Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Sprinklers for Gunite

1. Back To Top    #1

Sprinklers for Gunite

What kind is set up did yall do for watering the gunite?
    Free form pool 90'3" prim, 14180 gallons. TF100 Kit In pool table with travertine top, 3sheer descents, Depth 3.5-5-4, Jandy 2HP pump, Inline Chlorinator, Wetedge Satin Matrix Antigua.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Sprinklers for Gunite

Beer(s) in left hand. Hose/nozzle in right.
    13,000 gal.Peanut shaped IG Plaster (med. gray) w/ 7' raised spa. ALL Pentair: Intelliflow 3hp VS, Cartridge filter, 400,000 btu heater, 2.0hp spa motor, Easy Touch control panel & is4 spa side switch, Intellichlor 40C SWG, Paramount PV3 In Floor cleaning system, spa spillway and two sheer descents. Solar: 10 FAFCO panels 1.5hp booster. Testt kits: K-2006 & K1766 (Chloride/Salt) Fill date August 15, 2114.

3. Back To Top    #3

Our builder told us we didn't need to water it. Then again, they said a lot of things lol. We never did water it.
    10k gallon freeform, 3.5-5ft, Jandy 2 speed 1.5HP, Jandy 200sq/ft cartridge, Jandy watercolor LED, 600sq/ft Travertine Decking, 12x7 ledge w/bubbler and umbrella sleeve, 100ft of baby fence with self closing gate, Pebble Sheen Blue Granite w/ablalone shells, Build Start 5/27/15 and completed on 7/15/15.

4. Back To Top    #4

I left on vacation right after they did the shot crete so I told my dad he had to water it 3 or 4 times a day haha.
    Pool is done! Only took 17 months! - Natural shape in-ground pool: 37x23, 505sq ft, 96ft perimeter, 7ft deep end, 18,950 gallons, tanning ledge, blue surf pebble sheen/luminous blue blend, Belgard coping, 910 sqft paver deck/walkways, retaining walls out the yinyang. Jandy SWG, 2 LED Color lights, VS 2HP Pump, 460sqft cartridge filter, PDA RS P8 controller. My build

5. Back To Top    #5

Lol Marco!

JupPool, you are the first one I've heard this from!
    Free form pool 90'3" prim, 14180 gallons. TF100 Kit In pool table with travertine top, 3sheer descents, Depth 3.5-5-4, Jandy 2HP pump, Inline Chlorinator, Wetedge Satin Matrix Antigua.

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Ours was shot in Feb in MD and they said don't bother and we didn't.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

7. Back To Top    #7

Garden sprinkler inside just turned it on

8. Back To Top    #8

I hooked up a garden hose sprinkler to a unused lawn irrigation valve and treated it as another zone on the lawn. 4 times a day for 3 weeks.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

9. Back To Top    #9

nothing fancy. 2 sprinklers on a timer, 4 times a day. also performed manual spraying every once in a while.
    2015 Pool Build --> HERE IG 19'x47' w/ 7'x7' in pool spa; 3'6"-8' deep.
    Pentair 520 Filter, IntelliFlow VS XF Pump, IntelliChlor IC60 SWG, IntelliBrite/GloBrite LEDs, IntelliTouch w/Screenlogic2. 400K BTU heater. A&A G4V in-floor cleaning system. WetEdge Prism Matrix Pebble finish. TechoBloc Pavers and Coping.
    Test kits - Taylor K-2006 FAS/DPD, K-1766 Salt, SpeedStir

10. Back To Top    #10

Soaker hose on the bond beam. Turn it on and walk away
    28k gal/raised spa, IG quartzscape, WhistperFlo 2 speed B2984T,DEV60 filter,Lxi400 NG heater, Polaris 280 cleaner, DIY Chlorine injection, Build completion 7/2013

11. Back To Top    #11

I think JonnyB's option is worth looking into. After messing with my sprinklers to get even coverage. It dawned on me running a soaker house on the entire bond beam would likely deliver the best coverage.

If I had to do it again, think that's what I'd do. Don't know what they cost but I'd definitely look into it.
    Pentair 520 Filter, IntelliFlow VS XF Pump, IntelliChlor IC60 SWG, IntelliBrite/GloBrite LEDs, IntelliTouch w/Screenlogic2. 400K BTU heater. A&A G4V in-floor cleaning system. WetEdge Prism Matrix Pebble finish. TechoBloc Pavers and Coping.

