Owner / Builder Pool - Please Critique

Sorry I didn't get pics up sooner. Pool took 40 hours to fill. :eek:

Spent the the day on the phone with bdavis466, he was kind enough to help me get the equipment running and guide me through the startup process. Thanks Brian!

Took these this afternoon. Can't wait to see what it looks like at night with the intellibrite LED lights. Will post a night pic when I get home. Under the sun the finish is brighter than what the earlier pictures show.

love it, very nice.

any ideas on % saved by "managing" the build yourself? major PITA or was it OK? I'm in Texas and (work permitting) will be looking to build soon.

What I think looks especially pleasing here is that the elevated decking in the back, from which the sheers come from, is at ground level. Although I understand the need to build up an artificial wall for water features in many scenarios, it just has an added look of realism if the ground behind it is at that level too, like the pool is essentially a retaining wall. Very nice.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Have you still not added any acid? Are you seeing much plaster dust?

Once the pH gets up to around 8, add enough acid to drop it to 7.8 and repeat as needed for the next few weeks (about 17-20 oz of acid with your current numbers). Maintaining a higher pH will help with your plaster curing and greatly reduce the acid use. Continue running the pump 24/7 and brushing the pool as often as you can stand. The trichlor pucks are OK in the skimmer as long as your pump is continuously running and water is being pulled from the skimmer.

FWIW I would have gone through around 6-8 gallons of acid by now. Your fill water is awesome.

Haven't added any acid. Plaster dust is almost non existent in pool but there is plenty in the spa. Trichlor pucks were put in the skimmer Tuesday morning and no chlorine showed on the test today. How long does chlorine take to show on the test? Why is there so much more plaster dust in the spa and how do I get rid of it?

Go into spa mode and sweep everything to the bottom drains. Don't turn the booster on for this since that doesn't circulate through the filter. The spa may require the dust to be vacuumed out manually if that isn't effective.

Don't worry about the chlorine level. You are adding it very slowly which is very good for the plaster.

Since your calcium level seems stable, no need to check that again for another week or two. PH and TA are what is critical right now. Trichlor is net acidic so that will help with pH rise somewhat. Don't let them sit in the skimmer for any length of time if the pump is not running and be VERY cautious when handling and adding acid.

Did we set up a Pool High circuit? If so, that's what you will want to have activated when you add any chemicals.

No problem. Who would have thought you'd be doing a bicarb start-up, saved money on your plaster, and learned a gaggle of information about your pool equipment in less than a week!

Hats off to you for being so proactive and eager to learn.

Wait until it gets to 8 and then lower it down to 7.8.

Using Pool Math, plug your gallonage (26,000) and your current numbers in the column on the left. Make the numbers on the right what you would like them to be.
In the pH section, change the acid portion to muriatic acid - 31.45%-20 Baume. It will then tell you how much acid to add which was around 18oz (given your current TA).

Finally its good to see your pH doing something!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.