Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Lake water clothes

  1. Back To Top    #1

    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    clinton
    Posts
    25

    Lake water clothes

    Wasn't sure where to post this, but here goes. We boat on the weekends and I'm wondering if it's ok to swim in the pool clothes that have been in the lake without needing washed, if so should I bump my chlorine up at all?
    Dough boy 15,000gal 1hp hayward pump, 20" meteor sand filter, Taylor K-2006

  2. Back To Top    #2
    Mod Squad jblizzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    37,389

    Re: Lake water clothes

    That could introduce some forms of algae that are harder to control.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

  3. Back To Top    #3
    Mod Squad woodyp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    East Texas
    Posts
    8,993

    Re: Lake water clothes

    Yep, not a good idea.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

  4. Back To Top    #4
    Mod Squad kimkats's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Tallahassee, FL
    Posts
    26,654

    Re: Lake water clothes

    nope-----------into the washer they go. Just not worth it.

    Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

  5. Back To Top    #5

    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    clinton
    Posts
    25

    Re: Lake water clothes

    Ok kinda what I figured just wanted check. Thanks.

  6. Back To Top    #6

    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    728

    Re: Lake water clothes

    Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    That could introduce some forms of algae that are harder to control.
    I hope this isn't considered a hijack of the thread, but I think it belongs here...

    Are there really algae in natural bodies of water that are different enough from what typically grows in pools that they are 'harder to control' as you say? I've read plenty of threads where people wonder if they have some super-resistant unusual algae species in their pool, only to be told that that is not a viable hypothesis. Anecdotally, my kids have been swimming in at least three different lakes/ponds this summer (day camps, swimming lessons, etc.). They hang their stuff up to dry when they get home, but are allowed in the pool later with the same swimsuits... See, I bought into the idea that algae is algae, and adequate chlorine kills algae and keeps it from multiplying.

    So far, no problems in the pool. However, if better stronger algae are actually out there (?) I would like to be better informed.
    18' x 48" ring top pool (Summer Escapes); 5500 gallons; set up June - October, stored during winter; Intex 2500 gph pump (B size cartridge filter) Hayward 21" sand filter + 1.5 hp single speed Powerflo Matrix pump (upgrade October 2016) *** K-2006 test kit, refills from tftestkits

  7. Back To Top    #7
    Mod Squad kimkats's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Tallahassee, FL
    Posts
    26,654

    Re: Lake water clothes

    To me it is not so much that it is better or different algae. It is the fact that it IS algae. At least from the lakes and ponds.

    I jet ski in a river all of the time. There is no visible algae but.....I do not take any chances. Wash before reuse at this house.

    Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

  8. Back To Top    #8

    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    728

    Re: Lake water clothes

    Not trying to be argumentative, but aren't algae spores all around us anyway? I had assumed that a swimsuit dunked in lake water, and then hung up in the sun to dry, was no greater hazard than the ambient environment around the pool.

    My question above was about the fear of introducing 'harder to control' algae from lake water into our pools. In short, any reason to think that algae from natural bodies of water are, in fact, different and harder to control than the species that usually cause trouble in swimming pools?
    18' x 48" ring top pool (Summer Escapes); 5500 gallons; set up June - October, stored during winter; Intex 2500 gph pump (B size cartridge filter) Hayward 21" sand filter + 1.5 hp single speed Powerflo Matrix pump (upgrade October 2016) *** K-2006 test kit, refills from tftestkits

  9. Back To Top    #9
    Mod Squad YippeeSkippy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    'burbs of Augusta, Georgia
    Posts
    6,459

    Re: Lake water clothes

    Quote Originally Posted by singingpond View Post
    My question above was about the fear of introducing 'harder to control' algae from lake water into our pools. In short, any reason to think that algae from natural bodies of water are, in fact, different and harder to control than the species that usually cause trouble in swimming pools?
    Yes, very much so IMO. Plus additional water borne cooties that you normally won't find in a pool can be transferred in.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

  10. Back To Top    #10

    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    728

    Re: Lake water clothes

    OK, I'll bite - based on what evidence or information?


    Edited to add - the post I responded to said simply "Yes, very much so." The post was then edited to mention other things (non algae) that might come from lake water, which may be a valid point. More specifics would be interesting, but I wanted to clarify that my question wasn't directed to that part of the previous post.

    I still hope to see evidence, or lack thereof, that lake or pond algae is somehow different and harder to control if it finds its way into a swimming pool.
    18' x 48" ring top pool (Summer Escapes); 5500 gallons; set up June - October, stored during winter; Intex 2500 gph pump (B size cartridge filter) Hayward 21" sand filter + 1.5 hp single speed Powerflo Matrix pump (upgrade October 2016) *** K-2006 test kit, refills from tftestkits

  11. Back To Top    #11
    Mod Squad YippeeSkippy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    'burbs of Augusta, Georgia
    Posts
    6,459

    Re: Lake water clothes

    Well, I don't have citations at my fingertips, just awareness that different water bodies harbor different things (not necessarily just algae). Vibrio is one example of a bacteria that rears its head at times in water down in the coast.

    I've cared for patients with infections acquired from water borne activities and even know of cases of getting sick from fish tank bacteria, and while of course our chlorine filled pool should be able to handle them, I wouldn't want to encourage inoculation of the pool with unusual flora and fauna.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

  12. Back To Top    #12

    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    N Tonawanda, NY
    Posts
    469

    Re: Lake water clothes

    If it's really a problem then wouldn't everyone also need to bathe & wash their hair? It's something everyone needs to decide for themselves but I wouldn't worry about.
    16' x 34' vinyl in ground - 16,500 gal.
    Hayward EC-75 DE filter with Hayward 1hp Super Pump
    TF-100XL Test Kit with SpeedStir

  13. Back To Top    #13
    Mod Squad YippeeSkippy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    'burbs of Augusta, Georgia
    Posts
    6,459

    Re: Lake water clothes

    Just tossing this out there- "safe for drinking but don't get it up your nose" UGH.

    Third Louisiana Public Water Supply Site Tests Positive for Brain-Eating Amoeba
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

  14. Back To Top    #14
    DaninFLA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Sarasota, FL
    Posts
    1,011

    Re: Lake water clothes

    Quote Originally Posted by YippeeSkippy View Post
    Well, I don't have citations at my fingertips, just awareness that different water bodies harbor different things (not necessarily just algae). Vibrio is one example of a bacteria that rears its head at times in water down in the coast.

    I've cared for patients with infections acquired from water borne activities and even know of cases of getting sick from fish tank bacteria, and while of course our chlorine filled pool should be able to handle them, I wouldn't want to encourage inoculation of the pool with unusual flora and fauna.
    bacteria thrive in lakes, etc because there is nothing to kill/oxidize them. bacteria do not survive very long in chlorinated pools, cdc link for reference: CDC - Chlorine Disinfection Timetable - Pools Recreational Water - Healthy Water

    I agree with others that I don't think its a big deal at all to jump in the pool after being in a lake. you were already exposed to whatever issues were present in the lake and are fine, and those "things" will not survive very long in a chlorinated pool. if you are that concerned with exposure of bacteria, parasites, etc, then I would suggest you don't get in the lake.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by YippeeSkippy View Post
    Just tossing this out there- "safe for drinking but don't get it up your nose" UGH.

    Third Louisiana Public Water Supply Site Tests Positive for Brain-Eating Amoeba
    i'll take my chances with brain eating amoebas in my pool instead of a lake any day

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by singingpond View Post
    Not trying to be argumentative, but aren't algae spores all around us anyway? I had assumed that a swimsuit dunked in lake water, and then hung up in the sun to dry, was no greater hazard than the ambient environment around the pool.

    My question above was about the fear of introducing 'harder to control' algae from lake water into our pools. In short, any reason to think that algae from natural bodies of water are, in fact, different and harder to control than the species that usually cause trouble in swimming pools?
    you are correct that spores are all around us and are constantly bombarding our pools. I guess I don't share the same views on this as others, but I wouldn't have any issues to go from the lake to the pool. if the fear is contacting something, stay out of the lake. algae, even some strain that may have higher tolerances to chlorine, can be handled by the pool. we are testing every day so we can handle it pretty quickly.
    Dan
    9,000 gallon in-ground Saltwater pool, plaster, cartridge filer, 1.0 hp pump, Hayward T-15 SWCG, TF-100
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart; Pool School - Test Kits Compared;

  15. Back To Top    #15
    Mod Squad JVTrain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Central Minnesota
    Posts
    5,079

    Re: Lake water clothes

    No big deal, in my point of view. If I were swimming in a lake that I would swim in the first place, it would be fine. If I had been wading through one of the more scummy lakes or a wetland or marsh around here, then it would be wash for sure. We've got 10,000+ lakes around here but some are better than others.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •