Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is this filter big enough?

1. Back To Top    #1

Is this filter big enough?

picture079.jpg
    The Hayward C17502 / IG shockcrete 446 sq. ft. pool??? Says 175 ft2? Seems like other similar size pools on here have at least a 420ft filter, am I reading this wrong?
    17K gal IG Shockrete ff 30x20 446sq. 87' 3.5-6' sunshelf bub. 12" raised planter slv sf travertine 3' sheer descent 2 sconces brass Hayward StarClear Plus C17502 Cartridge filter Hayward AquaRite T15 Salt system Hayward Super 2, 2sp. 2 hp pump Hayward Colorlogic LED 1 pool in the deep 1 spa in shallow Coping Silver tumbled travertine Tile Noble Siren Decking 1500'Flagstone Cr/bg/ch Herritage

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Is this filter big enough?

I've been doing some homework on your question, and I believe that the answer is not just a simple as looking at one variable (i.e. sq ft, or pool volume). Other factors such as the pump's GPM flow rate, head loss, additional water uses (i.e. waterfall, etc) can have an effect on the entire configuration of your equipment, to include filter size.

There are several TFP threads that point to a filter size in excess of 400 sq ft as you noted. But you may want to read this page Hydraulics 101 - Have you lost your head? [Archive] - Trouble Free Pool that was put together by our experts some time ago. It contains great info. But one common theme holds true - it is quite common to install a filter slightly larger than required to increase efficiency and help reduce maintenance/cleaning times. It doesn't mean a smaller or original PB-assigned filter won't work as well. I myself have a 16x40, 18K pool with a simple Hayward C12002 filter. Could it be larger? - sure. Maybe if I knew then what I know now it would, but I suspect that with regular vacuuming I would probably still rinse it out just as much. With TFP-clear water, my filter holds quite well too.

Not sure if I really helped you as you had hoped, but perhaps after this reply some other folks will chime-in with some more input.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

As I understand all the larger filter helps with is cleaning interval, doesn't filter any better, as said in the previous post.
    DONE, 20 x 40, inground gunite, 30" raised bond beam with 3 12" sheer descents, 8' diving board, pentair 420 cartridge filter, vs-3050 pump, intellechlor ic-40, auto cvr, Tahoe blue pebble tech, 6ea 4' x 12.5' & 2ea 1' x 12.5' helicol solar panels, legend robotic cleaner.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

What size pump you have is the most important factor.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

The pump is a Hayward Super 2, 2hp, 2 speed
    17K gal IG Shockrete ff 30x20 446sq. 87' 3.5-6' sunshelf bub. 12" raised planter slv sf travertine 3' sheer descent 2 sconces brass Hayward StarClear Plus C17502 Cartridge filter Hayward AquaRite T15 Salt system Hayward Super 2, 2sp. 2 hp pump Hayward Colorlogic LED 1 pool in the deep 1 spa in shallow Coping Silver tumbled travertine Tile Noble Siren Decking 1500'Flagstone Cr/bg/ch Herritage

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

You can go to the Hayward website and find the pump curve for that model. Using a head loss of around 50 (that suits most pools) you can then find your gpm of that particular pump.....say, maybe 88 gpm (just making an example)

Then look for a filter that the gpm rating is around 25% in excess of that number....in this case 110 GPM and then get a filter rated at that or a little more.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

For a cartridge filter, bigger is better. The only reason you need to worry about flow rates is if you are trying to use a large pump with a questionably small filter.

For a 17k gallon pool in FL, I would want a minimum of 250 sqft. So 175 sqft is not much on the small side.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    For a cartridge filter, bigger is better. The only reason you need to worry about flow rates is if you are trying to use a large pump with a questionably small filter.

For a 17k gallon pool in FL, I would want a minimum of 250 sqft. So 175 sqft is not much on the small side.
    Am I reading this chart right? If so, the biggest residential filter on this model Hayward is 200 sqft???

9. Back To Top    #9

They have different designs that go much larger.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

The larger the cartridge filter the longer the cycles between cleaning. Hayward makes a few different types with one going all the way to 700 sq Ft. The larger filter will in many cases reduce running pressure and increase flow.
    Hayward Pool Tech
    80+ Years of Technologically Advanced Pool Product Manufacturing
    poolside@haywardnet.com