Please help 3 week old pool and its green but the numbers look good.

You mean the city water?

I would guess that the majority of inland city water sources were actually well water unless they happen to be close to some big water source like a river or lake. Is that true?

I know where I live I happen to be on a well but the city water in my neighborhood and the whole town is drawn from the exact same aquifer as my well.

updated picture of the pool, it has shown no improvement over my 8 day slam so far. But the CC is gone and im hopeful I will pass the OCLT tonight. If that is the case, than I will bring the FC down to normal levels for a few days than I will add metal magic and I was thinking of picking up the CULATOR metal remover. Does that seem like a good plan?

I am honestly losing faith that the pool will ever be clear.

What you described is reasonable for removal of metals such as iron, but it has little to do with why your pool isn't getting clear. That is an issue of filtration. The SLAM chlorine levels are for killing algae including that which is clumped and for helping to oxidize and coagulate SOME chemicals, but most cloudiness needs to be cleared through circulation and filtration. Are you running your filter 24/7? Have you been brushing regularly to improve circulation and move material to the filter? Have you tried Adding DE to your Sand Filter? Did you ever figure out your true CH level? Did you lower your pH before doing the SLAM (if not you might consider lowering it now though testing pH during a SLAM means diluting the water sample with distilled water to get your FC below 10 ppm)?

I am brushing and vaccuuming everyday. Though im not really sure what im vacuuming as I cant really feel anything on the pool floor.. I will try and adjust the PH to 7.2 this evening. I will also try to add DE to my filter to improve filtration. Thank you for the help everyone. Maybe one day my pool will not look like a pond.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, I have a 2 stage pump and it is running on high 24/7.

I just did a ch test, while the test initially turns purple instead of red, I continued anyway and with one drop of the R0012 the sample turned blue so my CH is

CH 25

Does this mean anything?

- - - Updated - - -

Here is a picture of the inside of my toilets

Ive been slamming for 8 days, at what point do I see even a tiny bit of improvement? I have seen zero improvement in the water quality. Im assuming when Im not losing any FC overnight than I will begin to see improvement in the water?

We pulled the steps out and cleaned them, although I assume it was a waste as they were looking perfectly clean underneath. I just cant imagine bringing a pool back after leaving it unattended over the winter when it takes this long to clear a freshly filled pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes the pressure rose when I added DE, I had to backwash twice today after adding the DE.

FC loss last night was 1.5 We are close, I am optimistic that when the sun comes up in the morning the pool will be slightly clearer. Fingers crossed!

Good morning, Straight6tt.
I know your set up is entirely new, but have you checked the water coming out of the returns to see if its clear or cloudy?

That Slimebag I mentioned before that some people use to reduce metal content might also double to help as a filter aid...they sell an adapter to fit it over a return. I don't own one myself, but have seen several favorable reports. ( The Slime Bag | The Easiest Way To Maintain Crystal Clear Pool Water. )

Then again, time, IME, is all a sand filter usually needs ;) I just know you're anxious to clear and enjoy your new pool.

P.s. re toilets...my toilets use softened water that has about .3 to .5 ppm iron left in it after treatment, and they are not stained. But that level in a pool CAN and WILL stain if ph is high, high chlorine is added etc. without sequestrant. With the purple endpoint in the CH test AND the first clear and immediate green, I don't think there's any question about the presence of metal ;)

Good morning, Straight6tt.
I know your set up is entirely new, but have you checked the water coming out of the returns to see if its clear or cloudy?

That Slimebag I mentioned before that some people use to reduce metal content might also double to help as a filter aid...they sell an adapter to fit it over a return. I don't own one myself, but have seen several favorable reports. ( The Slime Bag | The Easiest Way To Maintain Crystal Clear Pool Water. )

Then again, time, IME, is all a sand filter usually needs ;) I just know you're anxious to clear and enjoy your new pool.

P.s. re toilets...my toilets use softened water that has about .3 to .5 ppm iron left in it after treatment, and they are not stained. But that level in a pool CAN and WILL stain if ph is high, high chlorine is added etc. without sequestrant. With the purple endpoint in the CH test AND the first clear and immediate green, I don't think there's any question about the presence of metal ;)

I dont believe I can use the return slime bag as I have a pentair nitelighter so there is no "eye". But I will look into the one for the skimmer. Thanks for your help. I am going to keep the pool at slam levels for one more day. If I pass OCLT again tonight than I am going to drop it back and prepare for metal magic.

My pool seems like its clearing up. The pool is still green/yellow but I have to believe that is caused by metals. I will know more when I try the metal magic. I can see a quarter on the pool floor but I cannot tell what side it is on.

- - - Updated - - -

If I pass OCLT tonight (for the second straight night) would that be good enough to proceed to the next step (metal removal)?

- - - Updated - - -

Now that I compare the two pictures maybe the "improvement" is just in my head. I guess I want to see improvement when there really isnt any.

For the record the pictures dont show it but I can clearly see the bottom, i cant tell whether the coin is heads or tails but I can see the coin easily.

Ok friends, I have passed OCLT 2 nights in a row. My pool is a pretty clear green. I still cant tell if the quarter is heads or tails but my wife says she can see heads.

Im not planning on adding metal magic until my CULATOR metal remover gets here in a few days. My question is until that time (next 3,4 days) should I keep the pool at slam level or bring it down to normal operating level. Im still swimming in the pool at the slam level so I guess it wouldnt hurt to keep it there, and with a small pool and CYA of 30 im not using that much bleach. So what should I do?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.