12. Back To Top    #12

I personally didn't like the soaker hose when my PB tried to do it because I was going on vacation. We have huge water bills in Austin and the soaker hose was getting as much water outside of the pool making mud as it was getting inside the pool. Plus inside the pool there were significant areas that weren't getting damp. I decided to manually mist it myself and realized it only took 5 minutes each time and my dad didn't mind doing it so I would do that if you could. If you don't have 5 minutes or can't do it in the afternoon then you could do a sprinkler in the middle of the day and only spray in the morning and at night.

Also my PB said to really soak it at night so it is really wet before bed and the water sits longer.
    Pool is done! Only took 17 months! - Natural shape in-ground pool: 37x23, 505sq ft, 96ft perimeter, 7ft deep end, 18,950 gallons, tanning ledge, blue surf pebble sheen/luminous blue blend, Belgard coping, 910 sqft paver deck/walkways, retaining walls out the yinyang. Jandy SWG, 2 LED Color lights, VS 2HP Pump, 460sqft cartridge filter, PDA RS P8 controller. My build

13. Back To Top    #13

I liked the idea of the water soaking the outside edge. I wanted all that material to settle and flooding always helps the settling process.

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by ummgood View Post
    I personally didn't like the soaker hose when my PB tried to do it because I was going on vacation. We have huge water bills in Austin and the soaker hose was getting as much water outside of the pool making mud as it was getting inside the pool. Plus inside the pool there were significant areas that weren't getting damp. I decided to manually mist it myself and realized it only took 5 minutes each time and my dad didn't mind doing it so I would do that if you could. If you don't have 5 minutes or can't do it in the afternoon then you could do a sprinkler in the middle of the day and only spray in the morning and at night.

Also my PB said to really soak it at night so it is really wet before bed and the water sits longer.
    Thats funny because my builder insisting on having me hand water it or use an oscillating sprinkler. My pool gunite was done in May with direct Texas sunlight after I was done with one end I could see the other end starting to dry out. After I set up the soaker hose I had the best coverage and knew the gunite was constantly being flooded.
    28k gal/raised spa, IG quartzscape, WhistperFlo 2 speed B2984T,DEV60 filter,Lxi400 NG heater, Polaris 280 cleaner, DIY Chlorine injection, Build completion 7/2013

15. Back To Top    #15

whatever option you choose, just make sure you are watering it many times each day, you don't want curing concrete to dry. it needs water to properly cure and hit its design strength. very important, especially during the first 7 days
    Dan
    9,000 gallon in-ground Saltwater pool, plaster, cartridge filer, 1.0 hp pump, Hayward T-15 SWCG, TF-100
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart; Pool School - Test Kits Compared;

16. Back To Top    #16

My pb said don't bother. What issues do I have to look forward to?
    10k gallon freeform, 3.5-5ft, Jandy 2 speed 1.5HP, Jandy 200sq/ft cartridge, Jandy watercolor LED, 600sq/ft Travertine Decking, 12x7 ledge w/bubbler and umbrella sleeve, 100ft of baby fence with self closing gate, Pebble Sheen Blue Granite w/ablalone shells, Build Start 5/27/15 and completed on 7/15/15.

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by JupPool View Post
    My pb said don't bother. What issues do I have to look forward to?
    that would be a red flag for sure. concrete needs water to cure and hit its design strength. you need to water it.
    Dan
    9,000 gallon in-ground Saltwater pool, plaster, cartridge filer, 1.0 hp pump, Hayward T-15 SWCG, TF-100
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart; Pool School - Test Kits Compared;

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by DaninFLA View Post
    that would be a red flag for sure. concrete needs water to cure and hit its design strength. you need to water it.
    Hmm too late now

19. Back To Top    #19

I wet my gunite down a couple of times per day for the 1st few days, then I didn't after that. My PB said it was up to me and that I didn't have to water it. Prestige out of Ft Worth did my gunite and when I asked about watering it, they said I could if I wanted. So basically I did it anyways even though they said I didn't have to.
    102 Perimeter Freeform Pool, Rock Waterfall, Jandy Deck Jets, Depth 3'6" - 6', Stonescapes Aqua Blue Mini Pebble, Inpool Table, Rock Salt Decking, Jandy 2.0 Epump, Jandy 580 Cartridge Filter, Polaris 280 with booster pump, Jandy Power Center w/ PDA, Stenner Pump
    A country boy's pool build...Dean, Texas