Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Levels seem fine but pool water is green.

1. Back To Top    #1

Levels seem fine but pool water is green.

Hey gang. A couple of days ago it rained and afterwards my pool looked a little cloudy and the water had a green tint. My TA levels were around 140 but everything else seemed pretty fine but I would lose a several ppm's of FC each day to where I was adding a half a gallon of bleach each day. I live in Arizona where it's steadily been 106 degrees and I was thinking that was affecting my FC levels, and then I read in a different thread that if you lose more than ppm of chlorine a day something might be wrong. So I started a SLAM and have been doing it for practically 3 days now and the pool is still cloudy and now a little green. Shallow areas look great and clear but the deep end I can barely see the bottom. I'm also adding about a third a gallon of bleach every hour just to keep my FC at shock levels. I can't figure out what's going on. My levels right now are:

16000 gallon pool
    FC 24
    CC 0
    PH 7.4
    TA 120
    CYA 60

I read somewhere else that there might be copper or metal in the water and that's why it's greenish? Would that make the water somewhat cloudy as well? It's not so cloudy that I can't see the drain at the bottom but it's faint. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've spent a lot of money on a lot of bleach and can't afford it.
    16000 Gallons, Plaster, Sand Filter, Hayward Superpump II.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Levels seem fine but pool water is green.

My understanding is that if its cloudy its usually algae, but if its a very clear green it is metal.

How are you testing your water? Some pool stores will test for metals if you ask....?
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

3. Back To Top    #3

I live in Tucson. My CYA is 60 and I keep my FC between 6 and 11, never have algae. My TA is 70 due to high CH. PH 7.3-7.5.

So your numbers do look good, but the FC loss indicates at some point FC may have dropped and algae took over. Have you done an OCLT to confirm that something isn't eating your FC? Brushed the pool and all nooks and crannies, behind pool lights and ladders?
    10000 Gal, IG Pebbletec, pop up cleaners,Hayward EcoStar VS, 425 sq ft Hayward Cartridge, waterfall feature

4. Back To Top    #4

Cloudy with a tint of green = algae

a pretty overall green tint but clear = metal

MOST of the time that is.

How often have you been testing and adding bleach a day?

How are you testing?

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

I have a tf-100 test kit. I've been brushing and ruining my barracuda this entire time and don't have ladders or lights to worry about as far as cleaning goes. I just recently unplugged the skimmer to see if a regular circulation of the water would help anything. So the water isn't perfectly clear so it must be algae? Does it normally take this long to SLAM? I feel like I'm pouring a ton of bleach into the pool and not seeing much of a difference.

6. Back To Top    #6

If you have algae, yes a SLAM can take a while. You will use a lot more bleach in the beginning. My SLAM took 10 days.

Keep asking questions. Brush, brush, brush your pool and as often as you can, add bleach and keep it up to SLAM level.

Lisa P.
    26,000 IG, pebble tec, flagstone, pentair Triton II TR100 sand filter & VS+SVRS 3hp multi-speed pump, Intellichlor IC-40 SWG, Pentair Booster Cleaner, spillover spa, waterfall, Taylor K-2006 testkit
    [It is better to know how to learn, than to know. - Dr. Seuss[/I]

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

Does it normally take this long to SLAM? I feel like I'm pouring a ton of bleach into the pool and not seeing much of a difference.
    Yes, it does.....and you are pouring in a ton of bleach and you are getting results (the chlorine is killing that algae).....you just can't see those results - yet.

You are doing a great job of keeping the FC up so don't let that slip. At some point in the future the chlorine demand will loosen and your water will turn to greyish-green then hazy blue and finally crystal clear. Some pools take longer than others but you are doing just fine....don't give up on the chlorine......it works!
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

while you wait it wouldn't hurt to check the date code on the liq chlorine.
    10,500 gal IG, Topaz Pebble, auto-level
    Hayward DE filter, 2HP Ecostar VSP, ProLogic PS-4, GVA actuators
    Cal Pools Wave Force Plus (wall return jets plus 2 floor pop-ups), Venturi Skimmer
    Water sheer, 2 wok pots, bubbler stem on the baja step
    ColorLogic Mutlicolor LED lamp. Taylor 2006+speed stir

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Pogueld View Post
    If you have algae, yes a SLAM can take a while. You will use a lot more bleach in the beginning. My SLAM took 10 days.

