Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Jandy SWG Boost Button

1. Back To Top    #1

Jandy SWG Boost Button

When should I use the boost button on my SWG? Should I use it instead of shock once a week? New to SWG, thanks for your help!

In ground pool with pebble tech plaster. 15100 gallons with Jandy 2.0 hp variable speed pump and an Aqua Pure 1400 Fsoft SWG. Has an Ice Breaker heat pump and Jandy cartridge filter.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Jandy SWG Boost Button

Hey there MaLi

The boost buttons on SWG cause the cell to go into high drive (like 100% for x hours) which is actually kind of hard on the cell when you consider that a cell's lifespan is y hours. If for some reason you feel a need to raise the FC level of your pool quickly, a much better way is to use liquid chlorine aka " Household Bleach".

Liquid chlorine gives you the instant rise in FC whereas SWGs are meant to *s-l-o-w-l-y* and steadily maintain your chlorine.

You should never have to "Shock" your pool if you keep your FC and CYA at proper levels. Have you read up in PoolSchool (top right of this page) to learn about the ABC's of Water Chemistry??

Good reading for new pool owners
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!

Weekly shocking is not required by TFPer's if you follow our suggestions. To get you going in the right direction I suggest start by reading the following, Pool School - Water Balance for SWGs, and ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks all, I'll read those articles!

In ground pool with pebble tech plaster. 15100 gallons with Jandy 2.0 hp variable speed pump and an Aqua Pure 1400 Fsoft SWG. Has an Ice Breaker heat pump and Jandy cartridge filter.

5. Back To Top    #5

What would be an instance in which I would want to use the boost button?

6. Back To Top    #6

In all my years I've never pushed the boost button. Whenever my pools needs a boost I add liquid chlorine as it instantly raises the chlorine level to the amount that I want it raised to.

The circumstances that usually require a quick raise is before and after a large swim party or if I measure the FC below my minimum recommended FC level, Chlorine CYA Chart.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process