can muriatic acid and baking soda be added to pool at the same time?

While that is very a very compelling argument for the use of borates, it is no excuse to maintain lower chlorine levels. I'd consider it extra insurance IF the chlorine levels ever do accidentally fall below the minimum threshold.

At 50ppm B concentration, one should probably consider borates to be a growth inhibitor rather than an algaecide. From most of the data it is shown that it takes far higher concentrations of boron to be significantly biocidal (~ >100ppm).

When I borated my pool water, I noticed an almost instant (24 hours later) increase in FC level with the same SWG %. I was then able to turn down my SWG by approximately 15% absolute output (60% to 45%) to maintain a proper FC. I surmised that the borates helped inhibit the algae growth rates and likely gave the SWG a little more "breathing room" to operate.

That said, borating your water is by no means a replacement for proper water chlorination and I rely on borates more for their pH control than any other aspect of their chemistry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.