Intex pool always going green

What are you keeping your chlorine level at? If it's not high enough for your CYA level all the time, it leaves room for algae to grow. A consistent amount, every day, will keep algae at bay. If it falls below, it can start to grow. (Oh my, didn't mean to make a poem, lol)

Im just so frustrated on why i keep ending up with a green pool that i figured the tree is an issue. it drops bugs, leaves pollen in the pool daily. I've talked with neighbours that have pools, pool store people and they all say i was doing the right things daily yet green pool. so i figured the heat, the tree and all that is the issue since thats what they are all saying.

Is the tree still dropping pollen at this time of year? For example, do you see a new layer of pollen on other objects near the pool?

How sure are you that you cleaned all corners of the pool with your bleach solution when you emptied and scrubbed recently? Did anything feel slimy when you went over the surface of the empty pool? Just wondering if there might have been algae remnants waiting to repopulate.

Ok so for the past 3 days the pool has been green. i can still see the bottom and it doesn't seem to be getting worse or better which is odd to me..so any ideas? i cleaned the filter 5 times yesterday and there was a little green but not as much as i thought i would find.. the pool dumps bugs and leaves and stuff and sometimes i see a resume on top of the pool..i just figured it was the tree as the pool stores here tell me thats my issue..when i drained the pool i scrubbed every inch..including the bottom. there wasn't much green spots but i made sure i got them. then i rinsed everything again. from my crappy test strips the stabilizer is still at 30. bleach level at 5. pump has been running non stop.

Laurabelle7, I had the exact same pool at one time. So I went back to the beginning of this thread (July 24th), and the common thing I see making this difficult for you right now appears to be not having the proper test kit. You do have some basic testing capability (PH and low FC), but not enough to test Free Chlorine (FC) at levels higher than 5, so it will be very difficult to treat green water or do a "SLAM".

Look at it this way: Your CYA (stabilizer) and FC (Free Chlorine) go hand-in-hand together like peas & carrots. They work together to keep your water clean. Now even with new water, and assuming you added stabilizer for a beginning target of 30 CYA, your chlorine (FC) needs to be at least 4 on a good day when water is clean. Now that your water is green again, your FC level needs to be 12. So without the FAS-DPD portion of a good test kit (R-0870 powder with R-0871 drops), you can't check the FC level over 5. That's a big problem for you I think. I know in Canada it's more difficult to obtain one, but you really need that kit.

Without the proper test kit, this will all seem like guesswork and become very frustrating. None of us want to see you go through that. :(

Thanks i am going to get a kit. i just won't have it till next year. if i order it now there is no way ill get it soon as I'm in canada and have to order from the USA. ill just keep plugging along and well enjoy our green pool...its not slimy or anything so hey i guess its ok to swim in

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It is safe to swim when
PH is 7.2 to 7.8
Chlorine is above minimum and below shock level for
your CYA level, Chlorine CYA Chart
The water is clear and you can see the bottom and swimmers.

Lots of people swim in lots of water with algae in it. Lakes, rivers, ponds. No prob.

So the pool has been full on green for quite a few days. I know I don't have the proper testing kit but I have slammed the water and nothing for days. I'm so frustrated. I refilled the pool which is going to cost me big time and we got one day out of it.
Started to wonder if it's even worth getting this kit for next year or just get rid of the pool

Laurabelle, I suspect one of two things is happening, either there is more debris and junk in the water you can't see slowing-down the SLAM process, or the lack of having the proper test kit means your chlorine level is not accurate to meet the SLAM. Obtaining the Taylor test kit is more of a challenge for you in Canada, but it's a must to keep your water clear. Even if you only get it now to enjoy the last couple months of your swimming season, it will still be good for next year. But any amount of bleach being added, without knowing the "exact" FC and CYA levels, makes doing a SLAM extremely difficult. :(

How frequently are you testing FC and adding bleach? You need to do it hourly during a SLAM if you can manage it. Once a day will not cut it.

I don't want to pile on, but you are seeing exactly why having an accurate test kit is so critical. Without the necessary information, everything we suggest is more or less guesswork.

How much has wasted bleach, time, and frustration cost you as opposed to a good test kit?

Sorry hate posting my negative blubbery. Just so depressed over this where I am I have basically 3 months of pool time and we've lost 2 so far. I may have 2 weeks left if I'm lucky.
What I find so odd is that after I drained the pool scrubbed it and filled within a day it was green but not algae on the bottom. Now it's most deff algae but it's not really going onto the filter in the pump. I'm starting to think I need a much stronger pump for this pool. Last year I had the intex 12' by 30 " pool and upgraded to this pump. Whe the pool went green I cou,d have it clear in 2 days. Now same pump but much bigger pool. Thinking of upgrading for next year. Do you think that will help as well? And whT about switching to salt pump. Will it pretty much be the same for me or will that help on algae. I don't really know to much about it ?

Algae is a chemical problem, not a filtration problem. You can have the best filter in the world, and without enough chlorine you will still get algae.

There's only one reason for algae growth, and that is the lack of enough free chlorine (FC) in your water to prevent it.

Once the algae is dead, a better filtration system will help to clear up the cloudiness faster, but only chlorine will kill it.

You say you have been SLAMMING, but your test kit only measures chlorine up to 5 ppm, and that's total chlorine (TC), not just FC. Some portion of that is likely combined chloramines (CC), meaning your FC is probably even less than whatever you are measuring. TC = FC + CC.

The FC level for a SLAM is 12 if your CYA is 30 as you said. You do not have any way to tell if you are anywhere near that. And obviously you must not be, otherwise your pool would not be green.

I understand your reluctance to spend the money on a test kit, especially this late in the year. But without one, trial and error is about the only other tool available to you. You could drain the pool again, add CYA to get back to 30 ppm again, then double the amount of bleach you were adding daily this last time. I hesitate to make such a suggestion, because your FC level could get dangerously high that way, but without a good test kit, I'm out of options for you.

BTW, how much bleach have you been adding each day? And what strength is it? Is there a date code on the jug anywhere, like 15123 or 2015123?

Sorry hate posting my negative blubbery. Just so depressed over this where I am I have basically 3 months of pool time and we've lost 2 so far. I may have 2 weeks left if I'm lucky.
What I find so odd is that after I drained the pool scrubbed it and filled within a day it was green but not algae on the bottom. Now it's most deff algae but it's not really going onto the filter in the pump. I'm starting to think I need a much stronger pump for this pool. Last year I had the intex 12' by 30 " pool and upgraded to this pump. Whe the pool went green I cou,d have it clear in 2 days. Now same pump but much bigger pool. Thinking of upgrading for next year. Do you think that will help as well? And whT about switching to salt pump. Will it pretty much be the same for me or will that help on algae. I don't really know to much about it ?
I agree with other posters that algae is a chemical problem... and once you have it, it's extremely hard to fight it effectively without a test kit that lets you measure higher chlorine levels.

Going back to equipment issues - it would be very helpful if you set up your signature with your pool and equipment details - that way everyone who thinks about your problems here on the forum will have that information right in front of them. What size pump/filter are you using? I went back to your first post, and you mention a 15' x 42" pool size, upgraded to a larger than OEM pump. In this latest post you mention that you upgraded the pump back when you had a considerably smaller pool, so that puts quite a different spin on the pump/filter currently in use.

Although killing algae is a chemical issue, getting rid of residue requires decent filtration.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.