Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Going away a few nights

1. Back To Top    #1

Going away a few nights

We will be away for 3 nights. Is there anything in particular I should to do to the spa?
    And down the road if away for 1 week anything different I should do?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Going away a few nights

Are you using chlorine added manually after each soak? If so, then elevate the chlorine level so that it will last for the 3 days. Keep the spa covered and lower the temperature setting since that will have the chlorine last longer. However, if you have an ozonator it will use up chlorine a lot faster at least doubling the daily chlorine demand. If you have a way of turning that off, that would be best.

For 1 week, you could only use the elevated chlorine and reduced temperature approach if you didn't have an ozonator. With an ozonator, your're toast in that situation and would cross fingers that the ozone itself was sufficient to keep the spa in decent shape.

If you used bromine, then bromine tabs in a floating dispenser should last through a week. Or if you have an ozonator, then with a bromide bank it will make more bromine.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks. Sorry forgot to mention that I am using bromine. And I add some chlorine after each soak.

4. Back To Top    #4

So having bromine tabs in a floating feeder should last you at least up to one week depending on how many tabs you put in. If you have an ozonator and established a bromide bank then the ozone can also produce bromine from it.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"