Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How often do you brush your pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

How often do you brush your pool?

How often do you brush your pool and run your vacuum? I brush 2-3 times a week and run the vacuum for a few hours almost daily. Not sure if I should be brushing more though.
    17,000 gallon inground pool; Plaster redone January 2015; Pentair Cartridge Filter; SWG; Age of pool unknown (house built in 1973); Taylor K-2006 Test Kit.; Doheny Discovery robot cleaner.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How often do you brush your pool?

wall brushing is my husband's only pool job. During the summer he does it at least every other day. I run the vacuum as needed if there is stuff for it to pick up or at least once a week.

Every pool is different with different environmental variables that can cause problems. See what your pool like/needs by testing and looking at the water.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

I only vacuum when there is visible gunk.

4. Back To Top    #4

do the bristles on the vacuum count as brushing
    i really need to brush more often
    probably once a month
    SWG inground peanut shaped eco-bright concrete pool
    50,000 litres 13,000 gallons
    Lincoln Salt Chlorinator, 25 gram cell Sand Filter with glass media
    Taylor K2006-C test kit, Taylor K-1766 salt test, Dolphin M500 pool cleaner
    are you taking care of your pool or is the poolshop taking care of you

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

I don't recall the last time I brushed or vacuumed the pool and it's clean still.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

6. Back To Top    #6

I shoot for once a week. I have poor aim.

7. Back To Top    #7

1-2 times, every 1-2weeks - depends how much dust stirs up when i brush
    TX/Dallas | 18K ? gal. | Plaster | Jandy valves, Jandy panel, Aqualink RS4
    Pentair Challenger Fixed 2hp | SWG AquaPure PLC1400*repl 2015 | Pentair Clean & Clear 420
    ThePoolCleaner 2wheels

8. Back To Top    #8

Brushing weekly is pretty common.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

9. Back To Top    #9

And is recommended!

10. Back To Top    #10

Skippy aims to do it about weekly in the summer. He actually likes to get in the pool and do it from inside
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

11. Back To Top    #11

I only toss in the vac if i see visible debris. It is not often since I don't have trees dumping garbage into the pool. However, I don't even own brush. I have had my pool for 1.5 seasons, and have not done it once. Maybe I am a disaster waiting to happen. However, I never saw a need to brush them.
    ~Matt~ Radiant Metric 24'x52" 14k- built into a slope. CircuPool Si-30 SWCG. Jandy 200 SqFt cartridge filter. Pentair Optiflow 2-speed 1HP pump. Wanda the Whale. TF-100 Test Kit. Hard Plumbed.
    My Build w/ lots of pics

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by yostmatt View Post
    I have had my pool for 1.5 seasons, and have not done it once. Maybe I am a disaster waiting to happen. However, I never saw a need to brush them.
    Algae has this ability to coat itself with a protective layer called "biofilm" which protects the algae from the chlorine. When you brush, you're disrupting this biofilm which may be there and yet you haven't detected a problem yet. While the brushing disrupts the biofilm it also helps increase circulation in those areas that are often limited in circulation for whatever reason helps expose those areas to the chlorine.

So an occasional brushing is a *good thing*

Yippee
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

13. Back To Top    #13

Yes, YipSkip! I may be a bit lax on brushing, but I would never let it go more than 10 days or so! Conventional wisdom is once a week for maintenance.

yostmatt, you must have an amazing vacuum or dumb luck. Play the lottery!

14. Back To Top    #14

Does a robotic cleaner count for brushing?

21,000 gallons, Salt, IG Gunite, Plaster Finish, Free From, Pentair FNS DE cartridge filter, Pentair Intelliflo-VS pump, Intellichlor IC-40, 2 port fountains, bubbler in tanning deck, Dolphin M400, TF-100, K-1766, Speed Stir

15. Back To Top    #15

I brushed daily when the plaster was new. Now about once every three months. Love my Polaris!
    Gunite/Plaster pool at 13k gallons. All Jandy with CL340 series cartridge filter, 1.5 HP Jandy Stealth pump. Jandy 1400 SWCG and PDA4 controller. Dual waterfalls. Polaris 280. Pool installed August 2012. Southern Louisiana. And lets not forget my trusty TF100 test kit!

16. Back To Top    #16

In the summer I brush once a week and try to manually vacuum once every 1-2 weeks. In between cleanings I throw the MX8 in to take a whirl around the pool. For some reason I have real bad balance and tend to fall in the pool a lot when I'm putting the vacuum hose and poles away.
    Pool done!! (backyard = work in progress) 32' x 19' inground freeform with 7' spa, baja step w/ (2) bubblers, stonescapes mini pebble finish, rock waterfall feature, 12" raised bond beam, Intelliflo VS, Whisperflo feature pump, (3) 5G Color LED's, FNS + DE 60, 400K Master Temp, Easytouch 8 w/ remote, Intellichlor IC40, Vision Classic Ceramic Kamado smoker, Margaritaville DM1000!!! Party Coming Soon!!
    TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speedstir

17. Back To Top    #17

TFP Guide

I brush whenever I get in the pool (daily in the warm weather), minimum of every other day when not using the pool. I vacuum every 5-7 days, more if there is visable debris in the pool.

Dom
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

18. Back To Top    #18

Polaris 280 runs 3-4 times a week. Manual brushing at opening, closing, and maybe once during the season.
    20k IG vinyl liner/Aqua Rite SWCG, T-15 cell/Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter/Polaris 280 with booster pump/Hayward Superpump 1 hp/city water/pool installed March 2004

19. Back To Top    #19

Once every 2 weeks or so. I have gotten lazy in the past year or so.
    10,000 gallon in ground diamond brite, Circupool si30+, Hayward C900 cartridge, 1.5hp Flotec single speed pump

20. Back To Top    #20

TFP Guide

I brush almost every day. I might miss one but never two in a row. But then, I can brush my whole pool in 15 minutes and do it while standing in the same spot.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Killer95Stang View Post
    In the summer I brush once a week and try to manually vacuum once every 1-2 weeks. In between cleanings I throw the MX8 in to take a whirl around the pool. For some reason I have real bad balance and tend to fall in the pool a lot when I'm putting the vacuum hose and poles away.
    I certainly hope that was meant to be funny, cuz it was. If it wasn't then I'm appropriately, embarrassed.!
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast