Our green monster! oh no!

Check the pump. Any leaks around it? Look inside pump strainer! Is the water inside clear? Or does it have some air inside along with water?

If you have a sand filter, you can run it 24/7 untill the water is clear. After I backwashing my sand filter, I always rinse it for at least 5 min. To be sure nothing will get back to the pool after I put it back to Filter position.

Also, did you clean the strainer basket in the pump? If it has too much stuff inside (like lint), that may introduce some cloudiness too.

Don't give up, we'll get your pool clear to catch the end of the season.

Pool still looks like this today
c6cebb2405217659195d336ed682f35e.jpg
59c896d40655b5e2429c2e4f1ebef6f6.jpg
f69122edd1e8a5a9d86f13e1817bd3fc.jpg
3d61bb81f9da74a63ce966f3109373dc.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I would say the size of your sand filter is big enough for your pool. I have a sand filter 3-4 times bigger then yours and my pool is 37,000 Gal. BUT, my filter runs 24/7.

Try to run the filter 24/7 (if the rated pressure allows for it, max PSI should be written on the filter valve). If you get a lot of sun, then you need to compensate for chlorine loss during daytime (do you use any kind of stabilizer?). My indoor pool is only getting couple of hours of sunlight through UV protected, tinted windows (see my avatar), but this time is enough to lower the TC level in the pool by 2.0 mg/l.

Also, you probably need to brush and vacuum every day to speed up the process (although I understand that it might be very hard to do since you never seen the bottom of the pool).

Filter is running 24/ 7. It has been since after first few days of backwashing every 20 min or so..hubby managed to get DE to go in and not immediately cause us to backwash by adding 1/8 cup at a time letting it clog turning pump off , waiting for it to settle and turning back on without backwash and it starts at about 18, which is normal start up for us, and runs about 2 hrs . we can see very fine clearish particles in the water if we take out some in a clear container...they look like sparks in the water when the sun hits them at the right angle.. I dunno so very discouraged.. SLAM officially started 8-4 when we received our tf100 kit.. I am now down to last of fas dpd , which we ordered the xl refill on that too..may have 5 or 6 tests left.. Gone broke on chlorine and still limited results.. Our cya is 30 and we have had 16 to 20 fc since.. Current numbers are fc 18 cc .5.. So ready to give up but we have come this far afraid of what will happen if we quit now..

Any update on if your water has metals in it? I'm thinking THAT might be your problem if you pass the OCLT and your CCs are <0.5. You may not be passing the 'clear water' stage of SLAM due to a potential metal problem.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If it is a metal problem, the right sequestering agent will clear up the pool quite quickly. I saw this on another thread where the guy was SLAMing his pool for a while like you and finally figured out it was a metal problem and low and behold, he could actually WATCH the pool getting clearer once he added it. I wish I could find that thread for you to give you some hope!!

DE helps to filter better, but may not be able to filter out the metal from water. Agent99 is right, there was a thread with similar situation and the guy was doing everything correctly but with low results. After he got rid of the metal, the water was crystal clear.
I use a recomended dose of AQUA COP-OUT every week in my pool, couple days before brushing and vacuuming. It says on the bottle that it helps to prevent damage to equipment and staining of the pool surface due to excessive copper in water.

You ARE doing everything right. Your pool on the other hand is being bad! LOL I agree with the metal testing if for not other reason to rule that out.

Keep doing what you are doing with a metal test thrown in!

HUGS! It is hard to do everything you need to do with moving THEN add a bad pool?????? OUCH!

Kim

AllMar, did you do the overnight chlorine test yet? Please post your results when you do.

I need to stress that while metals if oxidized will TINT the water, metal itself will not usually cause cloudiness (unless its bound with calcium.) often, it can be perfectly clear.

So we need the OCLT test first to see whether or not you are still fighting organics at all, and to determine if the organics are the source of cloudiness, or not ;) THEN I have no doubt you need a startup dose of Metal Magic or Jacks Magic.

But if you also have a filtration issue, I will tell you in advance that metal sequestrant may also PRODUCE some cloudiness if it bonds with ch faster than your filter can remove it. If it clouds, it also can take another 3 days to clear. So don't dump it in right now no matter what the pool store or anyone else says...be certain your organics are gone!

Also, to dx what's going on with the filter, we need you to tell us about what happened when you changed the sand, and what kind of sand you used.

For example, a recent poster had weeks and weeks of a slam and then discovered that PLAY SAND had been used in the filter by mistake, causing cloudiness that would not abate until he flocked and changed the sand. Pool sand should be grade #20.

So please provide those details so we can help you avoid spinning your wheels. Don't chase metals alone as the panacea -- while I'm literally positive you have some metals, I'm not convinced metals alone are the source of cloudiness ;)

We have passes the OCLT 3 nights in a row.. Hubby went to local pool store this am and they do not test for metals..found out we do have a Leslie's in nearby Spartanburg.. Soo gonna go see how that goes.. Hubby has been researching and found natural Zeolite Sand. Has anyone used or know of results using this product. For use it will be another 100.00 spent..

Skip that zeosand. It will not help you.

One issue is the size of your filter. Just guessing from the pic, but that is not nearly enough filter for a pool your size. You should have a filter at least 24" in diameter. That small one will take a long time to clean your pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.