Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What to remove from pool for winterizing

1. Back To Top    #1

What to remove from pool for winterizing

Hi all-
    This is my first winterizing and I thought I read somewhere that you remove the hoses/clamps from the skimmer and the return, but that you could leave them both in place for the winter- just make sure the winter cover is covering them both. Now I can't find that instruction and just want to make sure I understood it correctly.

I live in Minnesota in case that matters.

Thanks
    18'x52" Round Might Sun Sierra AGP (bought second-hand March 2015- at 10 years old) 8600 gal; (Crushed limestone covered with 1/2" Foamular bottom and Gorilla pad. Foam walls.) Hayward SwimPro Model SW1750MAR Filter; Hayward 1.5HP EP pump; Perform-Max Model 920 Sanitizer
    Taylor K-2006 Water testing kit. Hayward AquaBug cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What to remove from pool for winterizing

Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3

I actually already printed that off and was using that for the closing of the pool, but I didn't see the answer to my question in the winterizing instructions. I just read through it again to see if I missed it, but I'm not seeing the answer to my question there. Sorry-

I'm specifically wanting to know if I remove the intake and skimmer baskets and leave just open holes or can I leave them attached to my pool and cover with the winter cover.

Thanks
    18'x52" Round Might Sun Sierra AGP (bought second-hand March 2015- at 10 years old) 8600 gal; (Crushed limestone covered with 1/2" Foamular bottom and Gorilla pad. Foam walls.) Hayward SwimPro Model SW1750MAR Filter; Hayward 1.5HP EP pump; Perform-Max Model 920 Sanitizer

4. Back To Top    #4

Depends on your temperatures.....I used to leave ours in when we had the above ground, but it doesn't freeze here.
    Inground 13,200 gal Vinyl, Pentair 3/4 hp pump, Pentair Sand Dollar filter, Polaris 280

Pool School, Pool Math, CYA to FC ratio chart, Testing Kits

5. Back To Top    #5

It does freeze here- Minnesota. I had someone else put both the skimmer and the return on and I'm not sure how to get them off. The skimmer I can figure out, but the return- I'm not sure how to remove it.