Trouble with my Frog system

stac

Mar 13, 2013
This is our third season with our 18x32 above ground pool. This spring, we decided to try out the Frog system that everyone said we "had to have". Well, this has been the toughest season yet. I can not seem to find the perfect setting to keep it at to keep it clear. About 3 weeks ago I final got the 'crystal' looking water that I used to have last year, but I have it set the Frog at 9, while still shocking it. That seemed to work until I got up this morning to cloudy water again. I checked to make sure filter was clean, it was fine, but after only 2 weeks, my bac pac was empty. I do keep my solar cover on a lot to try to keep heat in , as we are in Michigan, but was told that shouldn't matter much. I am not under any trees, and we swim between 4-5 times a week. Does anyone know why it is taking so much to keep my pool clear? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks

First, if you could put your location (city and state) in your profile and also your pool info in a signature that would help us out very much.

Second, the Frog is not looked upon very highly here. There are two parts to that, one is the mineral pac. You pay $100 a year for the privilege of adding silver (it is a mineral after all) in to your water which can help kill algae but will also stain your liner if it gets too high. Then there is the bac pac, which for the price is full of only about $7 worth of trichlor tablets. Not a very good value and we generally are not big fans of regular trichlor use here either since it adds CYA to your water, too much of which can be a considerable problem.

The TFPC method of pool care relies on proper testing your water with a good kit (I personally only recommend the k-2006 or TF-100) and adjusting your levels based on this testing. Clearing a cloudy pool and keeping it that way is actually very easy when you use one of those test kits and perform the SLAM procedure. You can even keep the Frog if you really like it, though as a former Frog user I recommend against it.

To add to what Donaldson said there is a very good chance that you are dealing with CYA build up due to excessive use of trichlor, quality testing can confirm this. If so the solution is substantial water replacement as CYA does not evaporate out the pool and must be diluted to practically lower its level.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.