Help please

LOL! I used the whites remark (that was too funny!) on the hubby. I ran in and said: I need all of the whites you can find and hurry PLEASE! He runs around (I did too for effect) and runs up to me with an armload of stuff INCLUDING clean items! He says: Now what?? I said: HURRY GO THROW THEM IN THE POOL! HURRY! He starts for the laundry room and then goes for the basement door and suddenly stops and says: Wait...WHAT? I kept a straight face and said: I can't go in the pool but the whites can! Hurry! He even started again and then said: Oh COME ON!! I so needed that laugh!!! Wish I would have snapped a pic!!! Thanks for that!!!

Still stiring it up sand changing filters. I'll report again tomorrow. I'd like to get the chlorine down, now that the neighborhood has soaked all of their whites, so I can walk in the pool at least. Need to do it for therapy for my knees and back. Love it for resistance excercises too! Can I do anything or do I have to leave it? Been sunny during the day but in the 50's and low 60's at night. Coupled with the late spring there hasn't been much pool time! Thanks!!

Just got home from work and still working. Grilling too. Have to get in tomorrow if I can. Friend wants me to fix her cable but I can't figure it out. She says that's it I'm done with cable. I celebrate inside but then she says when can you come over to try again. ARGH! Anyway I need to stabilize before I leave on Sunday! I'm on it tomorrow! Oh and I have a test kit. Do I have to buy stabilizer? Thanks

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Got it thanks!! Trying to warm up the pool. It's in the 60'. Finally found my solar cover. Too dirty to put on. I'll have to clean it tomorrow. Darn MN. What a short season with the cold spring, big storms and the cooler than normal end of summer. So I'll test again since we have some warmer weather coming up. I'd like to make it to September though! I vacuumed it since there were leaves in it and there was a kind of brown sediment on the bottom and edges. Now it's clean but cloudy.
FC = 11.5
CC = 1
TC = 12.5
CH = 324
TA =70
CYA = 40
CL = 5
PH = 6.8
BR = 10
Going to pool math
N

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and am still running the pump 24/7

Welcome back! Here's what I can see from those latest readings:
pH - Very low! Bring-up right away with either borax, soda ash, and/or aeration. Borax is usually the best choice. Borax raises the PH and also raises the TA level just a little. Borax is available as 20 Mule Team® Borax Natural Laundry Booster. It is sold in the laundry detergent section of most larger grocery stores. You need pH to be at least 7.2.

Are you currently doing a SLAM? If so, your FC should be 16 based on your CYA of 40. SO bring-up your FC using regular bleach.

That's it! :) But do the pH first, let it mix for at least 30 minutes, then if it's at 7.2, get the bleach in there to increase to FC16. Good luck!

- - - Updated - - -

Ahhhhhh, borax. :goodjob:

- - - Updated - - -

Also, if you are doing a SLAM, you'll really only need to test FC on a regular basis to ensure you're at the required FC level. You can check CC once n a while as well. Don't test pH any more when the FC is over 10 or you'll just waste reagents.

Well now it's cloudier than I've seen it. Can barely see the bottom. I had slammed it but the chlorine level didn't come down past 11.5. It's been chilly here and not much sun until yesterday. Do I need clarifier? I miss my crystal clear pool!
N

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and PH is 7.8 now. So that's one good thing.

- - - Updated - - -

I take that back. FC is now 9.

Okay, let's re-cap the past day or so. You used about the right amount of borax to raise pH to about 7.2 for the SLAM. :goodjob: No need to test pH any more until after the SLAM because when your FC is over 10, it messes-up the pH reading. So save your reagents. We'll focus on FC mostly for now. Very important - when you SLAM, it's not an immediate 1-2 day event. So you'll have to give the bleach some time to do its job. It will kill the algae first, then your water can easily look cloudy or white from the dead organic material. You might also see an increase in your CC (trash chlorine) during this period as it transforms. Let it do its thing while you maintain your SLAM level. Your last CYA reading was 40, so based on that, your "SLAM" FC level should always be 16 until you pass all 3 SLAM criteria. You want to keep the FC at 16 at all times until you pass the SLAM.

I'm on the back end of the SLAM. I've been adding bleach and the pool was clearing up. It got cloudy again from vacuuming up the debris and stiring it up. I should have gone slower I'm sure. The only low reading was the ph which I brought up with borax but the pool turned cloudier. FC was going down very slowly. Like .5 or less per day. Is there something else I need to do? This is the first time I've had to do this. I know you guys hate hearing this but in the past I just brought my water in to be tested and they gave me something to clear it up. I'm trying to do this right so I can do it in the future if need be. Season is almost over. Then we can discuss what I can do next year to extend the season and heat my pool! I greatly appreciate all of the help from everyone!! N

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.