New Austin, TX Owner Build

Financially nerdy is good! It's also helpful to see the breakdown for other potential owner builders. Thanks!

Who is doing your layout? I thought the excavators did that, but I guess I need to look into it more.

I actually lucked out where I have an awesome, meticulous guy doing my layout, excavation, steel, and plumbing. I think it behooves the excavator to do the layout since they'll be the ones following the lines, but I don't think that's their typical role. The guy on howibuiltmyownpool.com paid a guy $75 to do his.

Ironically, the guy who's doing most of my work also did my initial design for the permit application (before I learned poolstudio), and I traded him the design for me fixing his computer (reimaged the OS). Good ol bartering. Maybe I'll design a website for him for digging the hole. :)

I'd go hands-down with the deck surface continuing along next to the retaining wall. You will want to be walking around your pool and not having to step from stone to stone (or on the little stones in bare feet). Plus I think it provides for a cleaner look. The other side already looks like it will have grass/landscaping up to the coping. If it's grass, that won't be easy to keep out of the pool.

If you go with a hard surface between the pool and wall, just make sure you allow or proper drainage of rain water.

I am a software engineer too. I think the ph sense has issues with the sensor. What I was thinking of doing was adding a stenner pump and set it on a timer. Unfortunately there is no perfect automation.

Thanks for the tip. You opened my eyes to looking at alternative options. Solaxx ph-tek looks interesting as it seems to have decent reviews and senses the pH level (as opposed to automatic timer). It looks like you can find it for $500.

Thanks for the tip. You opened my eyes to looking at alternative options. Solaxx ph-tek looks interesting as it seems to have decent reviews and senses the pH level (as opposed to automatic timer). It looks like you can find it for $500.

Thanks for that! I'll have to check it out. I really want something instead of manually adding but for now I figure I'll do manual for a season just so I know really well what my pool likes/dislikes. That way if something fails I have a better chance of diagnosing.

Just got my permit approved! So excited.

Of course, now they're closed for the week so can't get my layout inspection (yes, Austin is crazy and requires a layout inspection), and then maybe rain. Looks like we'll start next week though.

Now I just have to do layout, take down the zip line, buy pool equipment (just googling now, if someone knows of the best place to buy pool equipment, please let me know), go pay for permit on Monday, schedule layout inspection. Looks like the waiting will continue.

Of course, now they're closed for the week so can't get my layout inspection (yes, Austin is crazy and requires a layout inspection), and then maybe rain. Looks like we'll start next week though.

Now I just have to do layout, take down the zip line, buy pool equipment (just googling now, if someone knows of the best place to buy pool equipment, please let me know), go pay for permit on Monday, schedule layout inspection. Looks like the waiting will continue.

Weird I don't remember them doing a layout inspection on our pool. Hmmm.... I wonder if that is a new thing or if they did it and I didn't realize.

Welcome! Looks like you are already receiving great advice for the resident experts. They really know their stuff!
+1 on what bmoreswim said about walking around your pool, although I do love the look of the big rocks in a small river between your pool and the wall-it was very pretty.

Welcome! Looks like you are already receiving great advice for the resident experts. They really know their stuff!
+1 on what bmoreswim said about walking around your pool, although I do love the look of the big rocks in a small river between your pool and the wall-it was very pretty.

:) Thanks. Yeah. Everybody's been so helpful here talking through all of these decisions.

I liked the aesthetic too, but didn't even consider that practical note (which is crazy because usually I'm overly practical). Now the question will be is it enough drainage to do sloped patio with a channel drain. I'll ask the inspector when he comes out what he thinks after looking at the yard.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Looks like you are off to a great start. My .02 on the filter. I have a cartridge and love it for my needs. I wash it mid summer and upon closing for the winter. I have 4 individual cartridges so it takes me about 45 min in total. Not fun but not a big deal. That being said if you have a place to discharge backwash I'd also consider sand. I worked for a pool company doing field work (service/repairs) and if run properly all types of filters do a fine job. My only complaint about sand is when it's time to change it out, it is a pain in the neck to get rid of the old sand (at least in my area). If you have a place on your property where you could throw it down or burry it then it's no big deal.

As for the lights, my electrician placed the lights on the same timer as the pump but there is a switch inside the timer box that I use to turn the lights on or off. When the timer shuts off the pump the lights go off as well. I don't recall your list off the top of my head but for LED you'll likely need 2 to adequately light the pool (though other with your brand would know for sure). I was going to skip the lights to save $$ and am very glad I didn't. They really make the yard come alive at night.

For the heater I went with gas and I'm glad I did. I like that it heats up so quickly and the cost of the unit is less. My gas line was only 10 feet away from where I was placing the equipment so that helped with the plumbing cost. The pump may be better for your area though and of course get what you like. I have natural gas at home so it's a lot cheaper than propane. My max gas bill over the summer was $94 so I was pleased. In the winter it's $500 and I feared it would be close to that to heat the pool.

You might want to think about placing a small bench area in the deep end (I'm assuming the area near the wall is deep). It's great to be able to sit and you get so much more use of the deep end with it.

Do you plan on using the wall for jumping off of? Like a dive area w/o the board?

Looks like you are off to a great start. My .02 on the filter. I have a cartridge and love it for my needs. I wash it mid summer and upon closing for the winter. I have 4 individual cartridges so it takes me about 45 min in total. Not fun but not a big deal. That being said if you have a place to discharge backwash I'd also consider sand. I worked for a pool company doing field work (service/repairs) and if run properly all types of filters do a fine job. My only complaint about sand is when it's time to change it out, it is a pain in the neck to get rid of the old sand (at least in my area). If you have a place on your property where you could throw it down or burry it then it's no big deal.

As for the lights, my electrician placed the lights on the same timer as the pump but there is a switch inside the timer box that I use to turn the lights on or off. When the timer shuts off the pump the lights go off as well. I don't recall your list off the top of my head but for LED you'll likely need 2 to adequately light the pool (though other with your brand would know for sure). I was going to skip the lights to save $$ and am very glad I didn't. They really make the yard come alive at night.

For the heater I went with gas and I'm glad I did. I like that it heats up so quickly and the cost of the unit is less. My gas line was only 10 feet away from where I was placing the equipment so that helped with the plumbing cost. The pump may be better for your area though and of course get what you like. I have natural gas at home so it's a lot cheaper than propane. My max gas bill over the summer was $94 so I was pleased. In the winter it's $500 and I feared it would be close to that to heat the pool.

You might want to think about placing a small bench area in the deep end (I'm assuming the area near the wall is deep). It's great to be able to sit and you get so much more use of the deep end with it.

Do you plan on using the wall for jumping off of? Like a dive area w/o the board?

Great feedback!

Filter: After hearing everyone's feedback, I think I'm gonna go with the sand. (btw, we have over half an acre backing up to a greenbelt, so I can find someplace to throw the sand).

Lights: We just had this discussion with the guy doing our layout. He suggested two lights, but acknowledged the high price of the color LED lights. I like the idea of looking in the backyard every night and seeing cool color lighting brightening up my dark backyard (which is why I wanted to set it up on a timer to go on every night). I think there goes $500 more.. :)

Heater: We don't have gas where we live, and propane would be expensive. The thing I like about the heat pump is that you just leave it on all the time and it maintains the water temperature for <$50/month (with a solar blanket). I love the idea of being able to just keep the pool temp solid. The kids certainly don't care, but I'm a baby.

Bench: It's funny that you mention the bench thing. Our layout guy brought this up that we might want to have a sitting area (outside of the beach entry area). We're definitely thinking on this one.

Wall: Yes. We plan on jumping (the kids jumping) off of that 18" wall. Yes; like a dive area w/out the board (though hopefully with not much diving since it's only 6' deep, or at least with "proper" diving that doesn't break the kids' necks). One of our designers did these walls, and we loved the idea. Wall to add some dimension with a sheer to add some sound, jumping for the kids (you could even jump through the sheer). I think I'm going to set up the sheer and bubbler to just always be on with the VS pump. I've heard the only downside is that it can add to the pH rise already intrinsic to a SWG system - perhaps another reason to get the pH automation.

- - - Updated - - -

Update: Did the layout today, picked up the permit, scheduled inspection, scheduled one call (utility flags for digging). At this point, looks like (weather permitting), we'll break ground next Tuesday. It's exciting to see the pool painted - it feels super real.

I would REALLY rethink the "always" on with the pump idea. There might come a time you do NOT want all of the running. The bubblers and sheer can be noisy and if you want quiet............you are going to want a way to have them off. Just something to think about.

Nice to hear they did the layout! How neat it must be to see the paint on the ground. Are there any changes you are going to make after you see the paint?

Kim

I would REALLY rethink the "always" on with the pump idea. There might come a time you do NOT want all of the running. The bubblers and sheer can be noisy and if you want quiet............you are going to want a way to have them off. Just something to think about.

Nice to hear they did the layout! How neat it must be to see the paint on the ground. Are there any changes you are going to make after you see the paint?

Kim

Just for clarification: there is still a valve by the pool equipment to turn it on and off (like in the off season). I just meant it lieu of doing automation for now to just probably have it going all day. Said another way, I don't want to be turning on and off the valve all the time and I don't want to pay for automation, so I'll probably just leave it on most the time.

As far as changes, we had to tweak one thing: as spec'ed out, we only had a foot between the wall and the pool for the patio space. So we decreased that radius a bit so that we have a decent space to walk by on the side. I didn't really notice the difference.

That sounds good! I just wanted to make sure you could turn it off if you wanted or needed to.

That is why I like for people to paint or put a rope or such on the ground to give them an idea of what it will really be like.

Kim

Did you ever find a good place to buy your equipment? From a personal recommendation from another owner builder here, I just bought a bunch of mine from Sunplay.com. They had the best price on most everything, and I only bought my pump somewhere else. The google shopping search tool works well too if you don't mind piecing your order together from different places.

Did you ever find a good place to buy your equipment? From a personal recommendation from another owner builder here, I just bought a bunch of mine from Sunplay.com. They had the best price on most everything, and I only bought my pump somewhere else. The google shopping search tool works well too if you don't mind piecing your order together from different places.

I had started by using Google shopping, but then I realized that the reviews for some of those companies weren't great. For example, Sunplay has a reseller rating of around 3/10 on resellerratings.com.

Then what I did was search resellerratings.com for "Pool" and order by descending number of reviews to see who the bigger players were. Then I went through them and opened tabs for each of the highly rated ones (>8/10). I then went through for each of my pieces of pool equipment and searched each page by the model number (ex: 601011 for an LED light), notating whichever one had the best price.

Here's the list of stuff I plan to buy:
Light niches
Pentair Large PVC Light Niche, Concrete, Polytec Pools

skimmers
Pentair Skimmer Bermuda ABS for Concrete 2'' Slip - White, Polytec Pools

pump
Intelliflo VS
Pentair IntelliFlo VS Variable Speed w/Built-in Timer, Polytec Pools

polaris 360 (no booster required)
$429: Polaris 360 Automatic Swimming Pool Cleaner - Swimming Pool Supplies, Parts, and more - Backyard Pool Superstore

lights
Intellibright 5G 50 foot
$495: intelliBrite Color 5G LED 12v Pool Light with 50 ft Cord - Hydropool.com Item 601011
OR
$502: Pentair IntelliBrite 5g Color LED Pool Light 12v, 50' Cord, Polytec Pools
Intellibright 5G 50 foot
Pentair IntelliBrite 5g Color LED Pool Light 12v, 100' Cord, Polytec Pools
ColorCascade bubbler
ColorCascade Energy Efficient 8 Color LED Bubbler - 100' Cord, Polytec Pools

Filter
Hayward 27" S270T2
--- NEVERMIND. Shipping is $175. Need to find another place to buy this. $350 http://www.tcpoolequipment.com/pool-equipment-store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=9814

Salt
Aquarite 40k (AQR-15)
$890 Hayward Aqua Rite Chlorine Generator with Cell 40,000 Gallons - Hydropool.com Item AQR15

Still looking for a waterfall (also trying to decide between sheer descent and rainfall descent)

To be purchased later if the project is going well:
ph Balancer: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=8748433&CatId=9540
Hayward 140 BTU Heat pump: Hayward Heat Pro Heat Pump 140,000 BTU - HP21404t - INYOPools.com

In place of the Polaris, have you considered the Pool Cleaner? It seems to be the top rated suction side cleaner among those on the forum. I had a Polaris in my previous pool and I did a credible job, but that was with a dedicated booster pump. To provide enough pressure for the cleaner without a booster won't you have to run the VS pump at a higher speed a lot?

I had started by using Google shopping, but then I realized that the reviews for some of those companies weren't great. For example, Sunplay has a reseller rating of around 3/10 on resellerratings.com.

That's interesting. I've never heard of resellerratings.com before. I'll have to look into that. Hopefully I don't have any trouble with my order!

In place of the Polaris, have you considered the Pool Cleaner? It seems to be the top rated suction side cleaner among those on the forum. I had a Polaris in my previous pool and I did a credible job, but that was with a dedicated booster pump. To provide enough pressure for the cleaner without a booster won't you have to run the VS pump at a higher speed a lot?

Great feedback. Yes, I think this item is worth pointing out since I feel like I'm going off the reservation a little bit.

First, the 360 is actually still a pressure-side cleaner, right?

Second, yes; my understanding was that I'd schedule my vs pump to ramp up to higher speed for a certain amount of time to drive the cleaner hard. I had a few thoughts that made me think this was the right call, but I'd love to know any downsides I hadn't thought of:
1) If I already have a pump, it seems like I should use it.
2) Polaris has long been a trusted brand and the 360 seems to have great reviews on Amazon.
3) With respect to not plumbing for a booster pump just in case for the future, it seems like the long term here is that robots will win. That is, it seems like the tech will get better and better, and should I swap something out in 5 years, it would probably be a robot anyway.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks,
Andy

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.