Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do i get rid of dead algae

1. Back To Top    #1

How do i get rid of dead algae

Ive been fighting this battle for the second year in a row. Until i came across this website. Please help save me.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How do i get rid of dead algae

Welcome to TFP!

Can you post up a full set of test results? To ensure you have killed the algae, you need to follow the SLAM process. The filter can then catch up and remove the dead algae.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

where do i find the slam process. Im send my test result as we speak

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

And, if in fact it is already dead, simply vacuum it up.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

free chlorine 2.04 Total chlorine 2.04 combined chl 0 ph 7.8 hardnes 198 alkalinity 108
    cyanuric acid 82ppm copper 0.2 iron 0 borate 0

- - - Updated - - -

Ive tried vacuuming to waste, it appears clean i turn the filter off when all is settled i see dirt looking particle all over pool duraleigh

6. Back To Top    #6

Those would,appear,to be test results from a pool store. Their results are almost always questionable.

You need to get your own FAS-DPD test kit and take control yourself. The TF100 is the most cost effective kit. Plus, pick up,the XL option as you will be conducting a SLAM.

If you confirm the high CYA with your test kit you will need to do a partial drain/refill before you SLAM.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

7. Back To Top    #7

how is the taylor k 2005 kit

- - - Updated - - -

can i start the slam now before the the kit arrive

8. Back To Top    #8

That doesn't have the FAS/DPD test that you need for chlorine. The only tests recommended are the TF100 TFTestkits.net or the Taylor 2006. You can order the TF100 and I would get the XL option as you are going to have to perform a SLAM and a speed stir is a nice option.

- - - Updated - - -

I would wait until you get the test kit as you can't accurately test the water. Just add about 1/2 to 1 gallon of bleach depending on the size of your pool each night until you get your test kit. It would help us to give better advice if you filled out your signature line!
    5900 G Fiberglass IG pool (circa 1990), SWG Hayward Aqua Rite GoldLine (2013), IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump (2013), Hayward Pro Sand Filter (circa 1990), Well water (no iron or other metals fortunately), test with Taylor K2006C, Charleston, SC

9. Back To Top    #9

Be careful comparing prices on line. The Taylor K2006 kits have several sizes denoted by a letter. The "C" kit is the most comparable to the TF100. If you buy the basic K2006 kit it's about $50 on line, but it does t have sufficient reagents to conduct a SLAM.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

10. Back To Top    #10

My taylor 2006 arrived today. Here are the results--- Combine chlorine 0 ---- free chlorine 6ppm------- ph 7.8 alkalinity 130ppm calcium 200ppm Cat 60pppm

11. Back To Top    #11

My taylor 2006 arrived today. Here are the results--- Combine chlorine 0 ---- free chlorine 6ppm------- ph 7.8 alkalinity 130ppm calcium 200ppm Cat 60pppm

12. Back To Top    #12

Now follow the SLAM process knowing that your CYA is 60ppm and you hand to maintain the FC at something liked 24ppm (check the chart).

Be sure to use 10ml water sample for the FAS-DPD chlorine test so that each drop is 0.5ppm and you can save the reagents. You may still run out.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

13. Back To Top    #13

Hello, my SLAM process went good. I've passed the 3 test this morning my FC went down only .5 from last night, water clear and my CC is 0. But I do still see dead algae in the bottom of pool. please advise.

14. Back To Top    #14

This is where continuing to vacuum/sweep and filter will help to catch any residual dead organic material as it flows back to your filtration system. That could still take a day or two, but should eventually clear-up. Now that you've experienced a SLAM, if your water should ever appear cloudy or you see evidence of algae, you know what to do. If you don't see any improvement in a day or two, let us know. Congratulations on passing your SLAM.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

15. Back To Top    #15

Just vacuum it up
    IG Tear Drop, Dark Gray Gunite , 27,000 gallons -Age 50+-years, very old Hayward Split Egg Sand Filter with side mount Multi-port- Hayward SP2600VSP Pump- Hayward chlorine feed (not used since finding TFP) - Laars 315K BTU Oil heater- LoopLoc Safety cover- AquaBot RAPIDS 4WD- TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speedstir- 390 Gal Hot Springs Spa Envoy installed May 2017

16. Back To Top    #16

Do i need to vacuum to waste or just to filter

17. Back To Top    #17

I vacuum to filter then run a quick backwash to clear out the yucky stuff. Don't forget to run to rinse before you turn it back to filter.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

18. Back To Top    #18

Hello, I'm wondering what is causing the black dead algae to stick around. I vacuum my pool with a cordless vac the pool is spotless once i turn the pool filter on the black stuff returns in the cracks of the pool im so done already. i was wondering is it my filter help me please
    28 round AG 13,500 gals built July 2006 Taylor 2006 test kit
    Haywood 22" Sand Filter System with 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed

19. Back To Top    #19

TFP Guide

You will get there, I promise.

Even though I passed my OCLT I had a similar issue, and had to double my FC levels for a few more days to resolve the issue. That's probably what you need to do too because your slam was done fairly quickly and you might not have got it all.

Could you post a pic of what you are seeing? I want to ensure it is algae and not just dirt/dust because that stuff is bad right now.

If you are certain you passed all 3 criteria for OCLT then Per the Chlorine/CYA chart http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...art-slam-shock With your CYA of 60, your FC Target level is 7ppm, so double that, and raise and maintain your FC level to 14ppm for a few more days, and that should take care of the issue.
    If that doesn't resolve it you'll need to go back up to Slam shock level but we'll cross that bridge if we have to, but hopefully you won't have to.

Also continue with the sweeping and vacuuming and ALSO try placing a knee high panty hose or a skimmer sock in your skimmer basket to help trap more of the smaller particles. Here is a thread that I wrote on the benefits of putting a knee high in the skimmer basket there are other items that can be used as well in the comments of the thread. http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...g-trip-anymore

EDIT: Also a lot of times the stuff is so fine that the vacuum when it hits it just sends it into a million dust particles back into the water so that's where the knee high or skimmer sock etc. will come in very handy.

I hope this helps. Have a wonderful night
    24' Round x 4.5 ft deep AGP (15,200 Gallons), Vinyl Liner, Hayward Vari Flo XL Sand Filter- (model SP0714T1),
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, SLAM & the Chlorine/CYA CHART. Support this Site! TFP Totally Rocks.

20. Back To Top    #20

Mike it sounds like you are not done with your SLAM. Have you done a OCLT? What were the results? If not please do one tonight.

Pool School - Perform the Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT)

Do like Crackerjacks says to help filter out the tiny stuff.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast