Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Recently Completed Suburban Pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Recently Completed Suburban Pool

Hi All,

I'm a new member of this great site which I have found some very friendly and helpful members.

I thought I would show some photos of our little back yard pool build which might inspire some to do the same.
    It took 10 years of nagging from my wife to do this and I must say I wish we had done it sooner!

We have a 30 Meter back yard fence line which was crying out for a lap pool. However after discussing the pros and cons with our builder, we thought it was best not to fence off the whole back yard and have some free space for the kids to run around in. It also allowed us to keep the trampoline too. Then, there was the cost, a lap pool of even 15M was just too expensive for us if we wanted nice gardens, decking, paving and fencing...

Our design basically evolved into a 5x8M in ground pool to complement the back yard and house shape.

Here are some photos of the journey...
    Marking out and digging....

58,000L Pebblecrete, PureSilk SWG 25G, Hayward 24" Sand Filter, Hayward TriStar VS Pump, Astral RolaChem RC1 acid feeder, Maytronics Dolphin M4 Cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Recently Completed Suburban Pool

Is the steering wheel on the left side of the bucket loader?? I thought your sig said you had an Astral KoalaChem feeder!!!!
    I crack myself up!!!

Seriously, it looks good layout!
    Welcome aboard.

O/B Woodland Hills, CA : O/B12x30 inground with 6x6 10-jet spa, 10,500gal, 6' Baja deck, 42" spillway, All Jandy: 400k heater, 2.7 HP VS pump, 1.5HP booster spa pump, SWG, Intellelink controls, (4) LED lights, cartridge filter and BlueSquareQ360 infloor cleaning system, Eclipse drain, glass tiles, Zanzibar white pebble finish. Broke ground 2/18/2016, completed 8/16/2016. TFT 100 kit.

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks Frank. How much egg nog have you had!? hehe. I think the layout of the pool is the first big decision to make for any new pool.

It certainly gave me a few head aches....

Some more photos:

Steel rebar installation.

58,000L Pebblecrete, PureSilk SWG 25G, Hayward 24" Sand Filter, Hayward TriStar VS Pump, Astral RolaChem RC1 acid feeder, Maytronics Dolphin M4 Cleaner

4. Back To Top    #4

Finishing off day two of the rebar. Tomorrow fitting the plumbing and shotgun cement...

5. Back To Top    #5

Plumbing and Shotgun:

All up the shotgun concrete took about 3.5 hours to do. I managed to get a pretty good time lapse of the complete process too. BTW the guy holding the cement gun was over 7 ft tall!

Last edited by squibcakes; 01-04-2016 at 12:34 AM. Reason: added time lapsed video of shotgunning

6. Back To Top    #6

Wait..........where are the rest of the pictures?????? LOL I was all settled in to see your build and now it is not done LOL

Thanks for sharing! It is neat to see how others do things.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Hi Kim,

Sorry, more pictures to come. This isn't too many is it? I just thought it would be cool to see step by step.....

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by squibcakes View Post
    Hi Kim,

Sorry, more pictures to come. This isn't too many is it? I just thought it would be cool to see step by step.....

Not too many at all! The more the better! We love it. Looks great so far!
    Denise-TFP Guide
    IG 13.6x30 gunite, Radiant Fusion Topaz, 3.6/5.6/4, 14100 gal, 2 skimmer, 4 Hayward LED lights (pool & spa), Hayward Echostar VSP, 2 future fire bowls, raised beam wall w/ scuppers,7x7 raised spa, DE Progrid70, SWG Hayward Goldline, OmniLogic, Hayward 400K BTU heater, stamped colored deck, Dolphin Discovery robotic cleaner, TF100 test kit, Newbie in Bixby Oklahoma

9. Back To Top    #9

How did you get those aerial shots?????

10. Back To Top    #10

Great glad you do! The aerial shots were taken with my drone. I highly recommend it if you are planning on build a pool.... Back to the build...

So the "Shell" is now completed. Next we had to sort out the drainage in the backyard. There were a few of field gullies that were replaced by the pool and some underground storm water pipes were dug up too.

Once the new plumbing was in, prep work for the pool surrounds (concrete slab for granite tiles) could be started. At the same time, we had the termite guys come out and fit a barrier to our house.

The next day, the lads "topped off" the pool shell for the coping tiles and also prepped for the pool tiles.

Even at this stage we were still undecided what mosaic tiles to go for... ceramic, glass, blue, black.... I think I did at least 4 trips to local tile shops trying to decide.....

11. Back To Top    #11

More concrete pouring...

Slab for the pool surround tiles goes in as well as the slab for pool pump...

The fast pace of the pool build was exhilarating! And then...

12. Back To Top    #12

The RAIN CAME

It was at this point I got a little stressed. In hind-site it was good that the heavens opened to reveal that one of the excavated field gullies had not been accounted for when the new drainage went it.

After some finger pointing and dirty looks on both sides, our guys put in new pipe to drain the water away....

13. Back To Top    #13

Love it! The design, the construction details, the rain which alert you to a problem before everything was buttoned up. Can't wait to see what finishes you picked
    My Pool Build (2015): inground 12K gals gunite/plaster pool, SWG, 2-speed pump, cartridge filter, gas heater, and polaris cleaner (Jandy). TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speed Stir

14. Back To Top    #14

Loving it! MORE!

LOL at the finger pointing and dirty looks! I bet there was some adult words said as well! Glad it all worked out!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

15. Back To Top    #15

TFP Guide

Love the build details!
    Denise-TFP Guide
    IG 13.6x30 gunite, Radiant Fusion Topaz, 3.6/5.6/4, 14100 gal, 2 skimmer, 4 Hayward LED lights (pool & spa), Hayward Echostar VSP, 2 future fire bowls, raised beam wall w/ scuppers,7x7 raised spa, DE Progrid70, SWG Hayward Goldline, OmniLogic, Hayward 400K BTU heater, stamped colored deck, Dolphin Discovery robotic cleaner, TF100 test kit, Newbie in Bixby Oklahoma

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by Helen203 View Post
    Love it! The design, the construction details, the rain which alert you to a problem before everything was buttoned up. Can't wait to see what finishes you picked
    Thanks. Yes the rain was a blessing to reveal drainage problem. As much as it was a pain, everybody was professional and we got a good outcome.

17. Back To Top    #17

Next...

I guess one of the other major decisions was the choice of pool surround. Originally quoted was sandstone or travertine tile. However while hunting down ceramic tiles for the pool edge we knew that we had to have Granite tiles. Again that caused some headaches, should we go white, grey or dark granite.

Our builder realized our dilemma and introduced us to a another granite tile called "Fantasy" which we instantly settled on (for extra price... of course) And then we wanted the rebate edge too. Add a few more $$.. Lol.

When these tiles get wet they reveal a cosmic swirl and random pattern that is truly amazing!

Pool Coping Tiles

Then the rest...

18. Back To Top    #18

So cool! Love the granite!
    Marla
    No longer living vicariously through other people's pool builds. Pool build is complete on my IG SWCG pool, approx 10,000 gallons. All Jandy equipment - VS 1.5 hp pump, 580 cartridge filter, AquaPure 1400 salt cell, AquaLink PDA system. Dolphin m500. PebbleSheen Blue Surf with shells and beads added. TF-100 w/ SpeedStir. A Houston Pool Build Inside the Loop

19. Back To Top    #19

More pics please!!!
    COMPLETED BUILD THREAD - 15'x29' rectangular offset shotcrete pool; 14,100 gal; 5'x7' raised spa with 400k btu fire feature; 7' spillover; 25' leuder stone raised bond wall w/waterfall; Pentair SWG; Pentair VS (pool); Pentair 3/4hp feature pump; 1hp spa blower; Pentair Cartridge filter; Pentair “Easy Touch 8” wireless; Dolphin Oasis Z5 robot; Solar Hydronics iSwim solar panels; Mansard Screen Enclosure; walnut travertine deck; 1 very happy kiddo.

20. Back To Top    #20

More rain.... More Mud.. But the additional drainage now installed and as you can see the water problem has eased....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast