Air in my heliomatic solar heating system

Edie

Oct 12, 2015
Las Vegas, NV
My brother noticed a steady stream of bubbles coming out of the holes in the sides of the pool where the solar system water normally enters the pool (there's probably a technical term for them but I don't know it) and told me it looked like there was air in my pool system. As he is younger than me I hate it when he's right, but since he has more experience with pools I figured I'd take his word for it (don't tell him I said so). When I turned off the solar system the bubbles stopped so that does seem to point to the solar heater, doesn't it? Any ideas?

My brother noticed a steady stream of bubbles coming out of the holes in the sides of the pool where the solar system water normally enters the pool (there's probably a technical term for them but I don't know it) and told me it looked like there was air in my pool system. As he is younger than me I hate it when he's right, but since he has more experience with pools I figured I'd take his word for it (don't tell him I said so). When I turned off the solar system the bubbles stopped so that does seem to point to the solar heaterE, doesn't it? Any ideas?

Oops, just noticed: when timer turned off pool pump, bubbles stop bubbling. Does that indicate problem with air in pool pump or still could be air in solar heating system?

Tell him to backwash the filter and see if that helps. If so, he needs to watch the filter pressure and make sure it does not get above 1.25x the clean filter pressure.

Same problem here.

As a result, the auto vac has essentially died. Its just hovers now.

I think that there is a loose fitting somewhere in the solar collector plumbing which is sucking in air due to the volume of the water flowing through the pipes. Its probably somewhere up high where the gravity from the falling water is overcoming the pos psi in the plumbing. I can't see where else the air could be coming from.

The two inlets (bottom and skimmer) can't suck air as they're both underwater. And the return flow from the collectors rejoins the plumbing downstream of the pump/filter/SWG.

Any thoughts and ideas welcome.

Dude.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.