Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Upgrade Question

1. Back To Top    #1

Upgrade Question

Ok. I purchased a home with in ground pool. The plumbing is above ground. I have an estimate for new skimmer, 2 return jets, new pool light and converting to gfci electrical. Can't forget they are taking the pipes under ground (breaking concrete). I was quoted about $4200. I have a two party question. Does the estimate sound fair? Does the pool have to be COMPLETELY drained? Contractor says yes.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Upgrade Question

Do you have pics? I would like to see the plumbing above ground for an inground pool.

I would not think it would have to be drained completely unless your are adding a main drain in the bottom.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

I can post pics later when I'm home. The contractor did mention doing a pressure test. I'm not sure if this is why it needs to be drained.

4. Back To Top    #4

A pressure test should not need to have the pool drained. Any follow up?

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by jwalker1nr View Post
    Ok. I purchased a home with in ground pool. The plumbing is above ground. I have an estimate for new skimmer, 2 return jets, new pool light and converting to gfci electrical. Can't forget they are taking the pipes under ground (breaking concrete). I was quoted about $4200. I have a two party question. Does the estimate sound fair? Does the pool have to be COMPLETELY drained? Contractor says yes.
    I think that price sounds very fair.
    Chances are that the over-the-deck plumbing was put in to keep the pool running when the original plumbing failed.
    If I were doing it, I would insist on draining the pool too!
    In the industry, CSP (Certified Service Professional) by the NSPI and it's successor the APSP. My company services over 600 pools every year. I think the practices regularly espoused on this forum (especially the BBB method) are outstanding; however my comments will be often oriented towards the goal of getting it done, and getting it done right now!