Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Raise CYA

1. Back To Top    #1

Raise CYA

What is the best way to raise CYA? I've got stabilizer in a sock but how long should I leave it in there? I don't think I have any CYA.
    Pool size = 16,000 gal, IG Fiberglass, 2 speed hayward pump with cartridge filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Raise CYA

Quote Originally Posted by Texgal View Post
    What is the best way to raise CYA? I've got stabilizer in a sock but how long should I leave it in there? I don't think I have any CYA.

You "don't think"? Have you tested for it?

We base our pool care system on accurate testing and only adding what the pool needs, when it needs it. To do that you need your own accurate test kit. Order a TF100.

How much Pool School have you read? Start with these:
    ABCs of Water Chemistry
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

What makes you think there is no CYA? How are you testing?

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Depending on the brand, the stabilizer should all be dissolved anywhere between a day and a week. You can either set the sock in the skimmer basket (as long as it doesn't starve the pump and you leave the pump on the whole time) or suspend it in front of a return. Either way works. The key is to get a lot of water forced through it.

How did you test for CYA?

If you or the pool service or the previous owners chlorinated with pucks, you have some CYA in the water. If it's just been filled, you won't have any, because CYA doesn't exist in nature and shouldn't be in any municipal water systems.

A couple possibilities for the CYA sock.

16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

I did a cya addition in a day.

I put the sock in the skimmer basket, pump running and let it sit for 4 hours.

After that time the cya was very squishy, i kept squeezing it in every direction
    while submerged in the skimmer and it was totally dissolved within 10 minutes.

I did have sore forearms the next day!
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

6. Back To Top    #6

LOL borjis I walked around my pool and put mine in! My hand and forearms where very sore BUT TFP said to put xx amount so it was going in!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Hello Texgal! Looks like we have similar type pools and equipment. When you get a chance, please update your TX location (city). As you can expect, there's a big temperature difference between DFW and San Antonio. You'd be surprised how much that helps as we review your posts. As for the CYA - happy soaking! Have a nice weekend.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

8. Back To Top    #8

Texas Splash,

How right you are about the temp!. I'm in Boerne, outside of San Antonio

- - - Updated - - -
    Last edited by Texgal; 02-06-2016 at 09:51 AM. Reason: I don't know what I'm doing!
    Pool size = 16,000 gal, IG Fiberglass, 2 speed hayward pump with cartridge filter

9. Back To Top    #9

Thank you for the pictures, that was very helpful. Mine is in the skimmer (I had nothing to tie too) but I'm worried about it. I will use your suggestions!

QUOTE=Richard320;964619]Depending on the brand, the stabilizer should all be dissolved anywhere between a day and a week. You can either set the sock in the skimmer basket (as long as it doesn't starve the pump and you leave the pump on the whole time) or suspend it in front of a return. Either way works. The key is to get a lot of water forced through it.

How did you test for CYA?

If you or the pool service or the previous owners chlorinated with pucks, you have some CYA in the water. If it's just been filled, you won't have any, because CYA doesn't exist in nature and shouldn't be in any municipal water systems.

A couple possibilities for the CYA sock.

[/QUOTE]

- - - Updated - - -

I filled the little tube up to the top and could still see the dot a bit. We have had a lot of rain (thus a lot of draining) this year. Initially I was thrilled with it as I had the opposite problem with really high CYA. In any case, I'm happy to be "adding" rather than draining.

- - - Updated - - -

tim5055,

Yes, I have read the ABC's and have the test kit. I'm totally fine with the kit, EXCEPT the CYA test, which I don't like because numbers is more to my liking. Guess I don't trust myself on seeing the blasted dot.

Quote Originally Posted by tim5055 View Post
    You "don't think"? Have you tested for it?

We base our pool care system on accurate testing and only adding what the pool needs, when it needs it. To do that you need your own accurate test kit. Order a TF100.

How much Pool School have you read? Start with these:
    ABCs of Water Chemistry

10. Back To Top    #10

In my experience, it may take up to a week for CYA to show up on the test. Then too, if you squished the sock into the skimmer, most of your CYA is probably in the filter, so don't backwash or you'll lose what is in there. Addition of solid CYA tends to be a character builder......

11. Back To Top    #11

Oh yeah, we're just about neighbors really. I'm just on the other side of town. Chilly today. Cooler water temps mean easier pool maintenance - for now. Good that you are testing on your own as opposed to relying on the local pool store. Make sure to ask any questions you have as the season approaches. Stay warm!
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!