Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Diverter valves on returns

1. Back To Top    #1

Brookside Village/Texas

Diverter valves on returns

I am in the process of having my pool replumbed. Is there a benefit to diverter valves on my returns if I do not have any water features or a spa? I will have diverter valves on each suction line.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Back To Top    #2
    Columbia, SC

Re: Diverter valves on returns

I am a believer that all plumbing lines should have a valve or diverter. This is especially true if the equipment pad is a a lower level than the pool.

You may never need the valves, but if you do teh extra few dollars up front will be less expensive and much less hassle than adding them later.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3
    Central Minnesota

Re: Diverter valves on returns

Personally, I wish my returns had at least a 3-way valve between the two separate lines. I only have 2 lines at the pad, but 3 returns. It would be very nice to be able to balance the flow or turn off one or the other during closing etc. I'd say at a minimum, I'd go for 2 common lines that each split to 2 returns at the pad with a 3-way valve between the common lines. To go further, you could have a 3-way valve linked to 2 downstream 3-way valves that feed the 4 return lines. You could also go with four 2-way valves, one for each line.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons