Time to heat up spa

Welp, pool guy #2 just left. He too stated the heater is shot. He gave a better explanation, however. On the H400idl2, the exchanger had a design flaw that caused it to soot up and essentially clog up all the fins on the outside. What he described was exactly what I saw when I pulled the blower to check the squirrel cage. The exchanger was a gummed up mess.

It describes why the water leaving the heater was not warm, why the heat blowing out the vent was SO hot, and why it cycled.

The valves were all set correctly, according to this guy as well.

So, I'm screwed basically. Having just bought the house, I can't afford a new heater this year. Oh well.

**** that was cheap! I did look, and found nothing worthwhile. Closest I saw was a "slightly used" Hayward that looked pretty beat up for $1k.

I ended up ordering a new Hayward H400FDN off Amazon for $2,100 delivered. It was a housewarming gift from my ridiculously overgenerous mother!

Here's the heat exchanger from the old heater. It's a mess! New one being installed as I type. [emoji1]

b765cff1568e36a1748bd10553f88663.jpg

Not sure if anyone is still following this, but there was some confusion as to the position of that spa return valve. That valve controls a water feature for the spa. It wasn't put in when I bought the house, so that's why turning the valve seemed to make no difference. When the tube/nozzle is installed, it shoots water out of a fountain in the middle of the spa. The valve turns it off/on, and adjusts the pressure to that return.

New heater has been installed since last Monday, and it's working great so far! Thanks again for all your help trying to troubleshoot! Hope you all had a great Christmas!!

The heat exchanger on this unit is the same one Hayward used on the ED2 unit that was a much better unit than the IDL2. There is no flaw in the heat exchanger and the picture you posted tell me the unit was getting too hot and there was possibly a obstruction in one of several of the burner tubes also helping to add to the mess.

Now I did not read the entire thread so you might already have looked at the burners ad such.

BTW, keep on eye on the new unit. They have issues! Head on over to the Everything else forum here and you will get a lot more info on gas heaters. In fact, anyone with a gas heater should use that thread for tons of great advice and info.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.