Las Vegas O/B New Pool

yeah that thing is awesome? what are some pros and cons of having a large reef area like that? it doesnt seem like it would cost anymore or less on the build. I mean it is possible that we could make our reef setup larger since we have tons of room.

questions.... input is appreciated!
real rock or plaster/gunite rock - is it better for a water feature to use the gunite rocks because of the chemicals that it will be in contact with? I ask this because were planning on a real rock water feature, as it is shown on the plan. In the same token, should we just use plaster and gunite for our build on all our accent rocks around the pool? is it cheaper to go with real rocks or gunite/plaster rocks?

pros and cons of a bigger wet deck in our design? thinking of maybe 15x15 or 12x15. dont mind cleaning it out either.

good idea, we had spray painted the area in the backyard...just wanting some personal experience.

here's another idea

I had a pool built here ten years ago with a rock waterslide it was done with rebar and gunite and looked great. Real rock is sold by the ton. Then you have delivery fees and a crane fee for placement of the boulders. I believe the man-made route is far More cost effective. I'm using real boulders in my pool plan that were part of my existing landscape and I'm going to have to get someone in here to place them!

@Wasteland - Love Love Love the wet deck size. As I mentioned to you when you were here looking at my pool I wish I'd double the width of mine. Heavily used and people often jockey for a seat on the wet deck.

I think you're good on slope just remember, you're going to have people jumping off those rocks regardless of how many times you them not to, really wish I'd gone 8' vs. 7.

Looks good, glad things are coming together for you!

If you are going to have such a large area I'd have a step first and then a large Baja shelf so you can sit in the water and be chest high. With the overall pool size I'd rather have more usable swimming space.

If it was my pool I'd pull a couple more feet off the large wet deck and go with the max 5'6" depth.

If you are going to have such a large area I'd have a step first and then a large Baja shelf so you can sit in the water and be chest high. With the overall pool size I'd rather have more usable swimming space.

If it was my pool I'd pull a couple more feet off the large wet deck and go with the max 5'6" depth.

the wet deck is only going to be 6". we've already extended the pool. the total length of the swim area is already about 34'

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'd be tempted to make the pool somewhat symmetrical on the diagonal. Meaning extend the wet deck on the opposite corner from the spa in the same pattern. Then also mirror the long external bench opposite side and to the right. And finally I'd remove the upper half of the long steps and have the pool drop from 6" to 40" or whatever. That would give you a nice variety of sitting/leg dangling options on the edge of the bench.

There have been some really cool looking pools here with the corner to corner symmetrical geometry.

Just a few random thoughts.

yeah that thing is awesome? what are some pros and cons of having a large reef area like that? it doesnt seem like it would cost anymore or less on the build. I mean it is possible that we could make our reef setup larger since we have tons of room.

Larger reef steps increase the surface area of the pool disproportionately to the gallonage had it been more of a typical built pool. What this means is that evaporation and refill will cause your calcium hardness levels to rise a little quicker than a more conventional depth pool. Of course nearly all of this can be offset by using a pool cover and it really isn't that big of an issue to begin with. I've never heard anyone say their reef step was too big.

questions.... input is appreciated!
real rock or plaster/gunite rock - is it better for a water feature to use the gunite rocks because of the chemicals that it will be in contact with? I ask this because were planning on a real rock water feature, as it is shown on the plan. In the same token, should we just use plaster and gunite for our build on all our accent rocks around the pool? is it cheaper to go with real rocks or gunite/plaster rocks?

pros and cons of a bigger wet deck in our design? thinking of maybe 15x15 or 12x15. dont mind cleaning it out either.

From a basic cost standpoint, artificial rocks would be cheaper in the long run. Most people are rather surprised when they learn how expensive real rocks are purchase, then add on delivery and fees for the machinery to set them. You are also somewhat limited to the rocks you can use based on the weight. If a crane is needed, this becomes even more of an issue since the crane's capacity is greatly reduced as the distance from the center of gravity increases. Natural rocks can also do strange things to a pool's pH and may be subject to deterioration from exposure to chemicals. I don't think you can beat the look of a natural rock pool though.

Artificial rocks have come a long way in quality. They are not cheap by any means because you are paying for an artist more than just labor. If you go this route, I'd make sure you go with gunite boulders as opposed to chicken wire and diamond lathe formed rocks that get coated in a stucco type base-coat. Proper water chemistry is paramount with any pool but is especially so with fake rocks. Cleaning calcium build up the usual way (murriatic acid diluted 4:1) would eat the color and finish of the rocks requiring them to be restained/painted.

Being that a pool is more of a luxury than an investment, I'd make sure you choose what will give you the look you desire as opposed to basing the decision solely off cost. There is nothing worse than disappointment and regret.

the wet deck is only going to be 6". we've already extended the pool. the total length of the swim area is already about 34'

I like 6". Ours is sloped from 4" to 12" over 24'.

I only see one skimmer, I'd ask about another one.

Unless you really want a second skimmer, I don't see it adding any tangible benefit to your pool.

Nope, no differences that are specific to the names. Baja shelves, tanning ledges and the list goes on. All the same thing.

We have a wading pool with a small wall about an inch under the water. It slopes 8" to 12" over 7'. It also has two main drains and a water return. The small kids love this area and it makes it safer for kids that aren't great swimmers. Our main pool is similar to your size and it starts at 3.5' and slopes to 6'. The depth works for our slide and is good for cannon balls but not deep enough for diving. We have two skimmers one on each side but the one skimmer usually catches everything for some reason. There are two returns on the main pool setup to create a circular water pattern to get everything to the skimmers eventually. Good luck with the pool it looks great.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.