Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: owner build - suspended pool infinity edge

1. Back To Top    #1

owner build - suspended pool infinity edge

Hi folks, just sharing some pics
    of what is probably not too run of the mill...

Pool slab is suspended off a hill side 35ft above grade
    20 x 13, 3'6"-4'10" with 70 s.f. Baja shelf
    Infinity edge is 18ft, the trough is 2' x 3'.

The pool slab has just been poured. In the upstand you can see a waterstop to receive the vertical pour.

Any tips welcome

Openpool

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: owner build - suspended pool infinity edge

Wow! Looks really interesting! Can you post before pics? If you use program like photobucket you can post pics directly by copying the IMG and pasting. How are you chlorinating your pool? Salt or bleach/chlorine? What kind of plaster? Where are you located? We love pics so keep us updated!
    Marla
    No longer living vicariously through other people's pool builds. Pool build is complete on my IG SWCG pool, approx 10,000 gallons. All Jandy equipment - VS 1.5 hp pump, 580 cartridge filter, AquaPure 1400 salt cell, AquaLink PDA system. Dolphin m500. PebbleSheen Blue Surf with shells and beads added. TF-100 w/ SpeedStir. A Houston Pool Build Inside the Loop

3. Back To Top    #3

Hi maria, thanks for the tip on the photobucket - will check it out. I've added some before photos for you in the mean time

For this I'll be using variable intelliflos, ic40 (volume is less than 12000 gallons), 24" sand filter and another intelliph to inject acid....I've had good experiences with that setup in the past.

This build is in the s. caribbean...TT.

4. Back To Top    #4

Wow! I bet that took some sophisticated engineering! Like Marla said, we love pictures... Keep 'me coming!
    28,000 gallon freeform, Stonescapes Tropics Blue Minipebble with abalone, 3.5' to 8.5' depth. 2 skimmers, 5 returns, dedicated vacuum port, Dolphin Z5 robot. All Pentair equip: EasyTouch 8, IC60 SWG, VS pump, 520 Cartridge Filter, 3 Intellibrites, 2 Color Cascade Bubblers. TurboTwister Slide and 8' Salt System Jump Board. TF-100. My Jan-Mar 2016 build:
    Waxahachie, TX Owner Build - A race to beat the baby!!

5. Back To Top    #5

Openpool, such a tough life to have to live in TT (although I've never been, I've heard it's fabulous and besides it's the south Caribbean!).
    Marla
    No longer living vicariously through other people's pool builds. Pool build is complete on my IG SWCG pool, approx 10,000 gallons. All Jandy equipment - VS 1.5 hp pump, 580 cartridge filter, AquaPure 1400 salt cell, AquaLink PDA system. Dolphin m500. PebbleSheen Blue Surf with shells and beads added. TF-100 w/ SpeedStir. A Houston Pool Build Inside the Loop

6. Back To Top    #6

Well I don't have any tips. This one is beyond my pay grade! Im ready to watch it progress though.

I dont think we have any other members from Trinidad either.

So, keep us posted!
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

7. Back To Top    #7

WOW! Talk about where there is a will, there is a way! This is going to be fun to watch!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit, Become a TFP supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

Like Divin Dave said, this one's gonna be real "interesting"....
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

9. Back To Top    #9

Looks real interesting Openpool. Someone had a great vision which is coming to reality - very exciting. I'm sure this called for detailed engineering for the cantilever and water weight.
    Love that you used thin air to create additional square feet!!!

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
    Geometric pool with all Pentair equipment. Raised spa - 18" with Artic Lagoon 1" glass tiles. 3HP VS Pump, 2 skimmers, 6 returns, IC40 Salt system, Easy Touch 8 with LED color light in pool and spa. 1200 sqft of Marble White Pavers decking in Versailles pattern. Tiling and coping almost completed, Indigo Blue Prism Matrix plaster. Pool Build Thread: Houston (Katy) Pool Build - Started April 2016

10. Back To Top    #10

Yes a hillside construction such as this took a lot of planning. And I've enjoyed seeing the professionals do their thing. Essentially, after the topographical study was done, a rough determination as to how many levels we could get was made. Surely it ends up being more than you need ("Really? A home theater beneath the pool?!"). A soil study enabled knowing importantly the bearing capacity of the soil, among other things. Using a safety factor against the live and dead loads (pool water alone is more than 30 tonnes despite my best efforts to really keep this as reasonably small as possible) then the structural provisions could be made.

Let's hope the math is correct!

Ground up time lapse for first two months nhe month 1 2 - YouTube

11. Back To Top    #11

Yeah a home theater under the pool AND a projector for IN the pool viewing!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit, Become a TFP supporter!

12. Back To Top    #12

I subscribed to this thread. Please post lots of pictures so we can follow your build.
    In ground, 14,000 gallon, white plaster, unheated, stone waterfall, DE Filter, Rainbow 320 Cl, Polaris 3900, FloVis flow meter, F100 test kit, Circupool RJ30+ SWG, Circupool VJ1/Speck Badu EcoM3V variable speed pump.

13. Back To Top    #13

I wish you the very best!!! Scared the bagubbies outta me, though. I can't imagine hanging out on that edge!!!

14. Back To Top    #14

I have agonized about that from time to time. My nightmare is to be on an air mattress and end up in the trough (hopefully).

15. Back To Top    #15

I'm trying to keep the updates pool-centric but since the pool is integrated so tightly with the building I thought I'd still update with these...

The slab surrounding the pool is 2700sf. Here you can see more formwork going up over the last couple days so that steel can be laid on it. It is at this level what would normally be a bond beam on an inground pool is being integrated with the building shell -- a 24 x 16 beam. The beam actually runs all the way into the hillside into soil anchors that are then backfilled. Supposedly this is to minimise any downhill movement of the structure. the entire slab, beams and vertical pool walls will be poured monolithically.

As for the bonding, solid copper is not available here so stranded copper is sanctioned. Split bolts were used to attach to the rebar and at the corners, pigtails were left to tie onto the rebar in the slab. For 5/8" rebar and 2 copper pieces, the 350MCM size worked well.

No ladder, railing (wanted to keep it minimal looking) or metal niche is being used on the pool . So for the bonding of the water itself, I decided on placing a skimmer, although normally I find this redundant on an edge pool. I'd seen some youtube talk about the requirement being that the bond be made with water always in contact and the pipe insert with the lug had me wondering. So I went for the skimmer mounted bond kit instead . Maybe someone can suggest additional means of ensuring that water doesn't leak through the rubber o ring and the drilled hole....or am I just paranoid?

Can you tell we're big on safety down here?!

I've also started putting 'pen to paper' as to the trough details trying to finalise it all -- sight lines, volumes, etc... I've enjoyed reading may posts on TFP about sizing and so on. Some great resources on this site.

16. Back To Top    #16

What's that? Not the crypt, I hope!

17. Back To Top    #17

Wow I can dream. Awesome
    15x54 swim & play vinyl metal wall AG
    Hayward S210T sand filter 1.5 HP Pentair Superflo vs
    Rheem raypak 130,000 BTU mv ng
    Jacuzzi 345 whirlpool bath
    TF-100 test kit, HM digital com100 Wanda the Whale

18. Back To Top    #18

sorry had to edit the previous post...figured out the picasa inline images bit.

19. Back To Top    #19

Oh good. I can breath easier now... Not. Your house looks fantastic!

20. Back To Top    #20

Where are you located, the view is awesome.

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast