Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Switching to SWG

1. Back To Top    #1

Switching to SWG

Hi Guys,

I just picked up a Circupool Rj30 classic for my 10,000 gal pool that should be here in a few days. I want to get my pool chemistry ready before it arrives so I'm ready to install. Anyway, I noticed in the pool math calculator that traditional pool ch range it 200-400 while trouble free is 350-450. Do you guys suggest shooting for the trouble free numbers? How come they are so much higher? How early can I add the salt before installing the SWG? I have a Taylor 2006 test kit, can I buy just the regents to test for salt?

Thanks,

Larry

New Numbers

FC 5.5
    PH 7.6
    TA 70
    CH 290
    CYA 50
    10,000 Gal kidney shaped marcite pool. Filter Hayward C800, Hayward pool pump .75HP

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Switching to SWG

First thing you want to do is get a little more CYA in there, for SWGs 70 is the middle. Pool math will tell you how much to add. You'll want to pick up some MA, just in case your pH starts to rise. TFTestkits.net carries a salt test kit you'll probably want to get on it's way.

Pool math will tell you how much salt to put in to achieve the required level for your SWG.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

3. Back To Top    #3

It took me for ever to get my CYA down from over 100 after I took over pool duties! Oh well, i'm going to start slowly increasing it now.
    10,000 Gal kidney shaped marcite pool. Filter Hayward C800, Hayward pool pump .75HP

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by lwick74 View Post
    It took me for ever to get my CYA down from over 100 after I took over pool duties! Oh well, i'm going to start slowly increasing it now.
    JUst take is slowly, I'd shoot for 60 to start and see where you end up.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

5. Back To Top    #5

You can add salt now. You should wait a minimum of 24hrs after adding salt to turn on the SWG.

Your calcium levels are fine for now. Don't sweat the higher levels. They are designed for plaster pool owners with SWG so that if pH rise becomes an issue they can lower their TA values far enough without having too negative a CSI value.

Now that you have an SWG, you will want to keep a close eye on pH and CSI to ensure that you're staying below 0 for CSI. You should be prepared to do some increased frequency testing in the beginning.

Also, owning a K-1766 is fine for accurate salt levels BUT you MUST satisfy your SWGs internal salinity meter. So if you've added salt and the Taylor test shows it to be perfect but your SWG says its low, you have to add salt to make the SWG happy. Shoot for 100-200ppm lower than the recommended salt level in the manual. Salt will increase naturally over time but, in FL with rains, you might be testing and adding a lot more than I do.

Good luck and ask lots of questions if you need any help.

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

6. Back To Top    #6

If you have a local pool store take a water sample in and have them test it for the salinity level. The pool store should be reasonably accurate for salt and you can go ahead and add enough salt to bring it up to the lower end of the suggested level for your SWG which is 3000 ppm.

You can add the salt today if you get your water tested and know how much more salt to add. Having salt in the pool without a SWG is not a problem and some people do it just for the feel of the water.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

7. Back To Top    #7

Here is a nice reference page for saltwater pools, Pool School - Water Balance for SWGs
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks everyone for all the advice! I brought my water sample down to the pool store and they came up with 2200PPM of salt in my water already. They told me that attributed to using liquid chlorine. Does that sound right? I added a 40lbs bag and a half bag of salt based on those numbers.

Larry

9. Back To Top    #9

Depends on how long you've been adding liquid chlorine for. LC has both excess lye and salt in it. Strictly using LC alone for an entire year (assuming the pool is open all year), one can easily raise their salt levels by 800-1000ppm/year depending on the size of the pool. PoolMath can give you an estimate of how much salt is added for a given dose of chlorine.

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

10. Back To Top    #10

So I installed the circupool RJ30 classic yesterday and ran the pool pump and swg all night. The circupool is displaying low salt but I just tested it and its 3000 ppm? Do I need to just let it run? I set it for 40% for now.

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by lwick74 View Post
    So I installed the circupool RJ30 classic yesterday and ran the pool pump and swg all night. The circupool is displaying low salt but I just tested it and its 3000 ppm? Do I need to just let it run? I set it for 40% for now.
    When did you add the salt? Usually we recommend adding salt and circulating for 24hrs WITHOUT the SWG powered up.

Does the CircuPool give a salinity reading or just a low salt indicator light?

Matt

12. Back To Top    #12

I added the salt on Thursday to bring it up to 3000 ppm. I just had the salt tested this morning by a pool company (I'm waiting for my Taylor salt tester kit). It's displaying low salt and the add salt led

IMG_2657.jpg

13. Back To Top    #13

Well, I just went out and checked it and it says "Salt OK"! I guess I just needed it to run for a few hours.

14. Back To Top    #14

Good to hear.

Adding salt takes a while for it to mix. I know when I added it I had the suction cleaner running to suck up water from the bottom and I spent a good 45mins brushing to try to get good mixing.

I'd let it ride until your K-1766 shows up. That will give you the most accurate results.

What happens when you hit the salinity button, does the unit take a measurement?

Matt

15. Back To Top    #15

Salt will ge dissolved and mixed in about half an hour. I never wait much longer than thst to start my SWG.
    3000 should be fine, if thats really what you have.
    16 x 32 17500 gallons
    Vinyl in-ground
    Hayward 250# Sand Filter
    1 HP Pump
    Hayward SWG

16. Back To Top    #16

I guess I spoke too soon! The SWG switched to Polarity 2 and the "Low Salt" came back. My unit doesn't tell me what its reading for salt. I read in the manual that there may be a difference between polarity 1 and 2 readings. I guess I'll wait a little longer and see what it does.

17. Back To Top    #17

You are probably right at the threshold for low salt. No harm adding a few hundred ppm. Most SWGs will make chlorine up to 4000 ppm or higher. The Pentair doesn't report high salt until 4500 ppm.
    TFP Moderator
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    You are probably right at the threshold for low salt. No harm adding a few hundred ppm. Most SWGs will make chlorine up to 4000 ppm or higher. The Pentair doesn't report high salt until 4500 ppm.
    I just tested the salt again, 3100ppm according to the pool store. I'm taking you advice and adding another bag of salt. I'll let you know what happens.

19. Back To Top    #19

Now I need a bag too! Which reminds me, as the water temp drops the SWG can report lower salt concentrations. Once it drops into the lower 60s I turn off my SWG and switch to bleach.
    TFP Moderator

20. Back To Top    #20

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    Now I need a bag too! Which reminds me, as the water temp drops the SWG can report lower salt concentrations. Once it drops into the lower 60s I turn off my SWG and switch to bleach.
    It's an epidemic! Well, I received my taylor kit today. The pool is showing 4000ppm. I called circupool and they basically said to ignore the red LED light. I guess I'll see what happens with it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast