Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Found hole in my liner deep end easy or need diver?

1. Back To Top    #1

Found hole in my liner deep end easy or need diver?

Hello all. Found a hole in my liner but its in the deeper end 7 feet. To patch it do I need a diver or if I wear the mask will a few minutes be enough to patch it on and have it secure?
    IG 15 X 30 Rectangle Vinyl Liner Built 1994
    Hayward DE 3620 Vertical Pro Grid
    AquaCal Heat Pump
    18K gallons

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Found hole in my liner deep end easy or need diver?

With a mask only, it is a real problem to stay down deep....you are too buoyant. In 7 feet of water, you can give it a try but I think you need scuba.

I had my wife hold me to the bottom in four feet so I could inspect something. She used the leaf net pole and enjoyed it wa-a-a-y too much
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Love to have a pic of that Dave!~
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh View Post
    With a mask only, it is a real problem to stay down deep....you are too buoyant. In 7 feet of water, you can give it a try but I think you need scuba.

I had my wife hold me to the bottom in four feet so I could inspect something. She used the leaf net pole and enjoyed it wa-a-a-y too much
    Thanks for the laugh.
    Matt
    2016 Pool Build: 12k IG Blue Granite Pebblesheen, Travertine Coping & Pavers, Pentair IntelliFlo, Intellichlor, Easytouch, Clean & Clear 320, Heliocol Solar - TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    SWG Run Time Calculator

5. Back To Top    #5

Go buy a weight vest or make one so you don't float. You could possibly even find a scuba shop near you and rent a weight belt for pretty cheap, but now you are going to ahve to work in 30 sec incriments unless you can hold your breath longer...

If you explain what you are doing and ask nicely and be willing to sign any forms they require, they MIGHT even let you rent a tank and regulator but usually this is not done unless you are certified. IF they have a SNUBA rig they would likely rent that to you.

You could search ebay Scuba Diving Sherwood Genesis 1st 2nd Stage Regulator | eBay or Craigslist for a used regulator and then tell the scuba shop you need a tank for charging an air rifle or paintball gun and they may rent it to you. If you are willing to fib to them.

don't do anything dumb like trying to use an air compressor.
    7-10 year old In ground 20,000 gal, Aquabright ecofinish W/ Spa, waterfall and infinity jet, 60 sq foot DE filter, Single speed pump, Racer cleaner

6. Back To Top    #6

I ended up accomplishing it going down there placing it on and then back and forth working it on. Its not a great seal im sure but a seal never the less. I did not fold it as a taco that was impossible so just went down and placed it over then worked at it. Patched 3 holes no idea how 2 puncture holes dime size were created after just fixing a leak behind the light fixture. Bought a new vac head in case that was the cause. What a pain in the neck