks twinkies. My wife's tile choice is a hit.

Busy builder at a busy time a year. They do most things in house and schedule one new start a week. We actually signed the contract about a month ago and have been finding more things to spend money on while we wait. A popular PB that doesn't overextend themselves is a good thing though.

:-( of course it would be an upgrade..............I have a knack for spending other people's money......sorry-------NOT LOL :geek:

Kim

I've spent enough time here to know to get most of the selections finalized before asking for feedback or it's going to cost, ha. Honestly though I appreciate that you assist everyone on just about everything while still providing good advice. You truly are a big help.

Thanks twinkies. My wife's tile choice is a hit.

Busy builder at a busy time a year. They do most things in house and schedule one new start a week. We actually signed the contract about a month ago and have been finding more things to spend money on while we wait. A popular PB that doesn't overextend themselves is a good thing though.

That makes sense, and definitely is not a bad thing. It's good you have patience! He seems to also be a smart pool builder. The more time you have waiting the more upgrades selections you'll likely make! Lol!

The wait is a killer and a budget buster for sure with every day being another where we see something we want. We're so jealous of these start next day, same week builds. I think we made the right choice and it will be worth it though.

Last edited:
As Kim suggested I think I'll formally declare this our build thread (not sure if I can update the thread title though). I needed to take these for our HOA approval package so here are the before pictures:

IMG_2974_zpsv3y2d7kr.jpg

IMG_2993_zpseejtvqsq.jpg

IMG_2976_zpsapdng8bj.jpg

IMG_2975_zpsfkfkkdb7.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
After discussing the pool finish with the PB apparently Hawaiian or any other darker quartz finish is out. They only recommend the lighter/white finishes. A very adamant no go on the darker finishes stating they would never use them on their own pool based on fading/mottling/splotchiness. The word gross was used as well which is not what we envisioned for a pool look.

So only the light in the Florida Stucco Gem (quartz) finishes at included price:
Gallery | Gem Finishes | Gallery of Gem Pool Finishes

Or any of the PebbleTec colors at a $6,200 upgrade price:
Pebble Tec Pebble Tec

We haven't looked at any PebbleTec finishes. For those with it do would you consider that a worthy upgrade? Should we view some? Will we be wowed?

Regarding the price it's possible for us but would take us out of budget, effect/delay landscaping, patio furniture, etc and would take us beyond what we consider equitable pool value to house value (for our house and the neighborhood in general; more of a top-end build instead of avg for the community).

What do the smart folks say?

Just for tickles and giggles...here's a picture of how gross a pool can look with mottling. We love it! Mind you it's not 100% quartz, but plaster colored with quartz (DB to be exact). Some view the mottled effect as beautiful. The reason they call it gross and won't do it is called CYA, and not our kind of CYA. I get that, we just happen to like the look. Many PB's will require a sign-off for such CYA items.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/Fyzq15]Pool finish at night by Snowman 10, on
Flickr[/URL]

Thanks bmoreswim. I've spent so much time here learning about the new definition of cya that I almost forget what the old one was.

From what I've read that pic under the lights is when the mottling would be at it's most visible right? To me that doesn't look bad at all. It's a random natural look which is why we chose travertine as our decking, why not have that in a pool finish as well. What would bother me is a few larger or concentrated patches instead of a more even distribution though. I'll need to read through some of the discussions on this again.

And yes, that did state they would want us to sign a release.

Black, brown, grey and green are non organic pigments that are much less prone to fading from chlorine. Blue is probably the worst offender and often bleaches out completely.

I did however see a grey pool recently that completely bleached out in all but a few areas. Calcium was added to the mix and is likely partially responsible for the consequences.

For full disclosure, there are areas that don't look as organic as that shot shows. A few places have a bit of a troweled effect, but I don't have any pictures of them. All in all, ours is pretty natural looking, but not 100% and certainly not always the case. I've seen them having streaks which I don't think is particularly attractive. I think the coloration shows equally day or night. The slight surface undulations show only at night. Frankly, there is almost always some breeze here, or our pump is running on low during the day, so it isn't often you see through still water to the bottom. Just another confirmation of why every pool is different and has it's own unique personality.

So is he saying you should/can only get the ones with the white plaster? I want to make sure before I look too close or long.

Indigo try again. It is not showing and I think I KNOW what you are trying to show so it will be worth your time/effort please.

Kim

Ugh I tried to post something and it didn't happen... Well, I had the same exact experience as you when I built my first pool (12 years ago) and the PB talked me out with the same arguments but this time I was determined! Even knowing all that could go wrong I was still sure I wanted a dark plaster pool! I don't call myself Indigo Blue for nothing, LOL to my luck and surprise my deep dark pool finish is completely even and perfect everywhere! I credit the plaster company who did the job, go on my thread and take a close look, and I don't have anything fancy, it's just Diamond Brite midnight blue x onyx mix... Now... I see you live in Palm city, if you zoom in on the picture where they are applying the finish you could see their phone number on the guys t-shirt ;) just saying...

Btw, have you visited some finished pools with some different finishes? That will help you decide, that and Houzz hahaha

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.