Keep asking questions. Brush, brush, brush your pool and as often as you can, add bleach and keep it up to SLAM level.

Lisa P.
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    10 days! Is this bleach/slam method really the best way?

10. Back To Top    #10

Yes!!! It is. I had an algae outbreak last summer for the first time in our pool. The pool was 3 years old. We tried algaecides, shock, etc. Two diffident pool stores, two different suggestions. I had lurked on this forum and learned a little, but one pool store sold us a product called Silvertrine. It's about $40 a bottle. It worked, but I would have to add it every week. I spent well over $400 in two months from pool store advice. I had ordered the test kit, but since the Silvertrine worked, I just didn't worry about it. Who knows what we were swimming in!

Water was clear over the winter so I still didn't worry. Spring came -ALGAE! and this time worse. I resorted to Silvertrine, but it just came back too quickly. I decided enough was enough and I wanted to control my pool. I learned SOOOO much about my pool. I am a true member of the pool school geek club. And I am the QUEEN of my pool!! I know more about how the equipment works, the chemistry, the safety, etc. It was worth it and I spent way less $$$ than last summer. I'm still learning and adjusting and figuring out my pool's personality. Here is a visual of my pool's progress. It is very worth it. .

Lisa P.
    26,000 IG, pebble tec, flagstone, pentair Triton II TR100 sand filter & VS+SVRS 3hp multi-speed pump, Intellichlor IC-40 SWG, Pentair Booster Cleaner, spillover spa, waterfall, Taylor K-2006 testkit

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP and SLAM are the best for clearing and STAYING clear in the long run! This will work. It is NOT fun right now BUT it will work!

Do something for me........take a pic of your pool looking down at the steps or something in the pool. I want you to post that pic and take one every day and post it. THAT will help you see the progress day by day. It is hard to see with the naked eye. The pics will help.

HUGS! It does work!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

12. Back To Top    #12

Yes! Kim gives excellent advice about the pictures! They give you small victories!

Lisa P.

13. Back To Top    #13

image.jpgI've got this one photo. You can see the steps in the distance. At work and I'll take better ones when I get home. Thanks for being encouraging. This seems so daunting but I'll just have faith in the process and see where it takes me.

edit: sorry about sideways photo. Posted from my phone.

14. Back To Top    #14

Nice pool! That isn't so bad, a SLAM should clear that up pretty quickly. Keep your FC just under shock level and swim-n-slam. That is what we did a few weeks ago. It is safe to swim when FC is above minimum and below shock level for your CYA, Chlorine CYA Chart.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

15. Back To Top    #15

Aright, I don't know what happened overnight but all the green is gone in my pool. It's amazing. Looking clearer but not crystal clear so I'll keep at it. This SLAM stuff TFP way is remarkable. Here's a picture of my steps and the pool now.
    IMG_7590.jpg

16. Back To Top    #16

Keep SLAMing and brush the pool daily, especially the deep end.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

17. Back To Top    #17

OH yeah! Another one one goes clear! SWEET!

Do like Casey says and you will be able to read the heads/tails on a coin in the deep end!

Kim

18. Back To Top    #18

Going to keep at it. At this point is there any knowing how much more SLAM'ing I need to do? What indicates I can quit and stop running the pump 24/7?

19. Back To Top    #19

When you PASS these three items!

-CLEAR pool-No dust on the floor, clear as a bell
    -OCLT Pool School - Perform the Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT)
    -cc is less that .5

Once you get ALL three at the same time LOL you are DONE!

Kim

20. Back To Top    #20

Lookin' good! Don't stop too soon!

Be sure to pass all three tests!

Lisa P.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast