Switching to Salt Water

You can probably measure the CYA now. That particular test is not terribly affect by high FC. The pH test is not as accurate above 10ppm and should never be performed above 20ppm. The indicator dyes for TA and CH can be affected by high chlorine by mostly not showing the right color transition so it's best to wait on those too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006

Ok when I test the chlorine for one more over night test I'll do the CYA too. I know I'm being anal about the overnight test but I don't want to end up back where I was...lol

Ok when I test the chlorine for one more over night test I'll do the CYA too. I know I'm being anal about the overnight test but I don't want to end up back where I was...lol

If it makes you feel better, go for it. As far as I'm concerned, you passed OCLT, your CCs are 0 and your water is clear. You're done in my book.

CYA tests are best done in bright, outdoor lighting. Dusk or early dawn lighting will be too dim and add to testing error. So make sure you do the test with lots of bright outdoor light and the sun to your back as you hold the view tube waist height in the shadow of your body.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006

If it makes you feel better, go for it. As far as I'm concerned, you passed OCLT, your CCs are 0 and your water is clear. You're done in my book.

CYA tests are best done in bright, outdoor lighting. Dusk or early dawn lighting will be too dim and add to testing error. So make sure you do the test with lots of bright outdoor light and the sun to your back as you hold the view tube waist height in the shadow of your body.

Ok I'll wait until tomorrow to do the CYA test Yeah I'm sure I'm fine but I just want to double check...lol Thank you again.

Ok so I got home and my chlorine is down to 18ppm with 0cc and I tested CYA it is at well less than 30. I filled the tube all the way up and could still see the dot pretty good. it was barley cloudy. So I take it I need to add a stabilizer. What stabilizer should I get?

Granular cyanuric acid. It's the cheapest way to add stabilizer. Assume you have 30ppm and calculate how much you will need to get to 70ppm. Then add 80% of that amount using the sock method and retest. You should wait at least 24 hours after it has fully dissolved before testing. Some folks wait upwards of a week after adding before testing CYA again.

You can get more instant results using liquid conditioner but it's generally way more expensive and less concentrated that granular.

Granular cyanuric acid. It's the cheapest way to add stabilizer. Assume you have 30ppm and calculate how much you will need to get to 70ppm. Then add 80% of that amount using the sock method and retest. You should wait at least 24 hours after it has fully dissolved before testing. Some folks wait upwards of a week after adding before testing CYA again.

You can get more instant results using liquid conditioner but it's generally way more expensive and less concentrated that granular.

Thank you! Pool is still looking good. But these trees around here are going to be the death of me..lol Everyday there is leaves everywhere in the pool. GRRRR But anyways, chlorine is down to 13 so thats good. I haven't been running my SWG but when I get down low enough what setting do you think would be the best to start off with?

Pool is at 10.5ppm FC so hopefully tomorrow I can do a full test to see where my numbers are. By the way the pool looks amazing!!! I don't think it has ever been this clear. Thank you all again.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I haven't been running my SWG but when I get down low enough what setting do you think would be the best to start off with?

My experience has been to start with a high setting - e.g. 80%. When FC rose above my target, I turned it down gradually until FC stayed steady in the range I wanted. Ours is now at 50%. Long sunny days and heavy bather load make FC drop a bit, while cloudy non-swimming days let FC rise a bit. Over time I got a feel for it. If I get down to minimum FC for my range, I add liquid chlorine right away. I think unless the SWG was way over-sized, starting high won't cause problems other than slightly faster pH rise until it's dialled in.

My experience has been to start with a high setting - e.g. 80%. When FC rose above my target, I turned it down gradually until FC stayed steady in the range I wanted. Ours is now at 50%. Long sunny days and heavy bather load make FC drop a bit, while cloudy non-swimming days let FC rise a bit. Over time I got a feel for it. If I get down to minimum FC for my range, I add liquid chlorine right away. I think unless the SWG was way over-sized, starting high won't cause problems other than slightly faster pH rise until it's dialled in.

Thanks. Ok as of today here are my readings. They aren't as bad as I thought they would be.
FC- 8.5
CC- 0
PH- 7.5
TA- 80
CH- 130
CYA- Less than 30

Get your CYA to at least 30ppm. If you have lots of hot bright sun, 40-50ppm is a better level.

Get your CYA to at least 30ppm. If you have lots of hot bright sun, 40-50ppm is a better level.

I'm fixing to head to store to get some stabilizer. Will let you know how it works out..lol Also I started a new thread for the steps because the magic erasers didn't work..

Just wanted to comment that this thread convinced me to finally put in a SWG in my pool. Bought the Hayward PL-Plus 40,000 Gallon from Amazon, wired and plumbed it over a weekend, added salt, and it it generating. I went with the automation since I had two timers, one for my pump and one for my booster, and I never liked that. Was using bleach for a while before that and it is a pain.

Just wanted to comment that this thread convinced me to finally put in a SWG in my pool. Bought the Hayward PL-Plus 40,000 Gallon from Amazon, wired and plumbed it over a weekend, added salt, and it it generating. I went with the automation since I had two timers, one for my pump and one for my booster, and I never liked that. Was using bleach for a while before that and it is a pain.

I love my SWG generator. It is the second best thing Ive had done as a pool owner. The first best thing is joining this site. It has been an amazing site and my pool has never looked better.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.